Keychain Issue

facecard

May 16, 2017
Visit site
I have a MBA running Sierra. This is a teachers laptop and I am signed in under her account. Frequently, the "Accountsd Wants to Use the Login Keychain" message will appear and after I enter the password to the account it will disappear. It doesn't always appear but something prompts it to appear.

Obviously there is no Keychain First Aid anymore so I can't use it. I don't really want to mess around too much with the laptop because it is not mine and I don't want to lose anything saved.

I have already looked at the support document (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201609) and I don't know if changing the password for "login" will resolve the issue.

However now I am getting "com.apple.icloudHelper wants to use "login" keychain" message. I don't know if changing the password for "login" as described in the document will resolve ANY keychain message where it wants the password.

Going forward, I need to resolve this issue so it doesn't keep asking and prompting for a password. Then I can give back the laptop to the teacher.

I am cautious about doing anything with Keychain because it is not my passwords and related information.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Is the password for her account the same or different from the keychain password? By default when you create an account the keychains are locked by the account password, but you can change the keychain password, which would then prompt you for the password each time an app accesses or tries to update the keychain (which is what that support document says.) If the passwords are the same, you shouldn't be prompted like that.

The only other thing I can think of: Open the app Keychain Access. With the "login" keychain highlighted on the top left pane, choose the menu Edit | Change settings for Keychain "login"..., which should bring up a dialog box (well, for you it should ask for the keychain password again.) Are either of the "lock" boxes checked? On my system, they are un-checked. ("Lock after xx minutes of inactivity" and "lock after sleeping".) Try un-checking them.

facecard

May 16, 2017
Visit site
I tried the following with no resolution.

- I went into Keychain and chose "Change Password for Keychain "login" and gave another password. Next I restarted.

I signed in and I was continuing to get all kinds of Keychain messages....Safari, Accountsd, etc... I knew what I did was not the overall fix.

- I reset the laptop password hoping to be prompted with Keychain messages about Creating a new one or Continue. I didn't get those messages.

At this point, I continue to get Keychain messages and I know I could delete the folder but I don't want to risk losing the data already saved.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner