Just bought an iPhone 8 Plus - The janky scrolling is killing my OCD.

STiK

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Just what the title says. Is the janky scrolling in mostly 3rd party apps something that reared its ugly head with iOS 11 and will be gone with iOS 12? Or do I need to temper my expectations a bit. I am coming from a Pixel 2 which rarely ever had a stutter to be found.

Thanks

STiK

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I haven’t experienced any lag that I know of other than AV with Bluetooth. I do agree with the 3rd party apps not being optimized, although one would think Twitter and other well developed apps would be fairly optimized. Outside of the Pixel, Google apps are janky on Android as well.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Had my 8 Plus since release day, no issues with scrolling. Not even on my previous 6s, or in any of the iOS betas I've tested.

Have you performed a hard reset (this does not delete or re-install anything)?

Quickly press and release volume up key. Quickly press and release volume down key. Press and hold down power button (even if you see "Slide to power off", keep pressing the button) until you see the Apple logo, then release and allow the phone to reboot.

If that does not help with the scrolling issue, reset all settings under Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. You'll need to re-add WiFi passwords, Fingerprints, and any cards added to Wallet.

If you try both of those things and they still have not helped, let us know and we'll discuss where to go from there.

STiK

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I noticed this on an 8 and an 8 Plus. I think that I am just spoiled with fluidity of the Pixel 2. In a talk with the IT guy at work, he basically said that it is something I just need to get used to with 3rd party apps on iOS as it has always been this way. I have OCD so I see things that most people just overlook. What seems fine to you might drive me nuts.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I noticed this on an 8 and an 8 Plus. I think that I am just spoiled with fluidity of the Pixel 2. In a talk with the IT guy at work, he basically said that it is something I just need to get used to with 3rd party apps on iOS as it has always been this way. I have OCD so I see things that most people just overlook. What seems fine to you might drive me nuts.

iOS 12 is supposed to be smoother. Those beta testers say it is even on the first build.

tr1ad

Trusted Member
Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Have never noticed what you're describing in any apple device, not even an iPhone 5 that still is in use .... I've noticed you said the same in another thread... Perhaps you cut losses and go back to the pixel

KidAKidB

Jun 10, 2018
Visit site
I just sold my Pixel 2 XL, but I definitely notice a bit of janky scrolling on my new iPhone X compared to the Pixel. Not to the point where it really bothers me though.

STiK

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
My guess is that most people are as you are. Either they are just used to it and don't notice it or notice it but it doesn't really bother them. I am used to it in most devices, I just didn't expect it to be this bad on the iPhone. As someone previously mentioned, maybe it will be toned down some in iOS 12.

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
1) OCD is treatable. It amazes me how many people claim to be OCD, and laugh about it like it’s a good thing. If you really have been diagnosed, seek treatment.

2) The janky scrolling doesn’t exists. If you open an app like Tapatalk, and start scrolling before the app updates its data, I can see where a non-technical person would assume that was lag. Let the app update, then scroll.

3) Your IT guy told you what he did to get rid of you. He/she wishes to be left alone.

STiK

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
1) Yes OCD is treatable in most cases. I am however not sure where I actually laughed about it.

2) I am fully aware of the difference between lag and jank (aka stuttering). I previously stated that my iPhone does not lag other than av sync over bluetooth. Jank caused by lack of proper data preloading or animations is indeed an issue and can be fixed by the developer if they so choose. Android used to suffer greatly from this and still does on some lower end devices. One would think that a device with the A11 Bionic would not have this issue. As I said, maybe this is something that will be toned down a bit with the iOS 12 update. The same apps do not have this issue on my Pixel 2.

3) As far as my IT guy getting rid of me. I had to chuckle a bit at that. We are constantly picking each others brains as far as Computers, networking, gadgets, etc. are concerned.. Beyond that, I stay out of his way as he is the companies IT guy. I go to him for my iOS questions as he has experience with it. He comes to me for Android questions when he is dealing with friends or coworkers that are having issues.

I'm not sure of your intentions with your reply but you really should ask questions before merely assuming. As some of us non-technical guys might get offended ;)

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
What apps, besides Twitter, are you experiencing stuttering? Others may have the same issue. I don’t use Twitter, so I wouldn’t know about this problem.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro