Is the difference in cameras between the iPhone 12 pro and pro max worth purchasing the pro max?

ekneeiphone

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
It seems that the camera and video capabilities are different in the two iPhone 12 pro models.
Is the difference in cameras significant enough to justify purchasing the max screen size aside?

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Would like to hear thoughts on this as well! I’m leaning toward the regular 12 Pro. I don’t think the camera differences are enough of a benefit to outweigh the cost associated with the size of the Max (which is a con, for me)

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
For me there is enough of a difference to get the 12ProMax:

Resolution:

• iPhone 12 Pro, is a 6.1-inch display with 2532 x 1170 resolution.
  • iPhone 12 Pro Max is a 6.7-inch display with 2778 x 1284 resolution.

Battery (based on Apple's playback time, have to wait until a teardown to know for sure)
Rumors:

• iPhone 12 Pro 2,775 mAh battery
  • iPhone 12 Pro Max's 3,687 mAh battery

Aperture

• iPhone 12 Pro's lens is f/2.0
  • iPhone 12 Pro Max lens is f/2.2

Focal Length

• iPhone 12 Pro 52mm
  • iPhone 12 Pro Max 65mm (+ larger optical zoom for what it's worth)

Image Stabilization
The 12 Pro Max also uses a different type of image stabilization technology called sensor shift, which moves the sensor around multiple axes in response to external motion. It’s commonly found in DSLRs and mirrorless cameras, whose makers then benefit from not having to build OIS into lenses. Apple says this adds a full stop of stabilization — in other words, letting you use twice as long a shutter speed, all things being equal. That takes the 12 Pro Max up to two-second handheld exposures in regular shooting, which could reduce the need for night mode in all but the darkest conditions. "The Verge"

Westiemom

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
It’s not weighing on my decision. I’m much more torn between the iPhone 12 and 12 Pro.

I have tossed that around in my head as well since Tuesday, but I think if I don’t go with the pro I’ll regret it. I do take A LOT of photos.My dog has an Instagram account that is growing exponentially. Lol!

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I have tossed that around in my head as well since Tuesday, but I think if I don’t go with the pro I’ll regret it. I do take A LOT of photos.My dog has an Instagram account that is growing exponentially. Lol!

That’s what I’m thinking as well. I really want the best camera possible. In the scheme of things another hundred dollars doesn’t seem that terrible. Of course I haven’t even talked with my husband about this... yet! I’m sure he’ll have a clear and opposing opinion to mine! And of course there’s the trade in value of my 8+. Which is close to $200. That might take the edge off even more! It really wouldn’t be such a big deal except he just bought me a new car. So how much can a girl ask for?

I really don’t wanna know the answer to that question!

Westiemom

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
That’s what I’m thinking as well. I really want the best camera possible. In the scheme of things another hundred dollars doesn’t seem that terrible. Of course I haven’t even talked with my husband about this... yet! I’m sure he’ll have a clear and opposing opinion to mine! And of course there’s the trade in value of my 8+. Which is close to $200. That might take the edge off even more! It really wouldn’t be such a big deal except he just bought me a new car. So how much can a girl ask for?

I really don’t wanna know the answer to that question!

I’m on the yearly upgrade cycle with Verizon, so I always get a new one and send the old one back. So I’m renting the phones actually. But this is my vice, I love getting a new phone every year and it could be something worse I guess!
And oddly Annie, I just got a new car too. We must be kindred spirits or something!

etad putta

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
My wife is a casual picture taker. I ordered a Pro blue 128 for her. The size of the Pro with a case is large enough in her opinion. We were looking at a 12 128 but the jump up to a pro with 128 standard was a minimal investment.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It seems that the camera and video capabilities are different in the two iPhone 12 pro models.
Is the difference in cameras significant enough to justify purchasing the max screen size aside?

Unless you’re going make consistent use of the camera and all it has to offer then the answer is no, in my opinion. The camera on the non-Max model is more than adequate.

lv1

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
When I plan to do serious photography I bring my Sony cameras. Sure the iPhone is handy when I don’t have my other cameras with me, but the fact is over 95% of my photos are not shot with my smartphone.
D62E1C19-FAA4-4983-939D-C76C0BEC7E00.jpeg

lv1

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
That was my thinking also. I usually go for the “cutting edge” technology, but this year the trade off for me was size. I did not want to go larger than my XS Max and dropped down to the 12 Pro, since I don’t take a lot of photos with my phone. And if I did, I don’t think it would make much of a difference in image quality.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
So if I’m understanding correctly, the differences are in how the Pro Max handles OIS and also an increased optical zoom distance by an additional 2x.

For me, it’s not worth the size trade off. So I went with the non-Max. I just don’t want a phone that size. I’m a little annoyed at Apple for differentiating the two models and forcing those who want the best camera to go with the largest option. I enjoyed not having to sacrifice size for feature/functionality.

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
So if I’m understanding correctly, the differences are in how the Pro Max handles OIS and also an increased optical zoom distance by an additional 2x.

For me, it’s not worth the size trade off. So I went with the non-Max. I just don’t want a phone that size. I’m a little annoyed at Apple for differentiating the two models and forcing those who want the best camera to go with the largest option. I enjoyed not having to sacrifice size for feature/functionality.

My thoughts exactly. The con of the size outweighed the benefit of the slightly better camera; however, the differentiations still leaves a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

The camera was not enough for me. It sounded like a nice improvement but not enough for me to consider going with the Max. What did make me consider the Max was to get the larger battery, though that wasn't enough, either.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Unless you’re going make consistent use of the camera and all it has to offer then the answer is no, in my opinion. The camera on the non-Max model is more than adequate.

I do use my camera on my phone a heck of a lot. As an actor and director, I use it for self tape auditions and to film scenes for reels and even short movies. Having the best bang for my buck is important in a camera/phone.

Whilst I'd do have a semi-decent (but somewhat old) Nikon DSLR, honestly the phone gets way more use and is more convenient.

The only thing I dislike is the size of the 12 Pro Max is slightly bigger than my 11 PM.

I'll dig for some comparisons between the 11 PM, 12 and 12 PM cameras in a few weeks after they're all out and in general use.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site

If you can afford it, then definitely get the Pro Max. I did that with the 11 and really glad I did. Then again, I'm also a photographer.

kanomv

Sep 3, 2019
Visit site
I’m undecided between the pro and pro max but will probably go with the pro this time around. I have an XS max and got tired of the size which made me use it caseless and things didn’t end well Maybe I’ll go for an 12 pro with more storage instead of going for the pro max.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I also have an XS Max, but I don't want to go as small as the 12 / 12 pro. Just too small for me, for my eyes. The difference in size from the XS Max to the 12 Pro Max is a few mm. When you see it on the size comparison sites and the overlays it's not a worry it will feel any larger. If someone is unhappy and the XS Max is too large, then I understand. When I hold my wife's iPhone 8 it feels like a toy for a doll.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73