• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

Is it possible to upgrade a iPhone OG or 3GS?

I

iMore Question

Hello. I am new here. I’ve really loved the paint scheme and design of the original iPhone up to the 3GS. I’ve seen that only a few providers still support the iPhone. I have an iPhone 6, but I simply using as just a phone, not really a smartphone. I just take pictures, send messages, call, and email. The original iPhone can do that, but I don’t think it is quite as good. So this is my question is: is it possible to put new hardware from lets say, an iPhone se or iPhone 6? I’d really like to savor the original design, but still have some decently new hardware and internals. I’d think from the SE, but it’d be quite a build to cram all of the intervals into the iPhone OG.

JML5150

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
No I doubt the logic board/battery would fit. Especially based on the shape change from the 3GS to the 4 to the 5/SE

Velonaut

Oct 26, 2018
Visit site
No I doubt the logic board/battery would fit. Especially based on the shape change from the 3GS to the 4 to the 5/SE

Thank you for the response. Do you think there are any solutions to simply enable it to use iOS 10 or past? I run iOS10 on my iPhone 6 and it runs well just like that even in 2018. I just want it to perform my tasks a bit more smoothly. I don’t believe it is supported by Verizon anymore either.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for the response. Do you think there are any solutions to simply enable it to use iOS 10 or past? I run iOS10 on my iPhone 6 and it runs well just like that even in 2018. I just want it to perform my tasks a bit more smoothly. I don’t believe it is supported by Verizon anymore either.

Welcome to iMore

Unfortunately the original iPhone can’t handle any updates as the hardware is outdated but I would like to see Apple release a retro looking device to appeal to there diehard customers

Velonaut

Oct 26, 2018
Visit site
Welcome to iMore

Unfortunately the original iPhone can’t handle any updates as the hardware is outdated but I would like to see Apple release a retro looking device to appeal to there diehard customers

I am amongst one of the diehards. I’m in the midst of getting an iphone xr since my iphone 6 is not opening gmail, strava, and garmin connect. All of those are the apps I use on a daily basis. I don’t like to buy icloud storage, but I have about 600 mb left.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I am amongst one of the diehards. I’m in the midst of getting an iphone xr since my iphone 6 is not opening gmail, strava, and garmin connect. All of those are the apps I use on a daily basis. I don’t like to buy icloud storage, but I have about 600 mb left.

Welcome to iMore

It appears you need more storage on your soon to be Xr

Enjoy your new device and a nice choice

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
It would be cool to see someone do that. I’m sure it wouldn’t be cost effective at all though. Probably the only way it could be close to even being done would be to build an original style aluminum back for the appropriate phone you wanted to use as a base model since almost every phone past the 5s/se have been bigger than the original iPhone.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shanefreedman