is the top and bottom of the back iPhone 5 made of sapphire crystal?

gameson

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
If I recall, Apple say that the camera lens is made of sapphire crystal, but I am not too sure if the top and the bottom of the back is made of the sapphire glass. But it sure feel like a glass to me.

Thanks.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
It’s glass... probably Gorilla Glass from Corning... doubtful it’s the same sapphire material used in the camera lens.

John T

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
The external cover is Sapphire Crystal. Not the lens. The remainder of the top and bottom are of the same type of glass as the front.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Here's a breakdown. The camera lens is standard glass. The lens cover, the part that's on the outside of the phone, is sapphire crystal to prevent scratching. The upper and lower inserts on the rear of the phone are standard Apple glass, which seems to be Corning's Gorilla Glass 2.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
i see, thx for the answer

just for fun, i look at the product list of gorilla glass.

CORNING? GORILLA? GLASS | FULL PRODUCTS LIST

i dont see apple name in it, even though there is a disclaimer that not all products are listed due to NDA, but isn't Apple brag their glass made of GG? is it a public knowledge?

Apple hasn't confirmed that it is Gorilla Glass but independent testing has. Apple doesn't publicly release partner or supplier names. That's just their policy b

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
i see, thx for the answer

just for fun, i look at the product list of gorilla glass.

CORNING? GORILLA? GLASS | FULL PRODUCTS LIST

i dont see apple name in it, even though there is a disclaimer that not all products are listed due to NDA, but isn't Apple brag their glass made of GG? is it a public knowledge?
That's because apple doesn't want to have to pay the licensing fees for saying they use gg.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Rubbish? It's actually a pretty standard business practice on a product that doesn't need such details to sell well...automotive companies do this all the time, outsourcing parts like special windshields and hundreds of other things but paying to simply include it without having to announce to the world who makes it. The iPhone doesn't need to scream to the heavens it uses gorilla glass in order to attract consumers (if that is even the screen manufacturer in the first place).

patricksmangan

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
I think i want the whole screen on the 5s or else iPhone 6 to be sapphire. electronics and economies of scale will be affordable enough by then to keep the phone starting at $199 on contract, right?

RT @jdolcourt: One of the coolest things I've seen here at #MWC: a smartphone screen made of sapphire. Yes, sapphire. https://t.co/IGv4vDAsWd @CNET

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I have to agree with you on that. Apple simply doesn't tout who their suppliers are because they don't want to a) advertise for them, b) they don't need to since people know its got Gorilla Glass and c) it's got fairy dust and angels kisses on it too.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox