Is anyone have really inconsistent service

EKBA

May 28, 2009
Visit site
I have recently been having really inconsistent service and I am trying to figure out if it is a problem with my phone or the network. As you can see in the pictures within about 5 minutes I have 1 bar of 3G and 5 bars of 3G. I was also sitting in the same spot the whole time.

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
I would try and call AT&T and if they cannot fix it. There might be a problem with your antenna on your phone have you dropped it?

Neutrino

Banned
Jun 7, 2009
Visit site
If you shift your service to EDGE, or put the device into field test mode, you will see that your service is pretty consistent.

The signal strength bars are highly erroneous, especially on 3G. The bars will indicate you have 5 bars when in reality, you have no signal.

Field test mode replaces the bars with decibel values. There is a sliding scale where values less than -90 db equate to less than 1 bar of service. Best service is reached around -70 to -75 db. The iPhone's radio is picking up a lot of noise and scattered signals.

Here is an example link to help understand the issue. There are many others out there. Bottom line, move your phone to a different location where you see better signal strength.

ask.metafilter.com/60227/What-do-cell-phone-reception-bars-mean]What do cell phone reception bars mean? | Ask Metafilter

shawnluke

Jan 5, 2009
Visit site
I live in Centerburg, Ohio. For the past three weeks I have been having really bad service. I have called at&t and they say the tower in my area is fine.

So I went into an at&t store and they changed my sim card and still no service where I live. I usually have a full signal if not 4 bars at any given time where I live on Edge.

So I don't know what else to do. I saw Tramain posted it might be the antenna, I haven't dropped my phone either, and I have been to the apple store here twice....they won't do anything. They claim there is nothing wrong with the phone.

So unhappy right now!

Neutrino

Banned
Jun 7, 2009
Visit site
I live in Centerburg, Ohio. For the past three weeks I have been having really bad service. I have called at&t and they say the tower in my area is fine.

So I went into an at&t store and they changed my sim card and still no service where I live. I usually have a full signal if not 4 bars at any given time where I live on Edge.

So I don't know what else to do. I saw Tramain posted it might be the antenna, I haven't dropped my phone either, and I have been to the apple store here twice....they won't do anything. They claim there is nothing wrong with the phone.

So unhappy right now!

Hang tough. It's possible AT&T is performing network upgrades/taking down cell sites, shifting 3g from 1900 MHz to 850. For the last 3 months, I noticed the same problem in my office. Unable to stream because my 3g/EDGE bit rate was less than 50 kbps. The issue only affected data. Calls were fine.

Try changing locations where you use your iPhone - like outside or around town. Get a speed test app to measure network speed. Try resetting or even restoring your iPhone.

EKBA

May 28, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for everyone's help. I showed the screen shots to someone at the genius bar and they restored my phone and that didn't fix it so they replaced it.:)
Thanks again

shawnluke

Jan 5, 2009
Visit site
The guys at the genius bar replaced my phone as well, but unfortunately it didn't fix the problem. I have been on the phone today with at&t for over 2 hours trying to see what is going on.

I have a friend who has at&t here too and has had no problems with their LG Xenon and they still have 5 bars, so I am thinking that it is time to give up on my beloved iPhone and get something else:(

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2