Is iMac worth it?

evanking527

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I came into computing through iOS, WatchOS, and TVOS. Mac was the last platform I was introduced to, so I am more of an iOS kind of guy. I do photo editing on my iPad Pro, but I hear that the iMac is good for that as well. I have a Mac Mini right now for anything my iPad can't do, but the iMac has always looked beautiful and I'm thinking of getting an iMac. Are the new ones worth it? Am I better off sticking with iPad?

afctee

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Visit site
I am typing this from an iMac 27"; bought in June 2016. I don't do image related stuff, it was one of those where I always said I'd get an iMac to add to my hardware library. EVERYTHING just seems nicer on an iMac. Must be the Retina screen...

evanking527

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I am typing this from an iMac 27"; bought in June 2016. I don't do image related stuff, it was one of those where I always said I'd get an iMac to add to my hardware library. EVERYTHING just seems nicer on an iMac. Must be the Retina screen...

Yeah I tend to use my iOS devices because they are so much faster than my entry level 2014 Mac Mini. My Mac Mini is so slow that I would even dare putting professional software on it, so I don't do any photo editing on my Mac. Would the iMac be a big difference over my 1.4 GHz Mac Mini with 4GB of RAM?

afctee

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Visit site
Most certainly. Of course, there are various options. Mine:
- 27"
- i5
- 16GB memory
- 2TB fusion drive (128GB SSD)
- 4TB USB backup drive

Yeah I tend to use my iOS devices because they are so much faster than my entry level 2014 Mac Mini. My Mac Mini is so slow that I would even dare putting professional software on it, so I don't do any photo editing on my Mac. Would the iMac be a big difference over my 1.4 GHz Mac Mini with 4GB of RAM?

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I currently have two iMac 27 units with retina displays, 2 TB fusion drives, 2 gig video and 27 gigs of ram and I wouldn't use anything else.

Very fast, reliable and dependable machines. Both units have a 2TB FireWire backup drives used with Time Machine. Well worth every dollar I spent for them.

Last edited:

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
The iMac is a league of their own. It's a beautiful piece of machine, I used to own one and I loved it. Nowadays, I prefer a laptop, but if you're on the lookout for a desktop, it's worth it for sure!

evanking527

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
The iMac is a league of their own. It's a beautiful piece of machine, I used to own one and I loved it. Nowadays, I prefer a laptop, but if you're on the lookout for a desktop, it's worth it for sure!

You're right they look so elegant, the screen is what is really making me contemplate getting one. But I got the new 12.9 iPad Pro, so I get to experience a bright Retina screen with Wide Color Gamut without having to buy an iMac for it. But yeah the iMacs definitely look awesome, no matter if someone is using it or if it's off and just sitting on a desk. The screen size and pixel density is really making me contemplate getting one for photo editing

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
You're right they look so elegant, the screen is what is really making me contemplate getting one. But I got the new 12.9 iPad Pro, so I get to experience a bright Retina screen with Wide Color Gamut without having to buy an iMac for it. But yeah the iMacs definitely look awesome, no matter if someone is using it or if it's off and just sitting on a desk. The screen size and pixel density is really making me contemplate getting one for photo editing

Or you can get the new rMBP with Touch Bar to complement your new iPP

evanking527

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Or you can get the new rMBP with Touch Bar to complement your new iPP

While the Touchbar does look and work great, it’s not as enticing as the glory of a giant 5K screen. And if I got a laptop, then I’d have to get a separate screen and stuff, and LG’s 5K screen doesn’t exactly have the beauty of Apple products. It feels easier, at least for my workflow, to get a desktop, since I can get more power and RAM (and a ridiculously nice screen) for less money, and use my iPad as my portable device. With the iPad getting better at faster rates year-over-year than Macbooks, I’m going to try to jump on the iPad-as-main-computer bandwagon, with a desktop as my secondary.

I think in the end I’m just attracted to that gorgeous 5K screen!

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
While the Touchbar does look and work great, it’s not as enticing as the glory of a giant 5K screen. And if I got a laptop, then I’d have to get a separate screen and stuff, and LG’s 5K screen doesn’t exactly have the beauty of Apple products. It feels easier, at least for my workflow, to get a desktop, since I can get more power and RAM (and a ridiculously nice screen) for less money, and use my iPad as my portable device. With the iPad getting better at faster rates year-over-year than Macbooks, I’m going to try to jump on the iPad-as-main-computer bandwagon, with a desktop as my secondary.

I think in the end I’m just attracted to that gorgeous 5K screen!

That 5K display is gorgeous.
That sounds like a good plan! The iPad is a fantastic device.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Is iMac worth it? I think so. Let me explain.

I've always been a Linux user, but also use Windoze because I have to support it at work. A couple of years ago my wife got a Macbook and loved it since day one. So I've always wanted to get a Mac (don't care if it's laptop or desktop) just to use and play with. Well, over the past weekend a friend was selling her 2011 iMac 21.5 machine. i5 processor, 4 gigs ram (verified up-gradable to 16 gigs) and had either Snow Leopard or Lion on it, but also verified it could be upgraded to Sierra. So we bought it and brought it home.

So far I'm loving it. I really can't believe that a 6 year old iMac is running great and it's pretty fast. I haven't upgraded memory yet and to be honest I may not see any improvement but I'll have a total or $300 invested.

So do I think if iMac is worth it?

Oh yes!

thedonp

Banned
May 19, 2017
Visit site
Is iMac worth it? I think so. Let me explain.

I've always been a Linux user, but also use Windoze because I have to support it at work. A couple of years ago my wife got a Macbook and loved it since day one. So I've always wanted to get a Mac (don't care if it's laptop or desktop) just to use and play with. Well, over the past weekend a friend was selling her 2011 iMac 21.5 machine. i5 processor, 4 gigs ram (verified up-gradable to 16 gigs) and had either Snow Leopard or Lion on it, but also verified it could be upgraded to Sierra. So we bought it and brought it home.

So far I'm loving it. I really can't believe that a 6 year old iMac is running great and it's pretty fast. I haven't upgraded memory yet and to be honest I may not see any improvement but I'll have a total or $300 invested.

So do I think if iMac is worth it?

Oh yes!

I agree. I actually let my old MacBook Pro go because the hard drive went out and got a MacBook Air. Very lightweight and I went used but I love it. Looks brand new still.

mark-d

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
For me the simple answer is no.

I have an iPhone and iPad because I believe they are the best value for money smartphones and tablets I can get.

I have a custom built PC running Windows because it’s the best value for money PC for my needs and runs all the software I need for the variety of tasks I expect it to perform.

My internet radio is all run off PC / Windows

My mobile DJ business runs of a PC / Windows laptop too.

My iPhone and iPad sync with my PC via iCloud for photos etc and via iTunes for calendars and contacts. True I can’t get iMessage and Facebook on my computer but is that a deal breaker or do I prefer the value for money of PC based hardware and the universal nature of Windows? I reckon my computing choices answer that.

I use my PC for audio and video work a lot which for some are seen as traditional Mac strongholds. But Windows can run Photoshop, Audition, Premier Pro just as well as Mac OS. Microsoft Office is pretty much the standard that every other office suite conforms to. And my radio software doesn’t even have a Mac option.

I wonder (and I know this is an Apple based forum) how many Mac users bought a Mac because it ties in with their phone / tablet but in reality would have got better value for money investing in PC hardware instead?

thedonp

Banned
May 19, 2017
Visit site

I have an iPhone and iPad because I believe they are the best value for money smartphones and tablets I can get.

I have a custom built PC running Windows because it’s the best value for money PC for my needs and runs all the software I need for the variety of tasks I expect it to perform.

My iPhone and iPad sync with my PC via iCloud for photos etc and via iTunes for calendars and contacts. True I can’t get iMessage and Facebook on my computer but is that a deal breaker or do I prefer the value for money of PC based hardware and the universal nature of Windows? I reckon my computing choices answer that.

I use my PC for audio and video work a lot which for some are seen as traditional Mac strongholds. But Windows can run Photoshop, Audition, Premier Pro just as well as Mac OS. Microsoft Office is pretty much the standard that every other office suite conforms to. And my radio software doesn’t even have a Mac option.

I wonder (and I know this is an Apple based forum) how many Mac users bought a Mac because it ties in with their phone / tablet but in reality would have got better value for money investing in PC hardware instead?

Probably quite a few. But ever since I’ve used a MacBook I can’t go back to windows. Never found one at the same value that ran just as quick not to mention hold their value for so long. I’ve never had a windows of last as long as my Apple products.

thedonp

Banned
May 19, 2017
Visit site

Probably quite a few. But ever since I’ve used a MacBook I can’t go back to windows. Never found one at the same value that ran just as quick not to mention hold their value for so long. I’ve never had a windows of last as long as my Apple products.

evanking527

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site

That's pretty neat, right now I'm downloading songs on my computer so I can sync them to my iPad to be able to mix them in djay Pro for iPad Pro. It's really fun DJing from an iPad because people are always shocked, and I'm about to get a new controller for my iPad to step my game up

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice