Is a non-retina screen that bad?

Malek Yamout

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm planning on getting a MacBook Air but I'm stopped by the non-retina display, is it THAT bad? Is that a deal breaker? I don't need the retina screen, I'm just a student, but I'm wondering if the screen of the air is that bad, or does the Retina display just make it look not as good?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Although the retina display his awesome, it would not prevent me from buying a non-retina display model MBA. In regard to your question, "is a non-retina screen that bad?" My answer is "no, it is not".

Malek Yamout

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Although the retina display his awesome, it would not prevent me from buying a non-retina display model MBA. In regard to your question, "is a non-retina screen that bad?" My answer is "no, it is not".

Oh really? That's great because that Retina display was the one think stopping me from buying the MacBook Air, also another concern, does it have tinny speakers or are they fine?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Unless you're trying to host a dance party or something, a laptop's speakers should be more than sufficient, in my opinion. Anyway, travel to a nearby Apple Store or Best Buy store and check out the retina and non-retina models to get a feel for them as well as the speakers, and then decide for yourself....:)

Malek Yamout

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Unless you're trying to host a dance party or something, a laptop's speakers should be more than sufficient, in my opinion. Anyway, travel to a nearby Apple Store or Best Buy store and check out the retina and non-retina models to get a feel for them as well as the speakers, and then decide for yourself....:)

BTW thanks for replying to all my questions it means a lot :), sometimes your the only one and I really need answers to some of these questions so thanks a lot :)

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
I had a 2010 MBP before getting the current 2015 rMBP (both 15") and honestly I didn't take note of how much sharper is the retina display on a normal daily use as the difference is minimal. The color gamut is a little more on the retina display but in comparison, the non-retina display is still very usable.

Comparing both screen resolutions (15"), non-retina at 1440 x 900 and retina at 2880 x 1800. Theoretically it's twice more in numbers but actually 4 times more pixels. Still, by looking at them, there's not much difference as the pixels are very small on the non-retina.

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Personally I couldn't go back to non retina. I can notice the difference with the non retina being more pixelated. If the price is right, buy it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2