Is it possible for someone tech savvy to hack an Apple device?

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm asking for a friend who wants to make the switch from Android to Apple.

She lives in CT, is trying to leave an abusive marriage, she has health issues, too.
Up to now, her H and her both use Samsung Galaxy phones with Sprint.
She is even less tech savvy than I am, but recently she found out her phone is linked to her H's email, so are her contacts, and that he (very tech savvy guy) can pretty much access her phone and PC whenever he chooses.
He knows everything she's been accessing on her phone and PC.

I advised her to start by protecting her privacy, and inevitably, the conversation turned to Apple products.
I explained the whole Apple ID + Touch ID thing to her.
She really doesn't do much with a computer other than browsing, going on discussion forums, doing internet searches.
(I've already told her about Duck Duck Go VS Google)

At first I thought she might not need a Macbook, that she'd do well with an iPad + iPhone combo, though her vision is pretty bad so maybe the clarity of a Macbook might be best for her.

The obvious advantages of iPad + iPhone are portability: She'd never let her devices out of her sight, though a Macbook Air is pretty portable too.

Is it possible to hack an Apple ecosystem?
In her situation, which devices would you choose and why?

Money doesn't appear to be much of a factor, but she's really concerned about her privacy right now, she's afraid her H would discover whatever plans she makes to get out of her situation.
Also, I'm in California so it's not like I can just drive down the street to help her out.

How would you advise her?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Is it possible to hack an Apple ecosystem?
Anything can be hacked... if the 'H' has no physical access to the devices ever - it would be quite difficult.
How would you advise her?
She should find a local to her Non-government Org. or something that deals with domestic situations and helping people get out of bad situations... they'll be able to help with tech issues if the Org is worth it's salt.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It's really quite simple to monitor activities and usage on any phone or computer...especially if you allow it to happen in the first place (IE: letting her husband link her phone to his email). It's really not "hacking" anything...I mean look at all the teen tracking software out there. All you need is access to the person's account info and viola! You're in. My brother monitors his two son's smart phones with one of those trackers...he can see all of their emails, texts, phone calls and their location whenever he wants. I think he pays a bit for it every month, but it's nothing difficult (he's damn near computer illiterate and uses it with ease).

All that said, like Keith said, you can hack anything of this nature with enough effort. As for what she should get, I honestly have no idea...whatever works for her best I suppose.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Mainly, aside from being really bad with all tech things, she has been so sick that her mind has been on other things, you know?
Right now I'm trying to teach her how to put her own email address on her phone and change her passwords and even that is a challenge.
I'm terribly worried about her.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Mainly, aside from being really bad with all tech things, she has been so sick that her mind has been on other things, you know?
Right now I'm trying to teach her how to put her own email address on her phone and change her passwords and even that is a challenge.

I can understand that...it's always a bit frustrating when you're trying to help someone who can't help themselves well in many ways. Hopefully you can help her get past that barrier.

To be 100% honest, if she isn't all that tech savvy, I'd probably suggest her having a computer and phone vs. sticking with iPad and iPhone only. Reason being, many of the simple things we do on a computer take a bit more effort and understanding to do in totality on an iOS device (or any smart phone/tablet for that matter). My dad tried to go the route of only having an iPad and his experience was one where he was trying to find work arounds to do simple things he could do on a computer (bills were one of the primary things).

I think a person without tech savviness would probably benefit more from having a full blown computer vs. a tablet to function in its place.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I can understand that...it's always a bit frustrating when you're trying to help someone who can't help themselves well in many ways. Hopefully you can help her get past that barrier.

To be 100% honest, if she isn't all that tech savvy, I'd probably suggest her having a computer and phone vs. sticking with iPad and iPhone only. Reason being, many of the simple things we do on a computer take a bit more effort and understanding to do in totality on an iOS device (or any smart phone/tablet for that matter). My dad tried to go the route of only having an iPad and his experience was one where he was trying to find work arounds to do simple things he could do on a computer (bills were one of the primary things).

I think a person without tech savviness would probably benefit more from having a full blown computer vs. a tablet to function in its place.

So like a Macbook and iPhone or a PC and any phone?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Nothing is linked with Apple devices unless they share an AppleID. As for hacking, legitimate hacking that is, requires programming knowledge and gaining access through some sort of security loop hole. Though for what you've described I would recommend an unlimited data if possible and using the phone as a mobile hotspot that is password protected. No linked accounts and a separate wifi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't have a working computer. My phone has not been connected to iTunes since it was new 23 months ago. I back up with iCloud. My 1Password is synced to Dropbox. I pay my bills on online sites in Safari on my phone. It can be done. It takes a little practice to navigate, but it's not that bad. An iPhone is as secure as they come. She needs at least 2 email accounts of her own that he doesn't know. A third account for giving out to friends. He's likely to get that one.

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site

If H set up correctly the original mail settings like I would do if I'm to be the bad guy, I would link a rescue mail address to my wife mail address, best of all, I will link and hide my mail to hers so that any email she gets or send get forward as a copy to my mailbox. I can even set it up so she won't be able to change that rescue mail address I link to her mail box. That said, if you change her mail password, H will get a copy of the notification saying you have change your password. Chances are that new password will be listed within the mail he will receive. While you will think that you are safe, he will still see you coming via all your mails and email conversation.
I strongly advice these:
1. Format your computer if possible to get rid of any probable spy software installed into the computer.
2. Set up a strong password to the computer. One word that have nothing to do with your BD or pet. One like qwertY-Abcd@987
2. Open a brand new iCloud mail account, set a strong password to it
Install software like CCleaner if windows computer to clean up cash memories and do not allow browser to save in password.
If Macbok, make sure your Mac ask for password once you close the lid and open it again, I mean don't allow your Mac to stay on working screen and leave it. I can retrieve your MacBook password if I have access to the "library" folder. and I can even have access to all your other accounts you ever open on that MacBook. if I know your MacBook password, I have access to your keychain and there I have every password I want. So only keep your Mac password all the time will really protect you.
3. Make sure all your future conversations, contacts, etc are all link to the new iCloud account you now have and simply forget about all your other accounts (if you really suspect that he have access to them)

From there you should be good to go.

As for iPhone and finger print, I have told to Jhony Ive that he's finger print security thing is a joke. Don't count on it as it's very vulnerable. Set password and only password to your iPhone if you live with H because if you set up finger print, he will unlock the device while you will be deep sleeping, I mean he just need to manage so that the iPhone sensor gently touch your dedicated finger while you are deep sleeping and voila, he's deep into you life for a long time, and he will always see you coming, you won't understand how but it will be because you have trusted finger print, on the opposite side, he will need you to speak out your passcode before he can unlock the iPhone unless... I mean it will be hard but still there are ways to by pass lockscreen code on iPhone.
Keep your devices close to you, or have them passworded everytime and you should be good.
Good luck.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, I'll pass that on to her. It's going to take step by step directions to get her to do all that but I think with patience, she can do it.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I did tell her I believe he has all her email account info and that she should move to Apple, create all new accounts with new passwords and forget about anything she's used in the past.

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I did tell her I believe he has all her email account info and that she should move to Apple, create all new accounts with new passwords and forget about anything she's used in the past.

This is a good step already. But if H have physical access to computer, or have installed spy soft into computer before, H will retrieve new iCloud account password.
Before create new iCloud account, make sure computer is sterilized by formatting and reinstalling the OS, unless it's a new computer.
By reinstalling os of the comp, you take out the probability that there are spy installed into the computer (I stress on it because you say H is tech savvy)
By keeping computer passworded and away from H you strengthen your security.
Don't forget to tell her to ask for help from specialized organizations to help her out from her situation as this could be the best solution rather than living an insecure life and having to fear H spying on you.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
This is a good step already. But if H have physical access to computer, or have installed spy soft into computer before, H will retrieve new iCloud account password.
Before create new iCloud account, make sure computer is sterilized by formatting and reinstalling the OS, unless it's a new computer.
By reinstalling os of the comp, you take out the probability that there are spy installed into the computer (I stress on it because you say H is tech savvy)
By keeping computer passworded and away from H you strengthen your security.
Don't forget to tell her to ask for help from specialized organizations to help her out from her situation as this could be the best solution rather than living an insecure life and having to fear H spying on you.

No here's the thing: She's not on Apple anything YET.
She has a beat up old PC and a Samsung Galaxy phone.

So technically, if she buys a brand new Macbook and an iPhone, and creates all new email accounts, apple ID etc from the Apple store, with the help of an Apple tech, she should be ok, right?
Because I believe that S.O.B is into every part of her PC and Android phone and has been for quite some time.
So creating a whole new system via Apple and just dropping her old system cold should keep her safe from intrusions, yes?

And we are talking about getting her set up with a domestic abuse prevention center, yes.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Doesn't really matter...the situation you're describing isn't really fixed or defeated by owning either a Mac or Windows based PC...that just boils down to preference.

Ok.

Well, considering how old and wonky her PC is, how she says she's always had issues with it, including viruses, and what a royal pain it is for her to use in general, I'm going to advise her to get a Macbook Air.
She has close to zero strength left in her body so if she needs to move it around the house or out of the house, she'll be able to.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
The main question should be is she still living with the guy ? Because if he has physical access or see new devices he might get mad or abusive and that won't help her.
I would just tell her to factory reset her Galaxy and setup with a new email etc . If that all goes smooth then later move to apple Eco system etc. she can tell him her phone was having issues and tech support helped her set it up. Then password protect it and don't let him have physical access to it.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
The main question should be is she still living with the guy ? Because if he has physical access or see new devices he might get mad or abusive and that won't help her.
I would just tell her to factory reset her Galaxy and setup with a new email etc . If that all goes smooth then later move to apple Eco system etc. she can tell him her phone was having issues and tech support helped her set it up. Then password protect it and don't let him have physical access to it.

No, she's trying to leave but she has a chronic illness and gets seizures, can't absorb foods easily and spends 50% of her time doubled over in pain because of gastric issues.
Summoning the energy for her to just walk around the neighborhood or go to the corner store is a superhuman effort for her.
So we're working on it, but she can't just pack up her things and move out, she needs time and help.

This is why setting her up with a communications system that would be private seems like a good first step: she'd be able to contact her support system without him knowing.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
No, she's trying to leave but she has a chronic illness and gets seizures, can't absorb foods easily and spends 50% of her time doubled over in pain because of gastric issues.
Summoning the energy for her to just walk around the neighborhood or go to the corner store is a superhuman effort for her.
So we're working on it, but she can't just pack up her things and move out, she needs time and help.

This is why setting her up with a communications system that would be private seems like a good first step: she'd be able to contact her support system without him knowing.

I would just add a separate email account if he don't have access to phone then he would never know or be able to read it.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
This is just my opinion on the matter...but if the relationship she's in is truly that abusive, you should probably wait to get her setup with any private, separated tech stuff...because the guy is just going to get back into it or deny her access to it if he can't.