Is a full body iPhone 5 screen protector really necessary?

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I know "scuffgate" was blown way out of proportion. I'm hopefully picking up an iPhone 5 today and didn't know if buy a full body screen protector was necessary (I'm most likely getting the black model). I hate to beat a dead horse but I'd love everyone's input. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Some people like putting them on for many reasons. Finger prints, keeping it like new under neath. Or in some applications, better grip, if that makes sense.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Is a full body screen protector really necessary?

John, all of the points you raised make sense! Thanks for your input. Do you have an iPhone 5? I was just wondering how easy the aluminum scratches with a case on? I saw a thread on here for the Otterbox Defender. It gouged the band pretty bad.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
I don't have one myself. But I have a few that I support at this time.

As for cases, it all depends on how often the cases are being taken off. Yes the materiel is softer and will be marked more then glass.

SaberSerene

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site

If you want to keep your new fancy iPhone in pristine condition why not use full body protection?

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
i got my iphone 5 on launch day (black slate) on the 2nd week i installed a full body skin by best ever skinz (wet) highly recommend it. Gives the phone a nice smooth look. The feel of the phone is great on your hands. Skin still looks new no scratches. Also great protection with no bulk. Here are pics. You can't even tell your phone has a skin unless I tell you or you look closely.

nepumuru.jpg
u2y3ety3.jpg
y4yda9ym.jpg
remuqy8y.jpg

Last edited:

MuttX7

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
When I first got a BB Curve, I dropped it three times at work within 2 days or getting it. I bought a Body Glove hard case for it and was happy. When I upgraded to a Bold 9000, I wound up buying an Otterbox after seeing them on friends iPhones. Skip forward to when I bought my iPhone 5, I bought an Otterbox for it also. The one I had for my bold went through numerous mishaps and really saved my phone. Hopefully the one on my 5 will do so also. I really like the integrated screen protector on the Otterbox for the iPhones.

anon(3733516)

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site

I have a front screen shield, but the back is aluminum! It can survive :)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

gvndeb60

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site

I have it for grip and so I don't have to worry about scratching on the camera lens or back plate when placed on a hard surface.

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I have the black iphone 5. I opted for the full body screen protector to assist in keeping my screen clean of smudges and fingerprints. The back of the phone holds up well against scuffs and scratches but will scuff if introduced to the right environment such as keys in the pocket, laying on rough surfaces, and being dropped on concrete and asphalt. Unfortunately the sides of the phone are more susceptible to scuffs but it still isn't as bad as it seems. The otter box defender series case that I have has scratched the sides of the phone a bit during removal of the case but overall it is a durable phone if you are not clumsy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I have a case that I rarely use. That being said, I have dropped my phone twice...both times were from slipping out of my pocket. the scuffs and marks gives it a bit of character! Haha.

I do have a screen protector on the phone, but I don't really like it. I feel that some screen protectors really collect smudges more than not having on at all. I have it on because I got the scren protector for free and figured why not!

P@t

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I do a Spigen front screen and a Stickerboy matte skin for the back. I leave the sides naked.
Sometimes rock a Rearth Ringke SLIM white case when I'm feeling scared.

I like the idea of having something protecting both front & back. The side stickers, skins were always way to difficult to align and install. I never could make it look good.

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Contrary to popular opinion I actually dropped my phone when I had an ultra thin cover. :)
So after that I did not use one. I'm thinking of buying the Apple leather case. This is because whenever I hand the phone to my friends or relatives, they invariably drop it because it's too thin compared to other phones. So I got very minor scuffs. So nice grippy cover recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scallops

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
I've never used a protective film on either my iPhones (currently a 5) or iPads, and none of them are or were marked in any way.....at least on the display. I got into a habit of leaving my LHS pocket free for my iPhone - and solely my iPhone, and it remains pristine. I do take some care, but I also fully use it. As an aside, mine is housed in a Pong case, because I'm not unconvinced that electromagnetic waves close to a noggin are completely benign. As a physicist, I am aware of the science, but for me, we don't have enough long term data yet - so better safe than sorry!

fredriks

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I have Nillkin tempered glass on mine, it's awesome! Really recommend this. A little bit cheaper than Spigen glass too

Skickat fr?n Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox