It's Official The Iphone Is A Dud!!!

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
Wasn't the first shipment completely sold out over the first weekend? 146,000 sold doesn't sound so bad if only 150,000 were available. We need more info.

treobk214

Apr 7, 2003
Visit site
Wasn't the first shipment completely sold out over the first weekend? 146,000 sold doesn't sound so bad if only 150,000 were available. We need more info.

The gloating over this news is pretty funny. How many treo 180s or 300s were sold on the first few months? How many of HTC`s earliest devices were sold in the first few weeks? :D :D Wouldn`t HTC and palm have LOVED to have been able to boast such numbers with their initial offerings?
Oh, I certainly think so.

150,000 to 200,000 sold over the first few weeks? Not bad at all for apple`s first step into the cellphone arena - with their expensive HIGH END model no less. Wait until the low to mid level iphone nanos arrive at $199 to $299 price tags. Folks will be dumping their razors for these babies like crazy.

Please. Let the apple haters blow their hot air. Give it some time and apple will relandscape the mobile industry for them.

ronbo2000

Mar 16, 2003
Visit site
Interesting that you moved it here rather than to the dedicated iPhone forum at Phone Different.

I actually posted the same news at PD a couple of hours before the first post in this thread, but I guess it went pretty much unnoticed :(
Until the new site comes up, I can not do it. The links breaks between here and PhoneDifferent.

It will be addressed in the future.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
The gloating over this news is pretty funny. How many treo 180s or 300s were sold on the first few months? How many of HTC`s earliest devices were sold in the first few weeks? :D :D Wouldn`t HTC and palm have LOVED to have been able to boast such numbers with their initial offerings?
Oh, I certainly think so.

150,000 to 200,000 sold over the first few weeks? Not bad at all for apple`s first step into the cellphone arena - with their expensive HIGH END model no less. Wait until the low to mid level iphone nanos arrive at $199 to $299 price tags. Folks will be dumping their razors for these babies like crazy.

Please. Let the apple haters blow their hot air. Give it some time and apple will relandscape the mobile industry for them.
I don't recall the hype when a Treo or HTC device was released. Were there commercials on every channel every 10 minutes? News stories? Articles?

Please. These numbers, if accurate, are the least that Apple could have done with this device considering how it was "reinventing the phone".

As stated like 20 times already (especially in the other iPhone thread): no one is denying that a couple hundred thousand sold phones is not a lot or is not impressive.

But in comparison to expectations of the market, it may have under-performed, hence the gloating. Very different things.

One could also argue that the iPhone will be "just another device" on a single carrier in the U.S., limiting it's impact.

tony bag o donuts

Oct 5, 2005
Visit site
When I had Cingular for a year I always changed plans without penalty, but now I hear that they operate the same. Verizon allows you to add features without penalty, i.e. data, sms, mms. But thats it. If you are modifying your plan, that to me is changing your contract and they have every right to extend it two years.

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
When I had Cingular for a year I always changed plans without penalty, but now I hear that they operate the same. Verizon allows you to add features without penalty, i.e. data, sms, mms. But thats it. If you are modifying your plan, that to me is changing your contract and they have every right to extend it two years.
You can modify your rate plan (up/down) without a new contract. But going down you expunge your saved up rollover minutes.
And I disagree, I don't see any justification for re-upping a contract by simply changing how many minutes you buy. But if changing to new type plan to take advantage of new features (unlimited M2M, etc. or in the case of universal, unlimited calls to AT&T landline) then that would be considered a new promotional plan and a contract seems justified.
I read on a Yahoo group someone got slapped with a new contract for removing an add-on line from her family plan (the primary holder). That makes no sense at all. It does for the line that was being moved to a single plan, but the family holder shouldn't have to.

Sorry this is off-topic.

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
Another one of these threads?

The phone had a lot of hype, certainly, but we ARE talking about a 5 or 600.00 phone that is only available on one carrier.

I'm not saying 170k is a lot, I', saying that WHO KNOWS if that's a lot right now? Does anyone know how many 700w's sold the first 2 days? More specifically, in the first 30 hours?

Despite some post here to the contrary, Palm did hype one of their phones. The 700w. Hawkins and Gates at that press conference announcing "A Treo with Windows Mobile" and advertisements everywhere before it came out. Was it hyped as much as the iPhone? Of course not. But that comparison would be great, considering Treo's were already an established product and so was windows mobile.

theog

Apr 22, 2005
Visit site
Sprint does the same.

Does sprint allow for a one-time change? I change my sero plan and my date did not change. Of course, I went up so maybe they waived it...

I agree with some of the others in this post, the iphone is a lot more than about 500,000 sales... this phone will push others to (hopefully MS and Palm) to think more about the UI than before. Maybe they -- or others -- will attempt to follow HTC's lead. I guess you could argue that HTC follow apple, but (I guess) you could have to know how long htc had their product in development....

Anyway, the iphone it is not a failure by any means. Plus you still have people, like my two cousins, who are waiting until their current contracts are up before making the leap, or even those waiting on iphone ver. 2 before jumping over. I do not want one due to ATT (not very good here, IMO), but many others do....

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Wasn't the first shipment completely sold out over the first weekend? 146,000 sold doesn't sound so bad if only 150,000 were available.
As I posted in the other thread, it was sold out in all 1800 AT&T stores and 24 of the 164 Apple stores by the end of Saturday (some, IIRC, sold out Friday night) and was sold out everywhere by Thursday:

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/06/30/atandt-sold-out-of-iphones/
http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/05/iphone-sells-out-of-apple-stores-almost/

Given that 140 Apple stores where still selling phones Sunday to Thursday and the 146,000 number is activations not sales, it seems only only reasonable to conclude that the initial shipment to stores was a fair bit more than 150,000. There will have been web sales too of course and none of those would appear in these early activation numbers (I don't think they shipped until the second week of July).

We need more info.
Agreed.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
Exactly how would you change the WM or PalmOs UI without impacting functionality?

Surur

for WM:
Get rid of the start menu, get rid of the toolbars on top and bottom of sreen, make it easy to switch fonts (like the blackberry).

for Palm OS:
who cares, hasn't been updated in years.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
for WM:
Get rid of the start menu, get rid of the toolbars on top and bottom of sreen, make it easy to switch fonts (like the blackberry).

But where would you put your status information if you take away the top toolbar, and softkeys at the bottom are rather traditional in mobile phones.

The start menu is just a task switcher, with a MRU used list. I really dont get the issues people have with it. Its greatest sin is probably that its stylus-centric, but using shortcuts it still works rather well with a keyboard.

Surur

Freak4Dell

Dec 17, 2006
Visit site
Why would you get rid of the start menu? How would you get to your programs, then? Don't tell me that everyone would have to use one of those programs where it places a bunch of icons on your Today screen, because not everyone likes those, me included.

The top toolbar holds the information for your phone. Without it, there's no way to tell how much battery you have left, what your signal level is, or what the time is. Again, don't tell me about one of those programs that puts these things on your Today screen.

The softkey stuff on the bottom is also essential, not so much for the Today screen, but for other programs. 3rd party programs are all different, and the softkey functions a different way for every one of them. I know there's been many times when I think I'm clicking continue and instead end up clicking cancel or back or something.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Why would you get rid of the start menu? How would you get to your programs, then? Don't tell me that everyone would have to use one of those programs where it places a bunch of icons on your Today screen, because not everyone likes those, me included.
I'd guess you'd have a home screen and a dedicated hard button to get to it, the way Palm OS, S60 and iPhone do it. That's pretty top of my WM UI wish list.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I'd guess you'd have a home screen and a dedicated hard button to get to it, the way Palm OS, S60 and iPhone do it. That's pretty top of my WM UI wish list.

You can get to at least 12 apps from the start menu. I dont see the point in replacing it with a button that takes you to the Programs folder. I think it saves you time on average.

You put your 7 favourite apps on the start menu, and the 5 Most Recently Used contains the other ones. This way you avoid scrolling if you use the Zip utility a lot.

Surur

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site

yes, i think it's much easier to have them on a home screen as well. i don't care for the "push start (hopefully with your finger), select program (hopefully the one you need is on the list). that is one thing i will give Palm, it's home screen, but that's about it!