iPod touch how "kid" safe is it really?

daveybur108

Jul 22, 2016
Visit site
Hi please can nybody advise. My 10 year is desperate for an ipod touch, all his friends have etc etc.
I have looked into the ipod restcistions where you can disable safari,apps being removed etc and get a safe browswer - all sounds great until...

1)I have now read ipods can be tethered with an i phone via blue tooth internet connection, therefore would all the restrictions be bypassed?

2) I also read that ads and links within apps give a backdoor to unfiltered internet, is this correct?

3)What can i do to keep him as safe as possible? Please help

Thanks Gaz

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Here's a GREAT blog on the subject from the iMore front page...

How to use parental controls on iPhone and iPad: The ultimate guide | iMore

PS an internet search will lend a wealth of other knowledge on the subject also. :) I give you kudos for being a proactive parent and seeing to the internet safely for your child. Nothing beats monitored use also, spend time with him/her using the device together, no only will it be quality time you can teach good browsing and internet habits. :)

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Here's a GREAT blog on the subject from the iMore front page...

How to use parental controls on iPhone and iPad: The ultimate guide | iMore

PS an internet search will lend a wealth of other knowledge on the subject also. :) I give you kudos for being a proactive parent and seeing to the internet safely for your child. Nothing beats monitored use also, spend time with him/her using the device together, no only will it be quality time you can teach good browsing and internet habits. :)

If I may add to this...talk to your child about the dangers of the internet and your concerns as well. If they're old enough to get a device, they're old enough to learn about the dangers of careless use.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I lock a lot of things down via restrictions. We use family share so all app downloads come through me. My kids don't see anything on AppStore that is not age appropriate. It has been ok. My youngest (almost 9) mostly uses to listen to music and play a handful of games.

JOSH_WH1TE

Jun 7, 2014
Visit site
In response to your question about tethering- tethering is a way to share the phones data connection between other devices, meaning that the iPod could use the phones internet. This will not bypass the iPods restrictions.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
You may also want to consider blocking Facetime and messages, unless that's one of the reasons your child wants it to begin with. The restrictions are fairly robust. Make sure to set up a separate iCloud account so they aren't seeing your stuff if you choose to allow that (or even if you don't, a separate iCloud is the best bet) You can still share an iTunes account, or let them have their own and set up family sharing with a requirement that you approve all apps.

Also, if you sign up for a service like OpenDNS, you can set restrictions in your router. This will block certain types of sites, or you can block them manually as well

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73