Is the iPhone 12Pro max worth it from the 11 Pro Max??

TechBob

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
I also feel the pull of a new device but my 11 Pro Max green 256GB is such a sweet device that as of now I’m planning on keeping it till the iPhone 13 Super Pro Max with a built in coffee maker comes out

Wait! I want that! When is the preorder on that model? If Apple came out with that, they would OWN the market. Samsung would be a distant memory. At least until you find the weight is 5 lbs and requires a special version of Magsafe to charge that takes a 120V plug in. Ah, but one could hope :)

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
It's very nice and like many model changes - incremental upgrades. Some years more than others. Not having 5G service might be an issue. If you really value the extra zoom and other new camera capabilities you might have a yes on your hands.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I see all kinds of inventory popping up all day when I check the Apple store app. So don’t keep checking the Apple store app if you don’t want to buy a new 12 Pro Max.

LOL ...I won't. It seems like my iPhone 11 Pro Max has become smoother and wicked faster....not sure what happened, but no need to upgrade.

Chuck_IV

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
I have the 12 Pro Max and the only thing I like about it is the 5G. The 11 Pro Max is a nicer to hold device. I am one that does not like the shape of the 12 series. The screen on the 12 Pro Max is a little nicer, but I would switch back to the 11 Pro Max in a second if it had 5G. I am trying different cases to compensate, but so far, no success. One possibility will be here tomorrow, so I have hope. But unless 5G is important to you (it is to me as the 4G in my neighborhood is oversold) then stay with the 11 PM.

I thought I wouldn’t like the new design because of the feel. But with a case on it(I use a silicone case), it’s not that much different then the 11 pro Max.

The two things that are a really nice upgrade are 5g(obviously, if it’s available to you) and IMO HDR/Dolby Vision video.

I record a lot of video and having just upgraded my TV to something that can do DV, it’s nice to be able to record in DV.

About the only thing I’m disappointed in(not Apples fault) is Filmic Pro’s support for DV is only up to 30fps and not 60fps like Apple’s camera app and even Pro Camera’s video. But that’s for another thread.

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
It comes down to;
-Can you afford it?
-do you prefer a bigger screen
-do you need the extra battery life

If you don’t mind the size and weight then you go for the max. I don’t think the camera upgrade is worth it.

I had the 11 pro max and was tired of carrying it around so I went with the pro this year. Battery life has been surprisingly good.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I don’t think there’s a lot more that the 12 Max offers to make it worth the upgrade over the 11 Pro Max. Its not that the 12 Pro Max is missing anything but because the 11 Pro Max is just that good. I have a blue Pro Max and a gold Pro Max and I love them but there’s no question in my mind that they’re not that much better than my midnight green 11 Pro Max was. I’ve heard talk about the 120hz screen. I had that on my Note 20 Ultra and I don’t get the hype but perhaps my 51 year-old eyes are just that. I would never want to trade that for battery life and I think Apple did the right thing this year. However, 120hz would have sealed the deal for some that appreciate that.

If you just want to have the latest then the 12 Pro Max is that but don’t expect it to be leaps and bounds beyond the 11 PM.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
It comes down to;
-Can you afford it?
-do you prefer a bigger screen
-do you need the extra battery life

If you don’t mind the size and weight then you go for the max. I don’t think the camera upgrade is worth it.

I had the 11 pro max and was tired of carrying it around so I went with the pro this year. Battery life has been surprisingly good.

I don’t think there’s a lot more that the 12 Max offers to make it worth the upgrade over the 11 Pro Max. Its not that the 12 Pro Max is missing anything but because the 11 Pro Max is just that good. I have a blue Pro Max and a gold Pro Max and I love them but there’s no question in my mind that they’re not that much better than my midnight green 11 Pro Max was. I’ve heard talk about the 120hz screen. I had that on my Note 20 Ultra and I don’t get the hype but perhaps my 51 year-old eyes are just that. I would never want to trade that for battery life and I think Apple did the right thing this year. However, 120hz would have sealed the deal for some that appreciate that.

If you just want to have the latest then the 12 Pro Max is that but don’t expect it to be leaps and bounds beyond the 11 PM.

I believe both those miss the camera that can mean a lot. For many photos you won't see it but I've stood with 11 series and 12 owner to see the Max not go into that dark mode, and the 12 PM can show detail in dark and dar to light extremes. None have the extra zoom.

Earlier model extra zoom has always been nice but I did a hike last weekend where that 2 vs 2.5 stood out.

I realize it could all be meaningless for someone not into photography, and I don't fool myself thinking these advancements compete with my SLR system.

:)

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I believe both those miss the camera that can mean a lot. For many photos you won't see it but I've stood with 11 series and 12 owner to see the Max not go into that dark mode, and the 12 PM can show detail in dark and dar to light extremes. None have the extra zoom.

Earlier model extra zoom has always been nice but I did a hike last weekend where that 2 vs 2.5 stood out.

I realize it could all be meaningless for someone not into photography, and I don't fool myself thinking these advancements compete with my SLR system.

:)

You’re absolutely right. The camera is a big differentiator for me...but, for me, the 11 PM’s camera was more than good enough. However, the 12 PM’s camera is excellent and what I have see it do in lowish light I’ve been pleased with.

b7dd7ba04fd4e09b8cd1c5357a6fac61.jpg

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I saw I can upgrade. So this morning I ordered the 12 Max pro in the blue. Also on Verizon can have 30 month pymt over the 24. I ordered the 128 gig. My 11pro is 256 and on my use the 128 gig will be perfect! I am actually saving money by upgrading on my Verizon bill. I am excited to get it. I have the new iPad Air and love it. I had no plans to upgrade but decided to since I am on the Apple yearly.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
My 12 mini is a little snappier then my 11 was and the camera has also improved. The reason I got the mini was T-Mobile offered a free one with my 11 trade in.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I found two cases at the mall at a kiosk. Unsure if will work wirelessly. I didn’t ask. I don’t want my new phone without a case. I will be getting a screen protector too. It doesn’t matter to me if they work wirelessly or not. They are pretty and will protect my phone. IMG_1554.JPG

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods