Just bought my first ever MacBook Pro

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
In all this time, I’ve never had a MacBook. Or an Air. This is my first Apple computer.

I’m terrified.

Let’s see how this goes. Pray for me.

Mars20

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site
In all this time, I’ve never had a MacBook. Or an Air. This is my first Apple computer.

I’m terrified.

Congratulations! Don't be frightened - enjoy learning how to use your new device.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I’m terrified.

Don’t be terrified. It won’t take you long to adjust, especially if you’ve used Windows 10/11. It’s difficult to go back to Windows once you’ve grasped how thing work on a Mac…. :)

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Don’t be terrified. It won’t take you long to adjust, especially if you’ve used Windows 10/11. It’s difficult to go back to Windows once you’ve grasped how thing work on a Mac…. :)

Well I’m be a dual user since my work laptop is a Dell.

I was a bit disappointed that it’s only a 13” but oh well….

Edit: I should explain….I got the 13 inch for better portability but I loved my desktop replacement 17 inch.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Well I’m be a dual user since my work laptop is a Dell.

I was a bit disappointed that it’s only a 13” but oh well….

Edit: I should explain….I got the 13 inch for better portability but I loved my desktop replacement 17 inch.

I bought a cheap Dell laptop (15.6”) Windows 11 to tinker with out of curiosity, and visually it has a Mac vibe to it. There are some things I like about it, but not enough to make me switch from my Mac full time.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
Congratulations. First big positive shock for me, once I get the feel of it, is how superior the trackpad is on a Mac. After enough times using my M1 MBA, I very much do not like having to go back to the work Dell trackpad. Apple hits it out of the park on navigation with the trackpad
A couple of points:
-Patience getting used to the mac’s one & two finger click versus the way windows machines have worked (L and R clicks).
-Patience with getting used to bring the cursor up top to bring down the upper left Apple icon containing commands like reboot. Going to the lower left was baked in for me.
-On a Mac Closing the app is usually not quitting the app.
-Imho system settings menu navigation takes a lot of getting used to
Take some time to learn integration with other Apple devices. I use continuity camera regularly (my 14 pro max is the best web cam I have ever used). Even copy and paste (I typically copy on my iPhone then paste on my Mac, use case)

BOL

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Congratulations. First big positive shock for me, once I get the feel of it, is how superior the trackpad is on a Mac. After enough times using my M1 MBA, I very much do not like having to go back to the work Dell trackpad. Apple hits it out of the park on navigation with the trackpad
A couple of points:
-Patience getting used to the mac’s one & two finger click versus the way windows machines have worked (L and R clicks).
-Patience with getting used to bring the cursor up top to bring down the upper left Apple icon containing commands like reboot. Going to the lower left was baked in for me.
-On a Mac Closing the app is usually not quitting the app.
-Imho system settings menu navigation takes a lot of getting used to
Take some time to learn integration with other Apple devices. I use continuity camera regularly (my 14 pro max is the best web cam I have ever used). Even copy and paste (I typically copy on my iPhone then paste on my Mac, use case)

BOL

Fantastic information. Thank you!!!!

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
I moved do the Mac ~3 years ago, after 30+ years of professional Windows use.
It took me a few days/weeks, and now it's just great.
From time to time I have to do stuff on a Windows computer, and always get annoyed over stupid questions/unclear problems that occur after a few minutes only.
Somebody would have to pay me loads of money to convince me to go back permanently.
So don't worry and enjoy the journey.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I moved do the Mac ~3 years ago, after 30+ years of professional Windows use.
It took me a few days/weeks, and now it's just great.
From time to time I have to do stuff on a Windows computer, and always get annoyed over stupid questions/unclear problems that occur after a few minutes only.
Somebody would have to pay me loads of money to convince me to go back permanently.
So don't worry and enjoy the journey.

Yeah I’ll be a dual user for a while. They don’t issue macs at work and I’m not on track so retire so…..

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
If you happen to live near an Apple Store, they have a “Today At Apple” session for New Mac users.

Yeah closest one to me is Reston. But I’ve gotten lazy about driving ever since I’ve been working from home (since 2020.)

I’ll just play with it and muddle through.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
So it arrived today. Super easy set up. No issues at all. No issues with navigation. Super easy.
I am having a bit of an existential crisis about apps. I thought I’d have the same apps as I do on my iPhone and my iPad. But no Facebook, Netflix, or the news apps I use. It’s bizarre using the browser. I did find Hulu and Amazon Prime. Also no TurboTax in the App Store.
It is FAST. BLAZING FAST. Incredible screen and THE. PERFECT. SIZE. Keyboard is a dream. Touch ID is fantastic.
Once I get Facebook pinned to my dock I’ll be fine. I think.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro