Is anyone having problems with Heart rate loss during exercise?

duke1231

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Is anybody having problems with losing your heart rate some time during exercise? About half way through every run or other high intensity workout, I lose my heart rate, and it does eventually come back. I was wondering if it is caused by sweat.

Dave Marsh

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Heart rate loss

Sounds like a working hypothesis. Perhaps you can test it by pausing your workout, wiping your wrist, reauthenticating when you put it back on your wrist, and letting us know.

duke1231

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

Maybe then, it the hair on my arm, or maybe I need to drop down a band size? I will first wipe my a off to see if that's it. Thanks.

RobtRoma

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site

If you think it might be the hair on your arm, try wearing the watch with the body on the inside of the wrist where there is typically less hair.

duke1231

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
That's a good tip! Before I saw this tip, I actually shaved the hair off the spot where the watch sits. It worked, never lost the HB once 😁

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
No issues here. Could be the watch is too loose. I tighten it during workouts - kind of hurts, as my wrist expands during exercise, but it grabs a solid pulse.

duke1231

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Yea, since I started running a week ago, I have lost weight and am on the last hole on the large band. Might have to put the small one on.

PrincessKick

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I've used it several times with no issues. Today I did an extra intense workout and noticed it was having trouble with reading the HR. When it came back it was in the 50s and 60s for a couple of minutes before finally going back to an appropriate rate. I don't have really any hair on my arms :) but I was really sweaty. My watch was as snug as it could be.

duke1231

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Yea, that's kind of disconcerting. Fingers crossed, since I shaved the part of my arm where the watch sits, it hasn't skipped a beat (no pun intended)

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I have a follow up to my initial report, and can now join the group of concerned owners. Today, during my P90X workout, the heart rate struggled to get a heart rate, and showed my rate in the 60s when I was clearly well into the 150s and beyond. It was during Cardio X. Seems when I moved my watch back further on my arm, and further from the end of my wrist, the heart rate jumped back. I do have arm hair - not too hairy, but normal dude hair. That concerns me. I'm certainly not going to shave that part of my arm. I'm wondering if it's sweat-related, or hair-related. Anyone else venture a guess?

Wayne Hixson

May 6, 2015
Visit site
I don't have an Apple Watch yet, but I have this problem frequently with my Mio watch, which uses similar technology. Have to really tighten the band, but I still get rapid negative spikes (from 120 to 80 for example). From what I read, the Apple Watch has similar problems but a lot less frequently. Looking forward to trying it out soon!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro