Is upgrading to the 8 Plus useless?

Soreloser

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
While I might consider upgrading just for the better cpu and camera, I owe too much on my 7+ to do it. If you've got the money to spare...

bluej3

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
I used to have a 4 and a 4s but I can’t remember what the glass was like if it was more grippy and better with scratches than the aluminum. I hope it’s not as slick as the aluminum.

The glass is definitely gonna be better in so many ways. Espl the 2017 glass versions are gonna be more durable than the previous ones.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I have used it in the past, and I think the best uses are overnight charging, and in vehicle charging. I had a mount in my car with a wireless charger built in. It was nice to just be able to set it in there and it kept the charge while using nav, or streaming music, etc. If you use CarPlay though you still have to plug in so that doesn't even matter now. I guess it is nice that Apple phones will be able to use the built in chargers in many new vehicles.

michial

Aug 7, 2009
Visit site
Yep. I’m not interested in wireless charging but I preordered the 8 plus because I want the A11 and other features, including the bezels and home button. But I’ll stick with wires for charging until speeds increase. But many times I like to hold and use my phone while charging. Difficult to do that on a charging pad.

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I was planning on giving my daughter my 7+. So I needed to upgrade to something. I like the move to gestures but the X is unattractive with the notch in my opinion and also just way overpriced for me on principal. The 8+ is t that much of an upgrade over the 7+. So I just bought a red 7 + last night. I'll wait to see what Apple releases next year. I would like a gesture phone but they need to work on the appearance of the device and bring the price back down to earth.

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
I am going to skip the X and either go with the 8+ or just keep my 7+ .. I am only a few months into my 7+ and love it and might just stand put for the next year... Who Knows?? I say that every year and end up in line getting the newest one

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I’m on Apple’s iphone upgrade program and can upgrade my 7 Plus. I’m not interested in the X. I m a weirdo who actually likes the current form factor with the home button and bezels. So I want to update to the 8 Plus. I have a matte black and thought the silver 8 plus looks nice for a change. There’s very little out of pocket, maybe tax on the unit is all on the upgrade program. I get one upgrade a year so it’s fun to try a new phone out every year.

I’ve heard a lot of iphone tech people say don’t waste your time on the 8 or 8 plus if you have a 7. I disagree. It has a better camera, processor and for me a storage upgrade from 32 to 64 gb so it seems like a good deal at only $30 more at $799 vs the $769 iPhone 7 Plus. Maybe next year the X will entice me more.

I’m also tempted instead to get a 128gb red 7 plus as my local store has them still. I love the looks of it but the 8 has the newer tech I’d love to try out.

Are any of you planning on upgrading to the 8 or 8 plus?

If you like the current form factor then continue buying it. To be honest, I’m still enjoying my iPhone 7 Plus, but I wanted a non-Plus size this time around and so I ordered an iPhone 8. Do I like the new edge to edge display of the iPhone X? Yes, I do. Am I contemplating on getting it even though I just bought an iPhone 8? Yep. Will I go ahead an actually buy the iPhone X? I’ll decide after I’ve had time with my iPhone 8.

Last edited:

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I have a 7 Plus... 8 Plus to me not worth it. Interested in the X, but will wait until next one so the bugs can get flushed out. 7 Plus has been great over the past year.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I think the X will eventually wear off . Don't hate me. I have had all Touch screen notes and eventually they start lagging and freezing up. Hopefully you X users won't have that problem definitely put screen protector on and case it as well.
I like the bezel and the screen on my 7+. I have screen protector and it's cased. I don't have issues with keyboard and lagging. TOUCH ID. That's a definite deal breaker for me. Got to have it
Everyone has different needs.

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
Th X to me looks more like a Galaxy than an IPhone. And every Galaxy that I have owned (which is most of them) the Lag set in after a few months. I am not saying that this will happen, but something about the X makes me love my 7+ even more.

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
The glass is definitely gonna be better in so many ways. Espl the 2017 glass versions are gonna be more durable than the previous ones.

That's a bold statement considering durability tests haven't been performed and in general the current body holds up fairly well in my experiences.

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I chose a 7+ in May cause I knew I wasn't ready for bezeless display and a design overhaul I'm still not sure about. I am sure the X will be amazing but I think it's worth waiting for version 2 next year

bluej3

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
That's a bold statement considering durability tests haven't been performed and in general the current body holds up fairly well in my experiences.

I told abt the new ones based on the durability level of the current and old ones. It was my personal opinion.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods