is iPhone 5c a risky buy?

JobSteves

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi there going to buy my first i-device in a fe w weeks. I just wanted to know whether the iPhone 5c will last me for at least 2 years or not. I plan to play some games but not heavily, mostly plan to use it for music and reading and want a stable device after having terrible experiences with android and wp none lasting for more than 1 year.

If I don't care about performance do I need to save up for iPhone 5s 16gb or at that price I can buy a iPhone 5c 32gb

You may want to note is that it's basically an iPhone 5 which came out in 2012. So by 2016 you'll still be using a phone with 2012 specs (as far as Apple products go). If that matters to you I'd highly suggest spending an extra 100$ for a 5S.

However the 5C is still a very good phone and will still be running smoothly and receiving software updates in 2016.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I have a 5c and 5s. To me, the only major difference is the finger print scanner. However, I favor the 5c because the color brightens up my day. It's a beautiful blue amongst the sea of black and white phones.

I think no matter which phone you choose, you'll be happy. I think you should visit an Apple store or even Best Buy and play with both. Get a real feel for them. Good luck and let us know what you decide on! ^_^

?Sent from a larger than life device. Using Tapatalk?

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I have a 5c and 5s. To me, the only major difference is the finger print scanner. However, I favor the 5c because the color brightens up my day. It's a beautiful blue amongst the sea of black and white phones.

I think no matter which phone you choose, you'll be happy. I think you should visit an Apple store or even Best Buy and play with both. Get a real feel for them. Good luck and let us know what you decide on! ^_^

You have nailed all the points and I felt the same was true with my 5c too, however I can't help but think maybe in a year or so I might want to consider an upgrade because the 5c, although fast on its own right, shows more noticeable albeit slight lag in many cases that the 5s would have ran far smoother. I think that is due to the 64 bit architecture in the 5s, and if the next C series phone has a bigger screen and 64 bit architecture I'm all over it.

Last edited:

Subh98

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site

I am really liking this forum day by day thereby fixing my decision to buy iPhone. And the points taken up by you and the above poster are dead true for me. The fun loving nature of my side is in love with the 5c while the geek inside me is screaming for 5s. Real confused. The reason i started this thread was because my friend's iPhone 5 though is very smooth, I have seen it lag and stutter quite a few times even on ios 7.1. and as the 5c has the same A6 processor I am concerned about the longevity. And apart from longevity nothing is beckoning me towards 5s which is a shame. Well this have put me in quite a hot soup and I have to finalise my decision on 26th April.
P.S Thanks guys for the help you have provided me. I would definitely appreciate more inputs which would enable me to take a decision. And sure I will tell my decision when i decide upon it.

melbsteve

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
Anyway, I think you - Subh- dont need to be concerned about the longevity of a 5C. I have a 5 and a 5C and I seriously can't think of any stutter ever. Maybe your friend's Phone was just too full or not running the latest software? I believe you'll be very happy with the C, as I said earlier based on your description absolutely ideal for you. Good luck with your choice ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Subh98

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys. Got my white iPhone 5c 16 GB 5 hours back. Loving it. Its a lot more awesome than iPhone 5s and after 7.1.1 update it just became a little bit too fast for my liking I guess. I kinda liked the slow animations but still the speed is amazing. Thanks for the awesome advice I got here which enabled me to make a great decision and now I can buy my headphones though apple earpods are much better than expected.

Posted via iMore App

agarwal.apar

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys, this forum has really really helped me in nailing out the options. My wife is on Z10 and she is totally fed up.

Her birthday is coming up in Jun and I want her to use a iPhone and I believe 5C is the safest best. My wife loved blue color but I like green and pink! My main concern is, how solid the body is? I have seen few drop tests on youtube and it fails miserably when it drops on edges or flat on screen

Sent from my Darth Vader black iPhone 5 using iMore Forums

parker5011

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys, this forum has really really helped me in nailing out the options. My wife is on Z10 and she is totally fed up.

Her birthday is coming up in Jun and I want her to use a iPhone and I believe 5C is the safest best. My wife loved blue color but I like green and pink! My main concern is, how solid the body is? I have seen few drop tests on youtube and it fails miserably when it drops on edges or flat on screen

I've seen nothing bad about the drop tests. I think it would also depend if you use a case or not. The 5c definitely feels more substantial in your hand.

On my 5 tapatalkin'

agarwal.apar

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Will definitely buy a case. My wife loves those perforated colourful case(s)

ItsMrMark

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Yeah thanks for the replies. Only think that is pushing me towards 5s is the built quality otherwise 5c perfect for my needs until I upgrade to iPhone 6s or 7. By the way does the iPhone 5c feels cheap or slippery due to glossy built or it feels premium. I am buying off contract therefore if I manage to save that 100 dollars I can plump up for a decent set of headphones.

Feels quality but is slippery.

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I love my 5C but if you're planning to keep it for two years, I'd spring for the 5S if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73