Is Apple the next RIM

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I am holding off until the 2020 models
I am on the xs Max and love it. It suits my needs extremely well. I want to see the pencil be incorporated into use with the iPhone. I miss the spen but I don’t miss Samsung
I wish Apple would listen to us!

falconeight#IM

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Apple knows and understands its customers. We don’t want a brand new revolutionary phone every year. We want to feel that our phones will be relevant year to year. If they’re redesigning, that means they are trying to play catch up or justifying themselves. The best companies improve current designs. Porsche’s, Audi, bmw, Toyota, etc.

falconeight#IM

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I am holding off until the 2020 models
I am on the xs Max and love it. It suits my needs extremely well. I want to see the pencil be incorporated into use with the iPhone. I miss the spen but I don’t miss Samsung
I wish Apple would listen to us!

Sounds like you’ll cave and get one soon. :)

GokhanBas

Oct 11, 2016
Visit site
After this years keynote we are seeing three years in a row of very small updates. This reminds me of RIM with blackberry how they essentially re-released the same phone over and over again insisting that was what people wanted so that’s what they are making. Short of being invested into the ecosystem, do you ever wish iPhone would implement some of its competitors finer features? Do you think Apple will sink if they don’t keep up?

I’m already jealous of google assistant being able to field calls on the pixel. I had that feature on my work pixel and it was freaking amazing. What’s that? you’re a robot dialer have fun speaking to my robot ya punks!
Seriously Apple needs to come up with something similar or something significant next year for me to buy another. I’m already on the fence. While I’m seriously invested in the Apple ecosystem I’d hate to leave due to stagnant / underwhelming incremental phone updates.

Yeah I like the new green 11 pro max with an extra five hour battery life, but those are the only two things I like about the phone. Do I need it? No. Do I want to upgrade? I mean sort of just to get the green phone but I’m not going to be super excited for the package to drop off tracking every second of shipping like I did when the X came out. I was so pumped for FaceID.

Anyone else?

There is a lot of reasons why that isn't the case. I'll give you the top 2.

1- iPhones are not getting less updates than before, actually I would argue they're getting more. Let's see what new phones brought in every iteration:

iPhone 3G: 3G Radio
iPhone 3GS: Faster processor, video recording
iPhone 4: Retina display, Facetime camera, better camera, A4 processor
iPhone 4S: Siri, better cameras, A5 processor
iPhone 5: LTE, better cameras, A6 processor
iPhone 5s: better camera, Touch ID, motion sensor, A7 processor, M7 processor
iPhone 6: better camera, A8 processor, M8 Processor, ApplePay, Secure Element
iPhone 6s: better camera, A9 processor, M9 Processor, taptic engine, 3D Touch
iPhone 7: better camera, Portrait mode, A10 processor, new speakers
iPhone X: better camera,A 11 processor, Face ID & Depth sensing, new UI, OLED display, better speakers, HDR
iPhone XS: better camera, A12 processor, better speakers
iPhone 11: wide angle cameras front and back, better camera, better screen, A13 Processor, U1 chip

So no, iPhone is actually getting more upgrades both quantitatively and qualitatively.

The ecosystem is getting amazing upgrades as well like Apple Watch, Airpods, and others.

2- When RIM and Nokia were going down, Apple didn't have the marketshare, but they owned the mindshare. And that's when you go down: When you lose mindshare. And right now, Apple own the mindshare even more than they did in 2007. Their processors are 3 generations ahead, the ecosystem is infinite generations ahead, and every single year they top the customer satisfaction surveys.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
After this years keynote we are seeing three years in a row of very small updates. This reminds me of RIM with blackberry how they essentially re-released the same phone over and over again insisting that was what people wanted so that’s what they are making. Short of being invested into the ecosystem, do you ever wish iPhone would implement some of its competitors finer features? Do you think Apple will sink if they don’t keep up?

I’m already jealous of google assistant being able to field calls on the pixel. I had that feature on my work pixel and it was freaking amazing. What’s that? you’re a robot dialer have fun speaking to my robot ya punks!
Seriously Apple needs to come up with something similar or something significant next year for me to buy another. I’m already on the fence. While I’m seriously invested in the Apple ecosystem I’d hate to leave due to stagnant / underwhelming incremental phone updates.

Yeah I like the new green 11 pro max with an extra five hour battery life, but those are the only two things I like about the phone. Do I need it? No. Do I want to upgrade? I mean sort of just to get the green phone but I’m not going to be super excited for the package to drop off tracking every second of shipping like I did when the X came out. I was so pumped for FaceID.

Anyone else?
The thrill is gone. I used to get every iPhone on release day, but this year's just seem so meh. Why give them money if next year's devices are going to be the real upgrade? I hate Apple's 3 year major upgrade cycle. Devices get stagnant after a year. Continue to wow us.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
I always get a little amazed that some seem to think that smartphones should be completely new and revolutionary every year. We don’t expect that of cars. Automobile manufacturers make incremental changes each year and only do a total redesign maybe once (or twice?) a decade, but certainly not every year. Cell phones have become as essential as cars and as common, but some expect total overhauls every year. My theory is that we have that expectation because there was such rapid innovation in the beginning. We got used to that and it was exciting, but that ultimately slows down for obvious reasons.
I think Apple is a little like a European car manufacturer in that it is classic and makes drastic changes less often while maintaining high quality. Hence great resale value too.
Just my take. I was a long time Android gal also and have gone full Apple fan gal now I guess. :)
Cars aren't in our hands all day, every day.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
The thrill is gone. I used to get every iPhone on release day, but this year's just seem so meh. Why give them money if next year's devices are going to be the real upgrade? I hate Apple's 3 year major upgrade cycle. Devices get stagnant after a year. Continue to wow us.

What do you want them to wow you with?
There’s only so much a smartphone can do at this point. There’s no need to upgrade every year. Car dealers rip people off by the ad ones; stereo, moon roof, etc. because there’s nothing else new. The same goes for smartphones.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice