Is the iPhone 5 camera slanted?

2oh1

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Is this a glitch with my iPhone, or with everyone's iPhone 5? If I set my phone on its side and take a photo, the image is tilted slightly to the right. But if I lift the far left edge of the iPhone slightly off my desk, keeping the right edge on the desk, I can get the image on my screen level.

Image #1: iPhone 5, flat on my desk, lined up with the keyboard in the background. The keyboard should be level. Clearly, it is not.

IMG_3083.jpg

Image #2, below: I'm holding the left corner of my iPhone 5 up with the right corner still resting on my desk:

IMG_3084.jpg

Is this unique to my iPhone 5, or are we all experiencing it? I'm not saying this is a huge deal, but I'm surprised I can't rest my iPhone on a flat surface and get a level shot. Something is wrong.

EDIT: More images added below.

Last edited:

2oh1

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
The desktop is VERY level.
The iPhone is set flat on its side with the volume buttons UP. I mean, really now. Only an idiot wouldn't notice the buttons causing a gap between the surface of the desk and the phone. ;) The phone is absolutely flat, on a flat surface.

2oh1

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Here are two photos using another camera to show my iPhone in use. I measured to make sure the iPhone was parallel with the keyboard which I've stood up to use as a prop.

1st shot: iPhone 5 flat. Note the tilted keyboard on screen.
DSC01269.jpg

2nd shot: iPhone with a coin under the left corner to prop it up at an angle. Note the flat keyboard on screen.
DSC01270.jpg

Again, just to be clear: the desk is absolutely level. The iPhone is parallel with the keyboard. The shots here hopefully clearly show that iPhone is flat in one and tilted in the other (being propped up on one end by a nickel).

Something is very odd.

Last edited:

ccostel

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Is the phone perfectly parallel with the keyboard? That would also cause the angled look.

---------- Post Merged at 08:50 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:50 AM ----------

Is the phone perfectly parallel with the keyboard? That would also cause the angled look.

2oh1

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I thought I made it clear above that, yes, the keyboard is perfectly parallel with the iPhone. Obviously, it the keyboard were at an angle, that would cause it to be at an angle in the photo. This isn't about the keyboard. I just used the keyboard as an example subject. Open the camera app. Rest your iPhone on its side (not the volume keys side, obviously. It needs to be flat). Is what you see on screen level, or is it at an angle? Slide a nickel under the left hand side. Does what you see on screen suddenly become level? That's what's happening on mine.

2oh1

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Mine is level. Stop worrying and just take it in for warranty. :)

I'm not really worried. My thought was: if every iPhone 5 has this issue, I'd just live with it. If it's only mine, I'd take it to Apple to swap (especially since my iPhone 5 also came with one of those machine scratches). I'm just trying to make sure it's an issue unique to mine rather than every iPhone 5. Aside from this camera oddity, I'm LOVING the 5. For me, this was an upgrade worth waiting for.

Last edited:

gixxer07600

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Tried it out with mine. Mines level.

---------- Post Merged at 11:51 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:51 PM ----------

Tried it out with mine. Mines level.

tomcham33

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi, all the iPhone 5 camera are tilted the same way. The design intension is to make the pictures taken as if the camera is located in the centre of the iPhone. I have tried 5 iPhone 5 already and all of them are the same with tilted camera (may be the software). However the iPod Touch 5G's camera is straight, I have tested 3 of them and they are absolutely perpendicular to the body.

Daniel Piraino

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Your iPhone is definitely not right .. I have so far been through TWO 16GB iPhone 5's (Sprint) and both are not level.

The first one was taken back but only because of the protection program and I'm about to take this one back , although I am fairly certain this will be a drama filled event.

Apple support is aware of the problem but did not acknowledge anything .

I purchased the iPhone 5 as a standalone "real time" camera in addition to my HTC Evo 4G LTE which I have a new found appreciation for due to the fact that everything on the Evo performs flawlessly.
Let me know how you make out ?

:mad:

cpc12

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
3 questions ..

1 is the desk level

2 is the camera parallel to the keyboard

3 maybe the volume buttons are making the phone sit crooked

Why am I the first to think of these things.....

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox