Keeping UNLIMITED DATA PLAN

Jdeezy85

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, first of all I wanted to say I'm new here and this will be my first iphone after dissapointments with droid for years...

Ok I have read the last thread about trying to keep my grandfathered plan and just a bit confused. This is what I was going to do and in the process of doing already. Please correct me if I'm doing anything wrong. I have verizon as my carrier btw.

My line is actually one line out 4 in a family share plan. I have had unlimited data for about 4-5 years now and after reading up on various sites on how to possibly save my grandfathered plan I decided to do this:
My mother has a dummy phone(as she thinks shes not so tech savy to get a smartphone) She has an upgrade and I also have an upgrade on my line(unlimited data line) I first used her upgrade to order the iphone 5 and was given the choice to ad 2gb of data, mind you she has a dummy phone.... So my plan is to activate the phone 5 on her line when I recieve it since I ordered the phone with her upgrade + data. After I recieve the phone and activate on her line, I then de-activate the phone off her line and re-activate her old dummy phone back on her line. I then deactivate mycurrent droid on my unlimited line and activate the new iphone 5 on to my line to keep my unlimited data. OR do I just activate the phone straight to my line(unlimited data line)?

Is this the way to do it? The reason Im confused is because i think i read a few responses of people talking about how the sim card is activated it cant be put back on another line or number and need to obtain a new sim? Please any input on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

cman6453

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Does the family share plan cover all phones on the account? If so, seems to me that Verizon will require the plan to be "upgraded" to the new tiered family share plan because of the iPhone upgrade to your mom's line. Not sure how they'd handle that though because then every phone on the account should be eligible for an upgrade.

4G phones on Verizon's network can be swapped like-for-like meaning the SIM card is the determining factor. The SIM card between the 2 devices being swapped must be the same. I tried cutting a standard 4G SIM card from an Incredible 2 to activate/switch to an Incredible 4G via Verizon's website. FAIL. I had to go in and get a micro-SIM for the Incredible and they activated in-store for me.

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
If you are using AT&T, like me, they use nano-SIMs. If you ordered it on another line and want to switch the number, exactly as I'm doing, you will need to get a new nano-SIM from AT&T. I've done this before, switching from mini-SIM to micro-SIM, and it's not a problem, except standing in line behind all the people buying phones. Just be careful not to drop your new iPhone on the pavement, like the woman in line behind me.

If it's true that they can change the number without swapping SIMs, I'm pretty sure you'll still have to go to AT&T to do it.

Jdeezy85

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Does the family share plan cover all phones on the account? If so, seems to me that Verizon will require the plan to be "upgraded" to the new tiered family share plan because of the iPhone upgrade to your mom's line. Not sure how they'd handle that though because then every phone on the account should be eligible for an upgrade.

4G phones on Verizon's network can be swapped like-for-like meaning the SIM card is the determining factor. The SIM card between the 2 devices being swapped must be the same. I tried cutting a standard 4G SIM card from an Incredible 2 to activate/switch to an Incredible 4G via Verizon's website. FAIL. I had to go in and get a micro-SIM for the Incredible and they activated in-store for me.

For each line added we pay $10 and no they didnt force a share plan on us just required the upgrade to my moms line for $30 for 2gb data which I plan on canceling after adding her dumb phone back on.

iJDR

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, first of all I wanted to say I'm new here and this will be my first iphone after dissapointments with droid for years...

Ok I have read the last thread about trying to keep my grandfathered plan and just a bit confused. This is what I was going to do and in the process of doing already. Please correct me if I'm doing anything wrong. I have verizon as my carrier btw.

My line is actually one line out 4 in a family share plan. I have had unlimited data for about 4-5 years now and after reading up on various sites on how to possibly save my grandfathered plan I decided to do this:
My mother has a dummy phone(as she thinks shes not so tech savy to get a smartphone) She has an upgrade and I also have an upgrade on my line(unlimited data line) I first used her upgrade to order the iphone 5 and was given the choice to ad 2gb of data, mind you she has a dummy phone.... So my plan is to activate the phone 5 on her line when I recieve it since I ordered the phone with her upgrade + data. After I recieve the phone and activate on her line, I then de-activate the phone off her line and re-activate her old dummy phone back on her line. I then deactivate mycurrent droid on my unlimited line and activate the new iphone 5 on to my line to keep my unlimited data. OR do I just activate the phone straight to my line(unlimited data line)?

Is this the way to do it? The reason Im confused is because i think i read a few responses of people talking about how the sim card is activated it cant be put back on another line or number and need to obtain a new sim? Please any input on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I was in the same boat when I ordered a Galaxy Nexus, called verizon to activate it straight on my number (Unlimited Line) and it worked perfectly fine even tho it was ordered on another line on my plan

ibanana

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I did the same thing. Used my dad's upgrade for my phone (mine wasn't until next month) and then the guy at AT&T is going to do all the switching me around the day I get the phone.

Jdeezy85

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I was in the same boat when I ordered a Galaxy Nexus, called verizon to activate it straight on my number (Unlimited Line) and it worked perfectly fine even tho it was ordered on another line on my plan

So don't activate on my mothers line first? Just call and tell them to activate straight to my line? Even when it was the upgrade for my mothers phone?

iJDR

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
So don't activate on my mothers line first? Just call and tell them to activate straight to my line? Even when it was the upgrade for my mothers phone?

Correct, Youll have to give them the sim number and the phone MEID...Then they take care of the rest

Jdeezy85

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Hmmmm... I'm scared.... Don't want to lose the unlimited. Anyone else do it another way? In my head it still makes sense to activate it on the original linei upgraded from and then deactivate, put the dummy phone back on her account and activate the now"old phone" to my unlimited line...... What to do.......

patton4549

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Just call Verizon when you get your phone and ask them. the cs reps are not trying to take our unlimited and generally try to help that's what I'm doing first if they say I have to activate first I will but if I can save a trip to Verizon I will. as far as not needing a new nano sim if you activate and deactivate I think we will have to wait and see its a new style sim and we wont know for sure till we get them in our hand.

number2448

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I agree with everyone else. I have 3 phones on my plan (2 dummy phones and 1 smartphone) and I have unlimited data on mine. One of the dummy phones is due for an upgrade so I am using that one and activating iphone5 on my line. I wouldn't waste your time activating your mom's account, etc. It will work fine.

Jdeezy85

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
ok but will the phone be locked to that number? I'm looking at my accounts online and my mothers line is blurred out and says waiting for activation of new device.

BTW i have the option of switching my current droid phone to my mothers account, should i do that and then add the ip 5 to my line?

Last edited:

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Do it the first way u said activate on moms add data then ESN swap back to dummy phone dropping the data the the 5 is a free "used" device and you can just activate it on your line keeping your data

Jdeezy85

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Do it the first way u said activate on moms add data then ESN swap back to dummy phone dropping the data the the 5 is a free "used" device and you can just activate it on your line keeping your data

This was what I was thinking. And makes the most sense but some people are saying just to activate on my line..... Grrr.... So many conflicting answers..... What to do...l...???

Audizine

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Just explain to CS what you're doing. They know what they have to do. The way they always did for me was that they have to activate briefly on the line that you purchase the phone. Then they transfer it to your line. It only takes couple of minutes for the whole process if they know what they are doing. As far as I understand they have to activate it on the other line first because the phone is registered on that line or the system won't recognize. The last 3 smartphones I activated... I had to buy the phone using someone else's line.
Hope that clears up for you.

coltsbr

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
If you use a line that has a "dummy" phone on it right now and you use it to get an iPhone, the iPhone is locked to that line and number. You can't use that upgrade and then swap the new iPhone to your line now that has an iPhone and then put a dummy phone back on the line you just used to upgrade.

DonaldSN

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Just so you know, you might be keeping your unlimited, but wait until your mother wants a new phone and ends up using your upgrade or her phone breaks and she wants a new one. Granted its a temporary fix, but nothing permanent.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh