Is there gonna be a brand new iPhone in 2010?

ptb6744#IM

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
The main hardware change I want to see implemented in the new iPhone is a front-facing camera. What I want even more than though is an entire OS overhaul. IMO, the iPhone OS is starting to look and feel extremely dated when compared to the other phones coming out. I'm hoping they move away from the pages filled with apps and give us a user friendly desktop-like experience on the new phone. Without some real changes, WebOS and Android will easily trump the iPhone OS next year.

You really think Android and WebOS make the iPhone OS dated? I actually think quite the opposite. After using all the aforementioned phones OS, I think they are all playing catch up to the iPhone's OS.

PikkonX

Jun 6, 2009
Visit site
Not yet they don't, but that's why I said next year they will if Apple doesn't make some changes. I found WebOS to be nothing but a pleasure to use and Android is quite decent as well. They are also taking steps to advance the game by adding Flash. Something we may never see on the iPhone. I'm not saying the current OS is broken in any way, it's just starting to feel like it's past its prime. Noah from Phonedog pretty much nails what I'm trying to say in his latest Dogfight YouTube - iPhone 3GS vs HTC Hero - Dogfight, Pt 3

Last edited:

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
The main hardware change I want to see implemented in the new iPhone is a front-facing camera. What I want even more than though is an entire OS overhaul. IMO, the iPhone OS is starting to look and feel extremely dated when compared to the other phones coming out. I'm hoping they move away from the pages filled with apps and give us a user friendly desktop-like experience on the new phone. Without some real changes, WebOS and Android will easily trump the iPhone OS next year.
Be careful what you ask for, you might get it.

The OS is OS X, hardly dated. Perhaps you are talking about the UI. I admit that mine is starting to look a little cluttered and sorting of the icons is not easy. I am not sure what you mean by "desktop-like" but if you mean "WM-like," saints preserve us. I like the use of purpose-built apps (65000 and counting) that hide the operating system from me.

Perhaps you mean changes to the API. I do not follow the developers forums and am not aware of the issues here. In any case, if I cannot see them, I do not much care about them.

Perhaps you are talking about multi-tasking. It seems to me that this is much more of a battery issue than an OS issue. The OS clearly has multi-tasking capability already. The issue is that apps in the background suck the life out of the battery. We have seen this with the so-called "push" applications. Battery technology is a major constraint and seems to advance more slowly than the demands put upon it by screens, radios, and processors.

While I appreciate the prod, any assertion that WebOS or Android will "trump" the iPhone OS is, at best, speculative. It is certainly a very high hurdle.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
You really think Android and WebOS make the iPhone OS dated? I actually think quite the opposite. After using all the aforementioned phones OS, I think they are all playing catch up to the iPhone's OS.

They are clearly losing the application battle. The app store has added 15000 applications since the Pre was announced while they are still in the high tens total. While they are moving ahead, they are doing it so slowly that they are falling ever farther behind.

PikkonX

Jun 6, 2009
Visit site
Definitely not asking for anything close to WM. I mean optimizations to the core OS and certainly some brand new UI options (nothing forced). I don't even think the hurdle is that high, because there's not too much that the iPhone OS itself does that can't be accomplished on the others. Of course these are just my opinions, not things that Apple absolutely has to do to please the already happy and growing iPhone crowd. It's just that after experiencing the other options over the past few weeks, I can more easily see myself taking the iPod Touch & WebOS/Android device route in the future, rather than just an iPhone. That way I get the user experience I'm looking for, as well as the 65,000+ apps. I'll just need to sew an additional pocket onto my pants :p.

Last edited:

PikkonX

Jun 6, 2009
Visit site
What more is there really to be said when referring to optimization? I'm not talking about massive kernel work, just improvements to the things controlled by Apple. There is always room for coding improvement. For example, the soft keyboard is not always as responsive as it should be, even on an unjailbroken phone using the built-in applications. Often, I'll find that I type a few words and then I have to wait a couple seconds for the keyboard to catch up with my input. Then there are also the Safari, Mail, and iPod crashes I've experienced. Just little things like that are what I'm referring to.

Last edited:

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I think the real question is... will they have multiple models of the iphone in 2010 compared to one model with different colors and GB's.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I think Apple is gonna make us **** ourselves next June. And even though I want it SOOOOOO BADLY... I don't think they are going to give me an HD video-recording, front-facing camera next year.. If they don't come out with something more impressive I can see myself switching to another phone.. That LG BL40 is nice.. I'd just use my iPhone for apps and use the other as a phone :p

JimRobJones

Aug 14, 2009
Visit site
2010 Iphone HD

HD OLED Screen (that's larger than current screen) (800x480 minimum) 1.66 ratio

Background apps

HD Video recording 720p minimum

Live streaming Video

App sandbox (so app's can work with other apps)

Flash Support

64 gig RAM

5mp camera minimum

Multicore processor

802.11n

Front camera for iChat

Slingbox over 3g

Better battery life 12-16 hours multi-use

Unibody like the Macbooks

Last edited:

misstaken

Aug 14, 2009
Visit site
I think they need to do more with the OS (i.e. allow background/multiple apps to run at once) and increase its speed before they start messing with the design.

Last edited by a moderator:

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
What more is there really to be said when referring to optimization? I'm not talking about massive kernel work, just improvements to the things controlled by Apple. There is always room for coding improvement. For example, the soft keyboard is not always as responsive as it should be, even on an unjailbroken phone using the built-in applications. Often, I'll find that I type a few words and then I have to wait a couple seconds for the keyboard to catch up with my input. Then there are also the Safari, Mail, and iPod crashes I've experienced. Just little things like that are what I'm referring to.
Seems to me that those kinds of fixes might result in a new "release" or "version" but would hardly rise to the level of a "new" OS. I expect many of those kinds of fixes in 3.1.

Good design involves many hard choices. Having been a Palm customer for ten years and an Apple customer for three, I would much rather be in Apple's hands.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
HD OLED Screen (that's larger than current screen) (800x480 minimum) 1.66 ratio

Background apps

HD Video recording 720p minimum

Live streaming Video

App sandbox (so app's can work with other apps)

Flash Support

64 gig RAM

5mp camera minimum

Multicore processor

802.11n

Front camera for iChat

Slingbox over 3g

Better battery life 12-16 hours multi-use

Unibody like the Macbooks

If you were my customer, the first thing that I would to with this list is to ask you to put it in rank order. Many of the things that are on this list are are achieved at the expense of other things on the list, e.g., apps in the background vs. better battery life. Others are expensive to add but might be rarely used. Good design is really hard. Well ordered requirements help a lot.

Last edited:

Farmdreads

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
i dont think the desing will change much cinse is flawless compared to other phones maybe they`ll add a front facing camera for video conference calls i think this will be a popular feature and maybe a bigger screen not that big like 4" maybe

Punctuation, please.

nolongercurvin

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
People. None of these wish lists matter. APPLE DOES NOT CARE!!!!! They put out a "king of all phones" and it cannot send a MMS message. Cannot bluetooth a pic to another phone. Sad camera. No flash. JUST added video. They were banking on the app store to distract people from what the phone did not do, and it worked. They made an iPod that makes phone calls and sold a bazillion of them. There was a difference between iPhone and 3G. But between 3G and and 3GS.....not so much. Now before everyone brings up speed, get over it. I put my 3G and my wifes 3GS on the table, and you can not tell which one is which. She can shoot a video and talk to her phone. WOW. That makes it "new"?? I went from a Curve to the 3G, then back to the Curve after about 4 months. Couldn't get past all the things it couldn't do. Bought a Bold when they came out, and was blown away. Now that the app store has been around awhile, there are a few apps to "patch the holes" in the phone, and went back to it due to the Bold being a little on the big / heavy side. If Jobs cares, STOP WITH THE TINY!! Make it a little thicker, and put in a larger battery. Screen size isn't bad. I wish you could have your phone "go to sleep" with the page you were on, and a press of the home button "waking" it up. All the swiping gets old, and you have to have it time out after 1 minute to save the battery. Copy a picture into a album on the phone needs to be done. On my Bold, I could take a pic, name it, create a folder, name IT, and save the pic all without needing a computer. THAT is nice. THAT is a SMART PHONE!! This is SUPPOSED to be a computer in your pocket, yet it needs a computer to survive. Bluetooth syncing is a must. It should sync each time I get in range of my laptop. But then, the battery would only last about 10 minutes. All the apps that need your location are cool....but you have to go back and turn that off to save the battery. Did NOT have to do that with the Bold. And lastly, how about some colors?? It is only plastic for Christ's sake!! You can have an iPod in more colors that you need, and we get black and white. REAL creative.....

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I just have to throw this in here one more time... front-facing camera that records HD video (while of course the back camera would do the same)..
More RAM for more intense video editing (complex video editors are coming to the app store after 3.1, people!)..
Unibody design..
As someone who loves YouTube, the ability to record an HD video especially from a front-camera for blogging would be much-appreciated. I could put the iPhone in it's dock and use it like it were a MacBook.. :D

rgar3388

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
Different colors! Although I might not ever stray away from black. Maybe a darker better black that doesn't look blue in the sun.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner