Is it possible to disable FaceTime on the iPhone when on wifi?

I

iMore Question

Is it possible to disable FaceTime on iphone when on wifi

Have been able to disable Facetime on teenage son's iphone through the usual restriction settings however it still allows incoming calls (on FaceTime) if it comes through over wifi. Is there way to disable FaceTime so it won't work while on wifi?
Thanks

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Re: Is it possible to disable FaceTime on iphone when on wifi

Hi, welcome to iMore.

Disable FaceTime in settings and restrict enabling FaceTime in restrictions.

mp035

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site

Thank you for your reply...
I have disabled Facetime and engaged the restrictions.
The problem is that the restrictions work when he is trying to make calls however if
if someone calls him using wifi it overrides the restrictions and he is free to talk via FaceTime.
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated,,,Thanks again....

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

If FaceTime is disabled for his account, no one should be able to call him on FaceTime. In fact, he shouldn't be able to FaceTime anything, in and outgoing is just like he never existed on FaceTime.

Make sure everything is like you want it to be and use your own passcode for restrictions.

mp035

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site

Thank you again Tartarus for attempting to help.
I know this seems odd but I have done everything you said and even went to
two Tmobile stores for help. They checked everything I did with the phone and then had someone
call using Facetime and again the call comes through on wifi and you are able to hold a conversation.
(but as usual it is completely disabled when attempting to call out)
The guys at the stores are stumped as well as tech support on the phone.
I even purchased the parential "family allowance" package which they said would work but it doesn't.
At this point unless you or someone else has another solution I'm just going to have to get rid of the phone,
and I'm not looking forward to that battle...lol
Anyway thank again for your help.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site

I know we all love iPhones over here, BUT maybe the compromise is to switch him to an Android? Of course then you got Google Hangouts to worry about! I'm not sure if YOU would be able to find and/or purchase one, BUT they do make an iphone for the Middle East that doesn't have FaceTime. There is also talk that the next version of iOS (iOS 10) will allow you to remove system apps, so that would solve your problem. Won't be out till Sept though.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

I know we all love iPhones over here, BUT maybe the compromise is to switch him to an Android? Of course then you got Google Hangouts to worry about! I'm not sure if YOU would be able to find and/or purchase one, BUT they do make an iphone for the Middle East that doesn't have FaceTime. There is also talk that the next version of iOS (iOS 10) will allow you to remove system apps, so that would solve your problem. Won't be out till Sept though.

I'm 99% sure that FaceTime and iMessage are not one of the apps that can be deleted.

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site

I'm 99% sure that FaceTime and iMessage are not one of the apps that can be deleted.

Bummage, was just a thought and besides iOS 10 is a LONG ways off for us regular folks!

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

0461b7ea84804ea90c7871c32de52465.jpg

iMessage can't, FaceTime can be deleted.

mp035

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
Thanks so such for your suggestions but on his 6s plus there is no option to delete Facetime (there is no x to delete),
It's looking more and more like I'm going to have to admit defeat on this one....

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Thanks so such for your suggestions but on his 6s plus there is no option to delete Facetime (there is no x to delete),
It's looking more and more like I'm going to have to admit defeat on this one....

I think Tartarus is on the iOS 10 beta, but regular folks can't get it yet.

judgetom

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site

Thank you for your reply...
I have disabled Facetime and engaged the restrictions.
The problem is that the restrictions work when he is trying to make calls however if
if someone calls him using wifi it overrides the restrictions and he is free to talk via FaceTime.
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated,,,Thanks again....

Did you already tried to remove/uncheck in the facetime settings his cell phone number and possible mail addresses? If there is no phone number or mail address in the setup of facetime he should not be reachable

mp035

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site

Thank you judgetom
I did try this however I was only able to uncheck the email...his phone number/checkmark is not highlighted and therefore when
I try to press it to remove it it doesn.t remove either the number or the check

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR