Is it worth jumping to G4?

olliegrl

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I was at my carrier store tonight and was checking out the G4 mainly for the camera. I'm a staunch Apple user and everything in my house is apple. That camera is amazing on the G4!

With the looming announcement of the new iPhones are any of you waiting to see what they'll offer or are you jumping ship for phones with "sexier" specs?

I hope the 6s (or whatever they call it) has a better low light sensor and some more manual options (ISO, shutter speed, WB, etc) like most other phones can do now.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
The G4 auditioned for a spot on my team (it lost out to this NeXuS 6). It's a nice phone with a great crisp display. However, its no iPhone 6+ and my sample had touch-response issues. I would recommend holding out for a 6s+/6+s if you don't want today's 6+.

olliegrl

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I agree about the overall experience. I'm just sick of having to carry around a phone and a camera cause my phone can't take a good photo on the fly (good to me meaning I can get the good technical aspects of a photo not just being able to snap something quickly)

I know Apple keeps improving its sensors but it's a little slow for my taste. Slightly frustrating when there are so many other options out there.

@H: I understand waiting for the next specs to come out but I guess my question is also what if they come out and they're the same as they are now or only offer minor improvements? To be expected the year after a big release. The S series phones were never meant to make headlines IMO. I guess if this were a big release year id be more excited to see what Apple is bringing to the table.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Well, the G4 camera is good but if camera is the priority and the 6/6+ doesn't meet your liking you may be beat served with an S6. ...though the G4's camera is nice indeed but I'm quite happy with sensor in the 6+ so I may not be as exacting as you.

olliegrl

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm using a 6. I didn't like the 6+ personally. So I don't have image stabilization and such. My draw to the G4 camera is the manual mode complete with Kelvin scale and histogram. I'm pretty impressed with a phone that can deliver a true manual mode and 1.8/f.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I will not switch from an iPhone ever again. It's not about the specs for me; it's abut the overall experience.

I agree. Whilst my HTC One M7 was a superb device, the long line of Samsung phones I had were just awful. I am happy with the Apple Ecosystem I have here and plan on sticking with Apple from now on as the experience I get from my Apple devices is superlative.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm using a 6. I didn't like the 6+ personally. So I don't have image stabilization and such. My draw to the G4 camera is the manual mode complete with Kelvin scale and histogram. I'm pretty impressed with a phone that can deliver a true manual mode and 1.8/f.

Those are nice attributes but the touch sensitivity issues I experienced with the G4 put me off a little. Not horrible but noticeable nonetheless.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
The very first iPhone 6+ I bought had a dead pixel. Best Buy promptly exchanged it. Further back, I bought a 17" MBP that had a dead pixel out if the box but the Apple Store exchanged it after I made a stink. (I shouldn't have had to make a stink). Of all the Apple gear I've had (and I've had a lot) those were the only imperfections I recall.

Things happen but I've read a lot of folks over at Android Central have touch issues with the G4. I have no regrets choosing the Nexus 6 to replace it and am glad my 6+ is flawless.

The purity of flawless perfection can't be overstated.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner