Is it time for a new iOS home screen (Springboard)

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
The current iOS home screen looks pretty much as it did back in 2007. Sure they've added fast app switching and notification center and folders, but the basic paradigm is still the same - an icon launcher, like Palm had a decade ago.

Is iOS 6 time for something new? And if so, what would you like to see? Something more like webOS cards (Safari pages), like Ice Cream Sandwich for Android? Or something totally new?

Total Siri?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Themes would be a great start. How about the ability to move the icons to any spot on the home screen? I've pretty much given up the dream of any type of customization on a iDevice, though. :(

anon(1144891)

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I would like to see a few things:

1) The ability to place the icons anywhere on the screen. I'm ok with the grid, but allow me to place it anywhere I like in that grid. Allow me to frame them around the outside or put them into an L-shape to show a gorgeous picture I took.

2) Similar to swipe down for notifications, what about a swipe up for the multitasking? It would make me use my home button less, making it so I'm not tempted to use WD-40 on it! :p Might only be allowed from the Spring board due to in-app gestures, but it would be great.

3) In either the notifications or multitasking area, add some options toggles for wifi, airplane mode, Bluetooth, etc. Also, make them customizable for the settings that each user uses the most.

I think in general, they have done a great job with a "stock" OS. If they give the options for users to customize their interface how they would like, especially for everyone reading iMore, it would make a great thing that much better. Giving options to better interact with your device is exactly where Apple needs to keep pushing.

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk on my iPhone 4S

jjcasillas15

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I vote for adding option toggles in the notification area.... The biggest thing I miss coming from Android. Was really convenient to be able to turn bluetooth, wifi...etc. on/off.

DarshOne

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I vote for adding option toggles in the notification area.... The biggest thing I miss coming from Android. Was really convenient to be able to turn bluetooth, wifi...etc. on/off.

i realize not everyone wants to jailbreak, but i really wanted this feature as well and it was the main reason i did.

i keep everyhing abuot my homescreen stock except for i have 5icons in my dock, and i can place my icons anywhere in the grid, (believe the tweak is called "gridlock", and also "springtomize"

i also have sbsettings activated in the notification center, so with a drop down i can change my brightness, wifi and location settings (i could add others but these are the 3 i use most).

with a jailbreak i can most all the features requested in this thread, but i still think they should all be included in the stock OS, i still dont see why they arent.

andrewshah

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I think a high quality theme section in the app store would be a great start. Some of the themes on Cydia are absolutely outstanding, and I think Apple should consider them.

Swiping up to open the fast app switcher would be great, that way I wouldn't be so worried about wearing out my home button.
In fact, I think the app switcher should be reorganized into something with more eye candy and functionality. Perhaps a cover flow effect for open applications, that takes up as much room on the screen as the cover flow for the Music app.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Themes would be a great start. How about the ability to move the icons to any spot on the home screen? I've pretty much given up the dream of any type of customization on a iDevice, though. :(

I'm with you. It would be so nice to be able to place icons anywhere on the screen. As for Rene's primary question, I agree that it is time for Apple to stun the technology world and introduce a new & innovative user interface that is still simple to use for non-tech types.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPad 2)

itsalexaye

May 8, 2011
Visit site
I think if Apple does change up the springboard, it'll be done awesomely! You see how they made notifications look and act better than in Android!

patricksmangan

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
I like the windows phone ui so I have the revive os7 theme. I don't know if apple would do anything major with the springboard, but official themes would be easier and more bug free than jailbreak themes. Also oficial sbsettings, which if we bought sbsettings as an official app, it would only require that apple gives more capabilities to 3rd party apps to customize their notifications in nc. But if I ever saw a ui mockup that I like better than iOS or wpos, than id vote for that.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't care for themes but still dont know why Apple does not allow them.

Because allowing themes would take a little more control away from Apple and we all know how they like to control the total user experience. ;)

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

JonB74

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Widgets - yes. Place icons anywhere - yes. Themes - yes.

Problem is that Apple is the only major OS that doesn't let you do that (BB is somewhat limited though) and with their trigger happy lawyers suing everyone else over UI aspects, if they implemented any of those things, they might find themselves on the receiving end of those suits.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
The current iOS home screen looks pretty much as it did back in 2007. Sure they've added fast app switching and notification center and folders, but the basic paradigm is still the same - an icon launcher, like Palm had a decade ago.

Is iOS 6 time for something new? And if so, what would you like to see? Something more like webOS cards (Safari pages), like Ice Cream Sandwich for Android? Or something totally new?

Total Siri?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

For the past few months I have thought they just needed a re-fresh, but the other day I used a non-jailbroken phone and I realized how stale it has become, I'm used to my jailbroken phone, so I think it's time for some major changes.

iOS still class leading in most ways, but all consumer products need change eventually, can you imagine if a car company decided to never update a vehicle again? It would eventually become dated and forgotten. I believe they can do it fairly easily too, theme store, widgets, updated ui, dynamic icons, turn by turn GPS integration, etc. All things which are doable considering what the jailbreak community can do.

I feel it's time when a homescreen on iOS 1.xx looks exactly the same as 5.xx minus wallpapers!!

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
whatever Apple does we have to know that battery performance is one of THE top priorities and that is why i feel it will never be what most would like

can you imagine adding battery hogging features to the point of people having to charge their phone twice, or more, a day?? their freaking heads would pop OFF!

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
whatever Apple does we have to know that battery performance is one of THE top priorities and that is why i feel it will never be what most would like

can you imagine adding battery hogging features to the point of people having to charge their phone twice, or more, a day?? their freaking heads would pop OFF!

Can you imagine if someone made a phone that you didn't have to charge for days?? They do, it's called a jitterbug, it doesn't have any battery hogging features, and I don't ever want one..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods