It’s a great day to be a Wolverine

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
First of all, none of this was the fault of Alabama or Texas.
But...
Oh gee, Florida State....a team that never EVER got the benefit of the doubt except......

1989 - finishes #3 in the AP poll with two losses ahead of SEC co-champion with one l0ss (Tennessee) and Big 8 champion with one loss (Colorado). And one of their losses - they like to say they lost to Brett Favre, but the part they never mention is that USM went 4-6 in their other ten games.
(FSU benefit: ranked ahead of teams with fewer losses)

1990 - ranked #4 with two losses....well ahead of 10-1 Houston and 10-1-1 Louisville
(FSU benefit: ranked ahead of teams with better records)

1991 - 11-2 Florida State ends the year at #4, three spots ahead of 10-2 SEC champion Florida...who beat FSU, 14-9
(FSU benefit: ranked ahead of team who beat them head-to-head and had same # of losses)

1992 - 11-1 FSU finishes year at #2 ahead of 11-1 Miami (#3)...who beat FSU head-to-head
(FSU benefit: ranked ahead of team who beat them head-to-head)

1993 - 12-1 FSU wins national championship ahead of 11-1 Notre Dame, who beat FSU head-to-head; worse, they're ranked ahead of 11-0 Auburn and deprive 11-0 West Virginia of a national championship shot with Nebraska. WVA beat the team that beat the team (UCF logic), was unbeaten, and was Big East conference champion. (We'll spot them Auburn because probation)
(FSU benefit: ranked ahead of team that beat them head-to-head AND unbeaten conf champion.)

1996 - FSU (11-1) ends the year at #3 despite playing three fewer games than 14-1 WAC champion BYU. For reasons never made clear, Arizona State beat #1 Nebraska yet remained below the top spot, but FSU moved to the top spot upon beating #1 Florida.
(FSU benefit: higher ranking despite same number of losses and 3 fewer games)

1998 - despite a far worse loss (17 points) to 7-5 NC State than Ohio State's 4-point loss to 6-6 Sparty, the BCS selects FSU over Ohio State AND UNBEATEN TULANE for the national title game.
(FSU benefit: chosen ahead of undefeated conf champion and despite worse loss)

2000 - despite a head-to-head loss to one-loss Miami, FSU is chosen again for the BCS title game.
(FSU benefit: chosen despite a head-to-head loss)

2003 - despite an 8-point head-to-head loss to Miami at home, the final BCS poll has FSU two spots ahead of the Canes, who have the same record. Just to show the BCS is wrong in the same year they have Oklahoma at #1 after a butt kicking...FSU loses to Miami in the bowl game, too. They're also ranked ahead of two one-loss teams, Miami (of Ohio) and Boise State.
(FSU benefit: ranked higher despite same record and head-to-head loss)

2015 - the final CFP ranks 10-2 Florida State NINE spots ahead of 12-1 Houston. Just for good measure, Houston rolls them in the bowl game.
(FSU benefit: ranked higher despite another team having better record)

2016 - the final CFP ranks 9-3 Florida State at 11, two spots ahead of #13 Louisville, who is also 9-3. This is understandable since Louisville scraped by FSU by the narrow margin of 63-20 head-to-head. SMH
(FSU benefit: ranked higher despite same record and head-to-head shellacking)

Florida State has - MANY TIMES since 1989:
a) been ranked ahead of teams with better records
b) been ranked ahead of teams who beat them head-to-head (one by a mere 43 points)
c) been selected to play in a national title game despite both a and b.

They've been overrated by the AP.
They've been overrated by the BCS.
They've been overrated by the CFP (seriously - how in the heck did 2016 happen?)

Florida State never once complained about getting the benefit of the doubt.
So......I'm not sure what their complaint has been.

All of the above are true indeed, but they also suffer from the same dilemma — being chosen or their lack of being chosen is due to financial gains and TV ratings in lieu of doing what’s right by the athletes. That’s my take at least.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
With that being said, I am a fan of Alabama and Texas, however, the playoffs should have consisted of the following four teams - in my opinion.

Georgia
FSU
Michigan
Washington

You don’t drop a back-to-back defending national champion whose only loss of the season was by 3 points in the conference championship game from being among the 4 teams to play in the playoffs. That’s just wrong.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Need I say anymore, to all the critics and skeptics who bashed us all year. Hail to the Victors!! We are the National Champions!!!

Michigan is indeed deserving of its national championship. They’ve played better and with more dominance than any other team this season with the exception of perhaps Georgia who was robbed of its chance to defend its back to back national championship.

Reactions: bakron1

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77