Is it likely the newer iMacs (whenever they show up) will have only flash storage?

romeytang

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone, I am contemplating replacing my older MBP and strongly considering an iMac. Deciding between portability and screen real estate currently. Is there any reason why purchasing one now would be unwise? The only downside I can see to the iMac, for me, right now is the lack of Thunderbolt 2 ports. The fusion drive seems like a decent compromise over the excessive price for the flash storage. Is it likely the newer iMacs (whenever they show up) would have only flash storage?

Since the usual time for Mac refreshes is in the fall, does it seem likely that we will get any new Macs this year. Is Thunderbolt 2 going to wow my socks off that it's worth waiting for an iMac with Thunderbolt 2?

Thanks for the help everyone.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Well we MIGHT just get some info on Sept 9th as Apple has a Press event. As we all know the main topics will be the "rumoured" iwatch and iphone 6, BUT they always talk about other stuff too, and they may well address upcoming imac products. Keep your eyes peeled to the iMore front page for all the news and info! Especially on 9/9 the day of the event. Rene, Peter and the gang will surely be live blogging it and providing commentary as well as articles about the products as they get announced. :)

jasonprice

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone, I am contemplating replacing my older MBP and strongly considering an iMac. Deciding between portability and screen real estate currently. Is there any reason why purchasing one now would be unwise? The only downside I can see to the iMac, for me, right now is the lack of Thunderbolt 2 ports. The fusion drive seems like a decent compromise over the excessive price for the flash storage. Is it likely the newer iMacs (whenever they show up) would have only flash storage?

Since the usual time for Mac refreshes is in the fall, does it seem likely that we will get any new Macs this year. Is Thunderbolt 2 going to wow my socks off that it's worth waiting for an iMac with Thunderbolt 2?

Thanks for the help everyone.

I absolutely think we will be seeing the iMac transition to flash only storage. It only makes sense in the evolution of things. Now the question nobody but Apple can answer is when.

wrldwzrd89

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
My guesses for the next iMac include USB type C ports, Broadwell CPUs, support for 64 GB of memory (in the 27 inch model only, with 16 GB chips), and maybe a Retina display (5k resolution), depending on cost for Apple.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR