Is anybody experiencing lag and glitches while using the Messages app?

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I searched but didn’t see anything, and I hope this is the correct place to post this. I now have an iPhone 8, but since my last iPhone I’ve noticed that every now and then my messages app gets really glitchy.

When I type, the keyboard will freeze up for a second...like a hiccup or something. The longer the message, the more often this will happen.

When it is happening, other gestures will be glitchy and delayed as well...like swiping to get back to my messages list. It’s annoying because this will actually cause typos.

I’ve restarted my phone a number of times, and it will clear it up for a while but it will always come back.

Any ideas? I have no idea why this started or why it happens.

Thanks in advance!

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Re: Messages - Lagging and Glitchy

Have you tried a hard reset of your device? Clearing all data and restoring? Have you noticed this issue since you received your phone? Did you start as new or did you restore from a backup?

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

Have you tried a hard reset of your device? Clearing all data and restoring? Have you noticed this issue since you received your phone? Did you start as new or did you restore from a backup?

It started out of nowhere with my last phone, and co tinier after I upgraded devices (I restored from backup).

I haven’t cleared and restored, but isn’t that essentially the same thing that I did with the new phone?

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

It started out of nowhere with my last phone, and co tinier after I upgraded devices (I restored from backup).

I haven’t cleared and restored, but isn’t that essentially the same thing that I did with the new phone?

If the issue started with the last phone and you restored your new device with a backup from your old phone, the issue probably carried over. I'd recommend a hard reset which will clear your device completely and start fresh with no restore of data. Your contacts should come back via iCloud and your app history is retained in the App Store.

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

If the issue started with the last phone and you restored your new device with a backup from your old phone, the issue probably carried over. I'd recommend a hard reset which will clear your device completely and start fresh with no restore of data. Your contacts should come back via iCloud and your app history is retained in the App Store.

Yea that’s what I was afraid of haha. I feel like I’ll lose so much by doing that.

Thanks for your help!

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I've had some issues, but nothing lingering. A couple of weeks ago, I was noticing that people's replies to texts I would send them would come to me above my original text, even though mine were sent first. It was weird. Doing a hard reset seemed to help, though. The keyboard also lagged a bit recently, but I use Word Flow and I think it was having brief hiccups like it does on occasion. Normally, there are no issues.

SparklyPickle

May 24, 2017
Visit site

That’s a factory reset, not a hard reset

SparklyPickle

May 24, 2017
Visit site
They are the same thing. Soft reset is powering the phone off and back on. Hard reset is doing a wipe of the device.

Powering the phone of is, well, powering the phone off!

Hard reset is forcing a reset, like with Home + Power buttons for like 10 seconds.

Factory reset is wiping the device.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Hard reset is forcing a reset, like with Home + Power buttons for like 10 seconds.

Factory reser is wiping the device.

No its not. You've just described a soft reset. Hard reset is wiping the device. Hard reset is the same as a master reset which is the same as a factory reset

https://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia/term/56745/hard-reset

What you're stating is a common misconception that has annoyed me working in the mobile device industry for a very long time lol.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I searched but didn’t see anything, and I hope this is the correct place to post this. I now have an iPhone 8, but since my last iPhone I’ve noticed that every now and then my messages app gets really glitchy.

When I type, the keyboard will freeze up for a second...like a hiccup or something. The longer the message, the more often this will happen.

When it is happening, other gestures will be glitchy and delayed as well...like swiping to get back to my messages list. It’s annoying because this will actually cause typos.

I’ve restarted my phone a number of times, and it will clear it up for a while but it will always come back.

Any ideas? I have no idea why this started or why it happens.

Thanks in advance!

Does this happen when you open the messages app and start typing on an existing thread? I ask because I've been experiencing the little lags and hiccups with the message app when I arrive to it through sharing. For example, if I use the share sheet for a photo with the photos app and choose to message it, it'll open up the message app and ask to start typing out the name of the contact. Once I do that it brings up the existing thread and that's where I start to see the small glitches. However going through the messages app is fine.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
No its not. You've just described a soft reset. Hard reset is wiping the device. Hard reset is the same as a master reset which is the same as a factory reset

What you're stating is a common misconception that has annoyed me working in the mobile device industry for a very long time lol.

On this forum, the nomenclature seems to call what Apple calls a "force restart" (see https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht201412 ) a "hard reset". I don't know why.

Personally, I would call wiping the device a "factory reset".

You can call t whatever you like, but I'd say if you are going to use nomenclature that is different from what is commonly used on this forum, you shouldn't be surprised if somebody tries to correct you, particularly because people want to make sure that others are not confused.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

On this forum, the nomenclature seems to call what Apple calls a "force restart" (see https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht201412 ) a "hard reset". I don't know why.

You can call t whatever you like, but I'd say if you are going to use nomenclature that is different from what is commonly used on this forum, you shouldn't be surprised if somebody tries to correct you, particularly because people want to make sure that others are not confused.

To avoid this misunderstanding and confusion, I simply tell people to restart their device.
To this day, even I, even after all these years on forums and such get confused when somebody says hard reset.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

I understand what the norm around the forum is. But that doesn't make it "correct" terminology. Continuing the use of terminology that is incorrect does no good for anyone. I think it's best to try and educate and correct, rather than conform because it's the "norm".

But I agree, you all can call it whatever you prefer. But I'm not changing my terminology to something that numerous technical resources verify is incorrect. Note when I recommended a "hard reset" I followed that up with "which will clear your device completely" so there is no confusion to be had.

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Does this happen when you open the messages app and start typing on an existing thread? I ask because I've been experiencing the little lags and hiccups with the message app when I arrive to it through sharing. For example, if I use the share sheet for a photo with the photos app and choose to message it, it'll open up the message app and ask to start typing out the name of the contact. Once I do that it brings up the existing thread and that's where I start to see the small glitches. However going through the messages app is fine.

It’s actually been both. I did another hard reset (or whatever we al want to call it...pressing volume up then volume down, then holding the sleep button) and this time it seemed to do the trick.

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone!! I did another reset (by pressing volume up then volume down, then holding the sleep button) and this time it seemed to do the trick.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
But I agree, you all can call it whatever you prefer. But I'm not changing my terminology to something that numerous technical resources verify is incorrect. Note when I recommended a "hard reset" I followed that up with "which will clear your device completely" so there is no confusion to be had.

If I can make another suggestion, maybe give the steps/instructions to do that as well.

(By the way, I’m not sure that pcmag.com is the definitive source for smartphone terminology. But, in my opinion, people should use the terms that Apple uses on their support site. What you call a “hard reset", and what I usually call a "factory reset", Apple calls a "factory restore". https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201252 And what others call a "hard reset" - the key combination to force an unresponsive phone to restart - Apple calls a "force restart". See https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201412 )

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
If I can make another suggestion, maybe give the steps/instructions to do that as well.

(By the way, I’m not sure that pcmag.com is the definitive source for smartphone terminology. But, in my opinion, people should use the terms that Apple uses on their support site. What you call a “hard reset", and what I usually call a "factory reset", Apple calls a "factory restore". https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201252 And what others call a "hard reset" - the key combination to force an unresponsive phone to restart - Apple calls a "force restart". See https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201412 )

I didn't recommend that he reinstalls the operating system, which is what a Factory Restore does. A factory restore and a factory reset are two different things. My understanding has always been a Factory Restore resets the device and restores the operating system. I simply recommended that he wipes all the data from his device and starts from scratch. Note that you can only do a factory restore via iTunes. A factory reset can be performed directly on the device as it ONLY wipes the data. When you go into the settings on your phone it is specifically labeled "Reset".

Either way, use whatever terminology you choose. The terminology I used, I followed up with exactly what I meant. No confusion. The OP understood it as evidenced by his response. Nor have I ever had anyone misunderstand the advice provided with the terminology used and given that I support these devices for a living, if it were an issue I'm sure I'd have no issues changing. But in my experience, I've never had an issue. But again, use whatever terms you're most comfortable with.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
Thanks everyone!! I did another reset (by pressing volume up then volume down, then holding the sleep button) and this time it seemed to do the trick.

Been having the same issue on my X as well as a few guys at work on various models. Rebooting fixes it for about 24 hours and it comes back.

My phone was setup as new since I came from android, theirs was a mix of restores and new setups. So in our case it doesnt seem to matter.

I notice it mainly when messages drops to a new line while typing.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR