Is anyone using the what3words app?

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I tried it a few years ago and decided that it wasn't much of a help. I just read that its integration with Apple Maps is greatly improved since Apple Maps' received significant updates. So I'm trying it again. Working on a large campus, it's often difficult to direct people to my building since buildings here do not have individual addresses.

Does anyone else use this App? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't use it. I use Alertable which gives me the 3 words of my current position, in addition to emergency alerts.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I see no need for it, we already have postcodes, addresses and lat and long.
I can read a map, so what need ? just for entertainment I recently used Apple maps to talk me through a 200mile journey ending in a strange city. I ended up in the hotel car park with no trouble at all.
Why three words ?

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I see no need for it, we already have postcodes, addresses and lat and long.
I can read a map, so what need ? just for entertainment I recently used Apple maps to talk me through a 200mile journey ending in a strange city. I ended up in the hotel car park with no trouble at all.
Why three words ?

The idea is that it's easier to transmit 3 very distinct words than geographic coordinates over a low call quality phone conversation.
Also, it can be useful for situations where calling 9-9-9 / 1-1-2 / 9-1-1 is risky, as it will just sound as nonsensical words.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, I'm not sure about it. I just thought that it might be useful for Door Dash to find my building. I don't have issues with Uber Eats or Grub Hub, but Door Dash seems so inept at being able to find me.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
I saw the UK uses it. They showed it on BBC for the queue for viewing Queen Elizabeth lying in state. I had to research what was going on but it was that app.

I prefer the standard way of presenting an address. Much easier, TBH.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
Yeah, I'm not sure about it. I just thought that it might be useful for Door Dash to find my building. I don't have issues with Uber Eats or Grub Hub, but Door Dash seems so inept at being able to find me.

I once had a Door Dash driver deliver my food to a house across the street and a half a block down. Not sure how they fudged that up since my address is in big numbers right next to the front door.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
The idea is that it's easier to transmit 3 very distinct words than geographic coordinates over a low call quality phone conversation.
Also, it can be useful for situations where calling 9-9-9 / 1-1-2 / 9-1-1 is risky, as it will just sound as nonsensical words.

We text addresses, or email if you must.
W3W is irrelevant.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
We text addresses, or email if you must.
W3W is irrelevant.

It’s not possible for 1-1-2/9-9-9/9-1-1 where I live. You must call and talk.

I’ll let you imagine the situations where saying the address can be detrimental to someone’s well-being.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
It’s not possible for 1-1-2/9-9-9/9-1-1 where I live. You must call and talk.

I’ll let you imagine the situations where saying the address can be detrimental to someone’s well-being.

Nope, I don’t get it, tell me ! If it’s the emergency services you’re bothered about once you’ve contacted them they can see where you are !

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox