iPhone's IMEI is still linked to previous owner

Alt1acc

Jul 28, 2019
Visit site
I bought a new iPhone X last week, only to find out a few days later that it was locked to Bell, despite what the seller had told me. I called Bell and they said that the phone’s IMEI is linked to an active account and I cannot get it unlocked without the original buyer’s permission. I have contacted the seller, but he is completely unresponsive to my calls and texts.

I just got a plan with Virgin Mobile for this phone (Virgin mobile and Bell share the same network so their sims are compatible with my locked phone), but I am worried that the IMEI of this phone can eventually prove to be a problem since it is still liked to someone else’s account. I was hoping that Virgin Mobile or Bell could transfer my IMEI from the other person’s account to my account, and I could request to unlock it after I’ve used their (Virgin Mobile) service, but I’m not sure if or how that would work. Even though I have made an account with them, the phone is still technically linked to another person’s account and is therefore not unlockable by me. Bell support also told me that I can not authorize the unlocking process since I am not the original owner of the phone. I asked them if they could contact or get in touch with the owner of the account, but they told me that it isn’t possible.

Is there a way to unlock this phone such as using a third party unlocking tool such as Mr.Sim even though the IMEI is still with a Bell account? I was thinking that I should get AppleCare+ on it, break the phone and receive a replacement one with a brand new IMEI, just to be sure that I won’t have any problems in the future but I’m not sure if it’s a good idea.

Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Your best bet is still try contacting the previous owner. If not possible, there's nothing you can do. Where did you purchase the phone?

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Unfortunately, I agree with the others. Without the original owner’s assistance, you may be out of luck. I would work on getting a refund from the seller. If that’d work, I would turn the phone into the police.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Another option may be to contact your credit card company (assuming you used a credit) since you were sold something that is possibly stolen, you might be able to file a claim.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR