iTunes 12.5.1.21 can't set default video quality

durfmobile

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Since Sierra / iTunes 12.5.1, iTunes Preferences no longer gives the option to set preferred video quality. It used to be 1080/720/480, but now it only shows "Playback Quality : Good / Best Available", which does not set the default to 1080, nor does it really specify if it means audio or video. You have to right click on EACH video file and select "Video Quality > 720, 480, 1080" and for some reason the Default for every single movie is now 720. I have 1080 and 480 (SD) for a ton of movies, most don't have 720. Now, since the default is 720 it chooses to play 480. I have to go through that right-click option for every single movie in order to playback in 1080. Select All doesn't work, the option isn't there.

I googled this and found nothing. I've dug through all of the menus (I think).
Am I missing something?
Is anyone else having this issue?
Thanks in advance!

abubasim

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I have the exact same problem. I was watching a TV series and noticed it was playing in VGA resolution. I thought it was odd as I was sure I had also purchased and downloaded the 1080p version of the same. After a while I found the Video Quality option when selecting a video to play.
And searching online there are no hits on Apple's discussions site and then I found your post here. The only difference for me is that I'm still on El Camino.

It seems that when Apple are adding new features they have to remove something else.