Is it possible to have two operating systems on a SSD drive?

Charles Lang

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
Partitions on a SSD drive.

Is it possible to have two operating systems on a SSD drive? I'd like to keep Snow Leopard and also use Yosemite.

Charles Lang

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
Re: Partitions on a SSD drive.

I did a little more research. I found this.
"This is a big deal. If you have a 3rd-party SSD, you have the potential to be dead in the water on upgrade. For this reason, please contact the manufacturer of your SSD system – and read the supporting articles – before upgrading to Yosemite. Make sure you KNOW that your drive will work before you have problems.
Remember, Apple-supplied SSDs work fine. The issue is only with 3rd-party SSD drives." I can't post the link because I haven't yet posted enough replies

pbehnke2003

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
Re: Partitions on a SSD drive.

They only killed TRIM support for SSD. I just bought a PNY Optima 240GB...works great. Also I got an email from Dave Hamilton from "The Mac Geek Gab"podcast and he said this exact thing. What you have now is "Garbage Collection" which is essentially the same thing on Third Party SSD's. The best way to run that is once a month or so, hold alt when you start your computer and let it sit at the "select disk" for a couple hours so he firmware in the SSD can do its thing.

OWC, Crucial, PNY, Samsung...they should all work. Just make sure you back up your info just in case. What I did though is copied all the necessary docs and started fresh!

FYI, the PNY Optima 240gb is at Best Buy for $89.00. I bought it for a Mid 2012 MacBook Pro and it works fantastic. It put new life into the machine!

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro