Just bought my first ever MacBook Pro

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
So it arrived today. Super easy set up. No issues at all. No issues with navigation. Super easy.
I am having a bit of an existential crisis about apps. I thought I’d have the same apps as I do on my iPhone and my iPad. But no Facebook, Netflix, or the news apps I use. It’s bizarre using the browser. I did find Hulu and Amazon Prime. Also no TurboTax in the App Store.
It is FAST. BLAZING FAST. Incredible screen and THE. PERFECT. SIZE. Keyboard is a dream. Touch ID is fantastic.
Once I get Facebook pinned to my dock I’ll be fine. I think.

On the apps front, it’s up to the developer to make an app available if they do so wish.

In some cases, like Overcast (a podcatcher), the developer decided to make the iPad version available to Apple Silicon Mac users. Facebook and Netflix decided otherwise.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
On the apps front, it’s up to the developer to make an app available if they do so wish.

In some cases, like Overcast (a podcatcher), the developer decided to make the iPad version available to Apple Silicon Mac users. Facebook and Netflix decided otherwise.

Oh I know who decides to make the apps. It’s just a bit of a shock to having to use the browser for the same apps I use on my iPhone and iPad. I’d expected the apps to be the same except richer on the Mac.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Also just attempted to use my card reader on my Mac (it’s a sleigh card reader) to use workplace as a service and came to find out that it doesn’t have any regular ports, only USB-C ports.

So not all the apps I use and no USB ports.

This is bad. Very bad. I’m going to have to end up buying a new Windows machine anyway on top of this MacBook.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Oh I know who decides to make the apps. It’s just a bit of a shock to having to use the browser for the same apps I use on my iPhone and iPad. I’d expected the apps to be the same except richer on the Mac.

I understand the expectation, I really do.

I was just trying to shine the light on whom to hold responsible.

Also just attempted to use my card reader on my Mac (it’s a sleigh card reader) to use workplace as a service and came to find out that it doesn’t have any regular ports, only USB-C ports.

If your card reader uses USB type A (legacy USB connector), all you need is an adapter like this one: https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...2AM%2FA%2Fusb-c-to-usb-adapter&token=BSWbI4PX

Many other companies make adapters like this one, so don’t hesitate to shop around :)

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
So I’ve been using my new MacBook Pro for two weeks now.

Transition fully completed.

I even managed to get my work’s WorkPlace as a Service launched so now I don’t need to use my work issued laptop.

And all I can say is WOW.

I NOW SEE THE LOVE.

and so happy the battery life is RIDICULOUSLY long. My work laptop literally dies in five hours. My MacBook Pro lasts and entire day until at night when I go to bed with a movie. Last night I started Vikings Valhalla after using it since lunch or so and it was still running this morning. That was almost what? 20 hours???? INSANE.

I’m im love.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73