Is the factory unlocked version out?

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The factory unlocked version has been available since preorders went live. The T-Mobile version is factory unlocked and will work on any GSM carrier in the US and overseas. It will also work with Verizon, however, you would have to activate a SIM using a Verizon phone first and then transfer it to the T-Mobile iPhone as Verizon will not activate any iPhone on their network that isn't supported by them, even if it is capable of using their network. The Verizon iPhone that I have is unlocked right out of the box and was also available at launch, although you would either have to have service with Verizon to get it from them, or purchase it at full retail directly from a Apple Store. I'm using my Verizon iPhone 6 with T-Mobile and my 6 Plus with AT&T and both devices run fine on another carriers network.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Look at the difference at check out on the 5S. You get two choices of unlocked and contract free at check out. Is the sim the only difference? Or some settings are set for T-Mobile? Thanks.

iPhone 5s 32GB Space Gray (GSM) Unlocked - Apple Store (U.S.)

iPhone 6 - Buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus - Apple Store (U.S.)

In the 6, if you just take the SIM out of the T-Mobile one and put in any other GSM compatible SIM, it will work. The only difference between the "Unlocked" and T-Mobile version is the Unlocked doesn't come with a SIM card :)

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
It will also work with Verizon, however, you would have to activate a SIM using a Verizon phone first and then transfer it to the T-Mobile iPhone as Verizon will not activate any iPhone on their network that isn't supported by them, even if it is capable of using their network. The Verizon iPhone that I have is unlocked right out of the box and was also available at launch, although you would either have to have service with Verizon to get it from them, or purchase it at full retail directly from a Apple Store. I'm using my Verizon iPhone 6 with T-Mobile and my 6 Plus with AT&T and both devices run fine on another carriers network.
The thing about Verizon is their voice network falls back to CDMA technology... And why devices OEMed for other GSM networks will not be activated by Verizon... Verizon will only activate devices that are OEMed for use on their network, including the CDMA voice network. yes, Verizon iPhones(5 and above) can be used on other networks...but devices OEMed for GSM carriers can't be used on Verizon.

Zyiros

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Good! Can't wait for prices to come down on unlocked iPhones on Craigslist!

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73