Is upgrading to the 8 Plus useless?

michial

Aug 7, 2009
Visit site
I’m on Apple’s iphone upgrade program and can upgrade my 7 Plus. I’m not interested in the X. I m a weirdo who actually likes the current form factor with the home button and bezels. So I want to update to the 8 Plus. I have a matte black and thought the silver 8 plus looks nice for a change. There’s very little out of pocket, maybe tax on the unit is all on the upgrade program. I get one upgrade a year so it’s fun to try a new phone out every year.

I’ve heard a lot of iphone tech people say don’t waste your time on the 8 or 8 plus if you have a 7. I disagree. It has a better camera, processor and for me a storage upgrade from 32 to 64 gb so it seems like a good deal at only $30 more at $799 vs the $769 iPhone 7 Plus. Maybe next year the X will entice me more.

I’m also tempted instead to get a 128gb red 7 plus as my local store has them still. I love the looks of it but the 8 has the newer tech I’d love to try out.

Are any of you planning on upgrading to the 8 or 8 plus?

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I am loving my 7+. If I were to upgrade I wouldn't mind the 8+ but I would get the 256 gig. I am almost tempted but I need to be smart right now. I need to start holiday shopping and looking at cars. I want the series 3 watch because I want it cellular. I need to sell my series 2 to help with it
My 7+ is awesome and it's getting ios11. I also got a great deal on mine. I was given 529 trade in on my Samsung. My iPhone monthly pymt is very reasonable

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I will be upgrading to the X from my 7 Plus. I don’t think it’s useless, the new features on the 8 are nice. It’s worth it if you have the $$$.

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
I will be getting up at 3am to pre-order the 8+ for my wife (I’m on the east coast, it’s still 12am Cupertino time, right?). She is usin a 6+. I have the 7+ and will be upgrading to the X, however If the X were not an option....I would be getting the 8+.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I will be getting up at 3am to pre-order the 8+ for my wife (I’m on the east coast, it’s still 12am Cupertino time, right?). She is usin a 6+. I have the 7+ and will be upgrading to the X, however If the X were not an option....I would be getting the 8+.

That’s very nice of you to preorder for your wife.
I wish you the best of luck!

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
No... I don't if that's what YOU want to do. I went from the 6 Plus to the 6s Plus to the 7 Plus and to be honest the upgrade was small and insignificant, but that's what I wanted to do. Now bring on the X

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I’ve heard a lot of iphone tech people say don’t waste your time on the 8 or 8 plus if you have a 7. I disagree. It has a better camera, processor and for me a storage upgrade from 32 to 64 gb so it seems like a good deal at only $30 more at $799 vs the $769 iPhone 7 Plus. Maybe next year the X will entice me more.
Go for it. It looks like there is enough of an upgrade difference to make it worthwhile to you, especially the storage capacity bump.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
No... I don't if that's what YOU want to do. I went from the 6 Plus to the 6s Plus to the 7 Plus and to be honest the upgrade was small and insignificant, but that's what I wanted to do. Now bring on the X

I went the same way on the Plus iPhones. Thinking about skipping this year. The X is not for me and I'm not really thinking about getting the 8 plus.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I went the same way on the Plus iPhones. Thinking about skipping this year. The X is not for me and I'm not really thinking about getting the 8 plus.

When the 6 Plus was released my first response was "why so much bezel" and year after year I watch Samsung decrease the bezels on their devices. Even though I got used to the very large bezels on the 6/6s/7 Pluses, I still had a yearning for a bezeless iPhone. Now that it has finally arrived, I'm not going to let it pass without getting one. Not downing the iPhone 8, it's a very nice iPhone (I have one almost like it...LOL), but it's time to come into the 21st Century in my honest opinion. The iPhone X 256gb in Space Gray Stainless Steel has my name written all over it.

rsgoldens

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
I think I'm going to go ahead and do it. I'm on the upgrade program but I think I'm going to buy out and sell my 7 pluses and make a few bucks. My main reason is that I am on 128GB and will get 256GB for about $2.50 per month. One of my phones only has 3GB free space.

bluej3

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
I’m on Apple’s iphone upgrade program and can upgrade my 7 Plus. I’m not interested in the X. I m a weirdo who actually likes the current form factor with the home button and bezels. So I want to update to the 8 Plus. I have a matte black and thought the silver 8 plus looks nice for a change. There’s very little out of pocket, maybe tax on the unit is all on the upgrade program. I get one upgrade a year so it’s fun to try a new phone out every year.

I’m also tempted instead to get a 128gb red 7 plus as my local store has them still. I love the looks of it but the 8 has the newer tech I’d love to try out.

Are any of you planning on upgrading to the 8 or 8 plus?

I love the form factor with home button and bezels too. One of the reasons I adore the iphone is the home button. I will definitely vouch for iphone 8 + . It has the stunning glass back which IMO is superb.

michial

Aug 7, 2009
Visit site
I used to have a 4 and a 4s but I can’t remember what the glass was like if it was more grippy and better with scratches than the aluminum. I hope it’s not as slick as the aluminum.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I used to have a 4 and a 4s but I can’t remember what the glass was like if it was more grippy and better with scratches than the aluminum. I hope it’s not as slick as the aluminum.

The glass is definitely grippier than the aluminum finish on more recent models.

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't call it a useless upgrade but the updates aren't enough for me to drop my 7+. I think only that can be answered by the phone user.

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Just preordered the 8+ for my wife, easiest iPhone order I’ve ever made. That means when I order the iphone X for me it’s gonna be the cluster it always is.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice