I've locked out from my Facebook account because of the two-factor authentication

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi Ed7789, thanks for your answer.
The problem is that I changed my smartphone and my Microsofot Authenticator account was not backed up. I reset my old smartphone and on the new one I don't have my facebook account anymore. So when facebook asks me to enter the 6 digit code in 30 seconds, I can't do anything because my facebook account is not on my Microsoft Authenticator anymore.

Do you think I have a chance to contact Microsoft Authenticator so that they reinstall my facebook account in the application? It's like for facebook, I can't find any contact at Microsofot Authenticator.

Thanks a lot for your help and have a nice day. Daniel

Hello and welcome to iMore Daniel. I hope you're able to find a solution to your issue. Can you clarify specifically which model of smartphone you're having issues with?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi Ed7789, thanks for your answer.
The problem is that I changed my smartphone and my Microsofot Authenticator account was not backed up. I reset my old smartphone and on the new one I don't have my facebook account anymore. So when facebook asks me to enter the 6 digit code in 30 seconds, I can't do anything because my facebook account is not on my Microsoft Authenticator anymore.

Do you think I have a chance to contact Microsoft Authenticator so that they reinstall my facebook account in the application? It's like for facebook, I can't find any contact at Microsofot Authenticator.

You need to contact Facebook Support regarding this matter. They will be the only ones who can assist you in getting back into your account.

tilili

Sep 8, 2022
Visit site
Thank you Just_Me_D
You are right. Since several days i search to contact facebook support but no way. I don't find any formular or adresse or phone number. But i know that it exist but where ?? If you have an idea, let me know. Thank you and have a nice evening. Daniel

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thank you Just_Me_D
You are right. Since several days i search to contact facebook support but no way. I don't find any formular or adresse or phone number. But i know that it exist but where ?? If you have an idea, let me know. Thank you and have a nice evening. Daniel

You’re welcome. As for a phone number for Facebook Support? I doubt it. This USAToday articles from a few months ago says it all.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/tips/2022/04/07/how-to-contact-facebook-help-center/7247319001/

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site

Hi Daniel,

As some of the other replies mention, you will need to go through Facebook.
Microsoft does not store or backup your authenticator tokens on their servers. As such, they simply don't have them.

They do offer a backup feature in their app that uses iCloud to store an encrypted copy of your tokens - a copy that you will need your Microsoft account to unlock. This will not help you right now, but it might help you in the future if such a situation reoccurs.

Tomer Goldenberg

Oct 21, 2022
Visit site
Same thing here happened to us. This is beyond frustrating. No 'Other Options' available to get through the two factor authentication. Why is this so messed up?! Has anyone been able to make any progress?

Emily PC

Jan 13, 2023
Visit site
I am in the same exact situation, and wanted to reply to everyone commenting suggestions that are super obvious. This isn't something we can fix, we've tried literally everything. What we need is the ability to contact facebook without having to be logged in, because that's the issue - we can't login. A direct contact at facebook can send new codes to use for 2FA that will get us logged in - without some way to access codes apart from being logged into facebook and using the code generator, or having the code texted (because that's not working) - there is nothing we can do. There isn't a FB help page, there isn't a point of contact, we are literally screwed unless someone who was in this exact situation and figured it out helps, or we get a contact within fb.

I am a social media director who is over a team that manages 30 facebook pages. We spend thousands on ads. I have been on facebook since 2004, i am not an amateur, this is literally part of my career. I was able to get a human through the Meta business manager, but they said they can not help with personal pages. My only remaining options is to buy an oculus because they have access to customer service, or i have been adding meta employees on linkedin hoping to connect with someone internally who can help. My point is that this is absolutely insane, and i personally believe will be the end of facebook. 10 years from now, we will either not use facebook the same way, or we will have totally moved on. The lack of customer support has a ripple effect, especially when it's tied to money. Today, we have no other options, but I look forward to what's next and the day facebook becomes irrelevant. The TLDR of this is Karma will catch up, but in the meantime anyone who has advanced experience, please help!

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
There are so much scams and frauds out there that most companies have to do this multiple authentification which I think it’s so ridiculous. There were a couple incident where I was locked out of my old email that I been using for about 10 years cause I had to verify to a number that I don’t even use or another email where I got locked out which does not make sense. So just have to make new accounts for no reason

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
It’s up to each individual to be careful and vigilant about their own security. Criminals are like rats… they will always find a way. So we have to stay steps ahead of them and keep up to date on scams and what not to do.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
It’s up to each individual to be careful and vigilant about their own security. Criminals are like rats… they will always find a way. So we have to stay steps ahead of them and keep up to date on scams and what not to do.