Is there any useful insight in regard to how secure iOS 9.2 Is?

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
due to a UK bill that is in the pipeline that seems to be asking Apple to provide a back door into ios, and also to make Apple responsible for retrieving /decoding any requested data. I have begun to wonder, just how secure is ios9.2 anyway ? I know that you in the US have been/are dealing with a similar issue. Have any useful insights been acquired ?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Security.

Not that I'm aware of, and as far as I'm concerned, iOS 9.2 is secure in and of itself. Having said that, certain online activities and habits can weaken that security.

Qdiddy09

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
From my understanding is that everything on your phone hard drive is encrypted and cannot be accessed without your PIN, or now 2 form authentication. Not even Apple by their testament can access that data, unless you have it saved in the cloud. This is what both the U.S and U.K gov'ts are fighting because they can't crack into your phone and retrieve whatever data they claim to be relevant to an investigation unlike other phones/computers other companies offer.

Also if I remember correctly I've never heard of an iOS device getting a virus, and I think Apple pulled and no longer allows anti virus programs in the App Store.

Now if your surfing "suspect" sites on safari or other browser your activity can be monitored without the tools that would block such monitoring from happening, however I am still almost 100% certain you cannot get a virus that way either. iOS is very sandboxed

Someone please correct me if any of my info is not accurate as I don't want to give any false or outdated info

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
From my understanding is that everything on your phone hard drive is encrypted and cannot be accessed without your PIN, or now 2 form authentication. Not even Apple by their testament can access that data, unless you have it saved in the cloud. This is what both the U.S and U.K gov'ts are fighting because they can't crack into your phone and retrieve whatever data they claim to be relevant to an investigation unlike other phones/computers other companies offer.

Also if I remember correctly I've never heard of an iOS device getting a virus, and I think Apple pulled and no longer allows anti virus programs in the App Store.

Now if your surfing "suspect" sites on safari or other browser your activity can be monitored without the tools that would block such monitoring from happening, however I am still almost 100% certain you cannot get a virus that way either. iOS is very sandboxed

Someone please correct me if any of my info is not accurate as I don't want to give any false or outdated info

The information you stated is pretty accurate, but I'm not that confident in regard to the iOS devices not getting viruses. There are some very slick people out there.

Qdiddy09

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
The information you stated is pretty accurate, but I'm not that confident in regard to the iOS devices not getting viruses. There are some very slick people out there.

I agree, and nothing is perfect, though iOS is way better at security then its rivals IMO. I will say that if Apple is forced by law to allow "back door" access to gov'ts then they will see much more security breaches without a doubt as nothing can be highly secured while having loopholes at the same time

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
thanks for your views everybody. I was more interested in this from a secure from the `State'. (whichever it may be) point of view.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods