Is 64gb enough for an average user on a iPhone 11?

I

iMore Question

Hi everyone,
I need some expert advice, please!

I am chomping at the bit to upgrade and get the iPhone 11 but I am torn as to which size model I should get - 64gb or 128gb?

I am currently using an 8 Plus of which I am using 29.7gb of 64gb. I have over 15000 photos (I have an 18month old niece to blame for that!). I also pay £2.49 a month for extra iCloud storage at the moment.

Will I be OK to get the iPhone 11 in 64gb? Or will it cause the handset be slower if capacity is nearly reached? I will probably be keeping it for a year to 18months. Or should I just exercise a bit of self-restraint and patience and wait until there is more stock of the 128gb on O2.

Thank you so much!

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Hello and welcome to iMore! In order to continue this conversation, you may want to consider registering for an account here on iMore. If you're interested, click here to learn how to sign up!

In regards to your question, I have been using a 64gb iPhone 8+ for 2.5 years, and have found that it's more than enough for me, and like you, I have lots of photos. The important thing to remember is to get what you can afford. That said- I will probably opt for a minimum of 128gb when I get a new iPhone later this year.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
64 is fine for me. It encourages me to install only the apps I really want and I still have a number of apps that haven’t been opened in a long while.

sinime

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
IDK, I've had my Xr with 256GB since it came out and I'm sitting at 59.4GB of 256GB. Yes, I could offload some photos / videos and could probably stream music rather than downloading it all, but I'd say go with 128GB as a minimum. Just my 2 cents

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore, 64gb has always worked for me. And seeing on your 8 plus you only used half, you should be be fine with 64.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Why if he’s only using 29gb?
I have a 128gb iPhone that is only using 28gb. A waste of extra money if you’re not going to use it.

At some point he’ll start shooting 4K videos and take pictures with Live Photos enabled.
That takes up a lot of storage.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
At some point he’ll start shooting 4K videos and take pictures with Live Photos enabled.

You don’t know that.
As I stated, I don’t and never will. I have never needed that much storage. We are all different. Why do you think they sell 64gb phones?

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site

I agree with your point. I bought a lightning port flash drive for 4K video, it was the most useful, inexpensive accessory I have bought.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
If you have been using a 64GB phone for a while, and/or have only been using that ~30GB of storage for a while then you're probably fine. I used a 64GB X for 2 years after having a 128GB 7+ but I did have to make compromises like removed a bunch of locally stored music I wasn't listening to very much (lossless rips so they took up a LOT of space) and had to be vigilant about taking off videos quickly after shooting them. I usually hovered around 44GB. Now I'm running a 256GB Pro and just looked and I'm up to 63.9GB thanks to a trip in the fall where I took some 4K 60fps videos.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone,
I need some expert advice, please!

I am chomping at the bit to upgrade and get the iPhone 11 but I am torn as to which size model I should get - 64gb or 128gb?

I am currently using an 8 Plus of which I am using 29.7gb of 64gb. I have over 15000 photos (I have an 18month old niece to blame for that!). I also pay £2.49 a month for extra iCloud storage at the moment.

Will I be OK to get the iPhone 11 in 64gb? Or will it cause the handset be slower if capacity is nearly reached? I will probably be keeping it for a year to 18months. Or should I just exercise a bit of self-restraint and patience and wait until there is more stock of the 128gb on O2.

Thank you so much!

You’re not even using half of the iPhone’s storage so 64 GB should be plenty for you, in my opinion. I had a 256 GB iPhone X, but it was a waste of money for me to get all of that extra storage when I knew I would only use a fraction of it. My iPhone 11 Pro Max has 64 GBs of device storage and I’ve only used ⅓ of it. I know I won’t use the entire 64 GBs, but I know me and my smartphone habits. You have to decide if 64 Gigs is sufficient based on your habits.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
Simple decision matrix (non-scientific):

Do you want to make lots of photos and high res videos (lots=several thousands)?
Do you want to keep all of them on your phone, always?

BOTH questions answered yes: go for as much storage as you can afford.
Only ONE or NO question answered yes: 64GB sufficient.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal