Is IPad Pro 256gb enough to use as full time laptop?

I

iMore Question

For years I have been a super low-tech person, using only a chromebook and a mid-level android phone and being totally chill with that. However, the time has come for me to upgrade. I work as a yoga instructor and I need to get some better pictures and video up on instagram and YouTube. I got the Sony Alpha 6000 and IPad Pro 12.9” 256gb WiFi with keyboard. I don’t use a ton of apps. I don’t game, download music (big Spotify user), or download movies. Main thing I will be doing is uploading and editing high res photo and video 720-1080p, using streaming services like Amazon and Netflix, and reading ebooks. I plan to back stuff up on the cloud, but don’t want to have to get online every time I want to show photos. I make my technology last and plan to use the IPad as long as I can. Since I’m investment mode I’m wondering if the upgrade to 512gb is worth it? Initially I never thought I would need it. I was going into the store planning on getting the 64gb the paid the extra $150 for 256gb ad the advice of the sales guy. Then once I got home I began to see where I might go in the future with all my new camera equipment and thought maybe I should just go for the top of the line! I don’t want to have buyers regret down the line, but also don’t want to waste $200. I am a total virgin to the whole Mac world, so please any insight is welcome. Cheers!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
For what you’ve described, the 256 GB model should be more than enough, in my opinion.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
As stated by Just_Me_D, I believe that the 256 GB model should be enough for what you will be using the iPad Pro for.

HBogard

Jun 1, 2017
Visit site
For me, it is, I have seen people who are a photographer, developers, movie makers with an external hard drive, if your main purpose is to stream, browse the web, make ppts, then it should be fine. Plus you have cloud storage which makes it easy to access your file on the go. so yeah.

MacNub_2K18

Apr 12, 2018
Visit site
Are they using their hardrive with the IPad Pro using a dongle? I was told it’s not possible to put files directly from ipad onto hard drive. Have I been misinformed?