iPhones and Sprint roaming = no data.

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I found out today that not all phone antennas are equal. I knew I was going to be in a roaming area and saw the "extended 1x" signal which confirmed that. Well the two of us with iPhones couldn't get any data at all so looking up any information or getting directions was going to have to happen the old fashioned way where you stop at a store and ask someone. If only I had paid attention to another person in the car who had a Galaxy 5 and was getting a 3G connection, we could have saved some time.

Just disappointed to learn that iPhones perform worse than Samsung when it comes to important things like connecting to your network or any network. I wish I could blame this on Sprint but it looks like this may be an Apple issue. At least I know now not to expect my iphone to work in roaming data areas so I won't be disappointed. Might have to get a Samsung phone now for when I travel. Not a huge deal as they make fine phones but I never thought I would have to be a two phone person because iPhones don't roam.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
There are a lot of factors at play here, so you shouldn't automatically assume that this is merely an issue with iPhones having lesser quality antennas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
36f41eff76f4dfb458de79ce1cabcec4.jpg

I happen to have it on only for voice

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I turned it on and even rebooted. No change. I did reset the PRL but not till I got back to my hotel with wifi. Won't know if that makes a difference till tomorrow because I am in a no data area for anyone.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I turned it on and even rebooted. No change. I did reset the PRL but not till I got back to my hotel with wifi. Won't know if that makes a difference till tomorrow because I am in a no data area for anyone.

You might need to enable data roaming through Sprint. You can do that by managing your services online or calling them.

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
There are a lot of factors at play here, so you shouldn't automatically assume that this is merely an issue with iPhones having lesser quality antennas.

I understand that and thought the same thing till another phone was able to connect to a data network and not just a roaming network either. I'll investigate further when I get back home. What other factors do you think may apply? I am hoping someone has an understanding of these types of issue. I sure don't.

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
You might need to enable data roaming through Sprint. You can do that by managing your services online or calling them.

I'll give that a try. Like I said the odd thing is both my and someone else's iPhone had the exact same issue.

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
On an unrelated note, I'm really impressed with the amount of activity in the sprint forum. I honestly wasn't expecting these many comments and certainly not this quick. Thank you everyone.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I understand that and thought the same thing till another phone was able to connect to a data network and not just a roaming network either. I'll investigate further when I get back home. What other factors do you think may apply? I am hoping someone has an understanding of these types of issue. I sure don't.

All of you are with Sprint?

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
On an unrelated note, I'm really impressed with the amount of activity in the sprint forum. I honestly wasn't expecting these many comments and certainly not this quick. Thank you everyone.

I personally like sprint. Is service perfect? No is it the best? No is it cheap? Yes offers unlimited data? Yes. Decent sales reps all things considered? Yes. I am saving money and get decent service in return overall and really good service in NYC.

I would choose AT&T in a heartbeat since I found that to be the best service for me between my time with all four major carriers but they are expensive so I'll stick with Sprint :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I personally like sprint. Is service perfect? No is it the best? No is it cheap? Yes offers unlimited data? Yes. Decent sales reps all things considered? Yes. I am saving money and get decent service in return overall and really good service in NYC.

I would choose AT&T in a heartbeat since I found that to be the best service for me between my time with all four major carriers but they are expensive so I'll stick with Sprint :)

I'm with you. Actually I've usually found them decent to great in many places. The issue here worries me more because I will be spending a lot of time here over the next year or so but in thinking its a phone issue over carrier. I could be wrong though.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

I was a Sprint customer for years before recently switching to Verizon. If it wasn't for the unreliable service I get in Southeast Michigan I would have never left. Considering the problems Sprint has faced ever since their terrible investment in WiMAX, my service improved dramatically over the past two or three years. Nonetheless, they never caught up to the other three carriers and I had to make the move. I just couldn't take it anymore.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I was a Sprint customer for years before recently switching to Verizon. If it wasn't for the unreliable service I get in Southeast Michigan I would have never left. Considering the problems Sprint has faced ever since their terrible investment in WiMAX, my service improved dramatically over the past two or three years. Nonetheless, they never caught up to the other three carriers and I had to make the move. I just couldn't take it anymore.

OH I know their service can be outright horrible but I am not traveling much right now atm since I'm in school and in NYC it's really good specially for the price. I was in Cleveland and outside city limits the service was decent but not great.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm with you. Actually I've usually found them decent to great in many places. The issue here worries me more because I will be spending a lot of time here over the next year or so but in thinking its a phone issue over carrier. I could be wrong though.

If it's really an issue with the iPhone and you rather save money with sprint vs going to another carrier and spending more maybe get an Android device? The new Nexus devices are cheap and after selling your iPhone could break even or close

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

A couple things came to mind:
1. Which model iPhone were you using?
2. How much battery did you have left? Were the phones plugged in or running on battery power?
3. Do you have data roaming enabled (as we've already discussed)?)
4. What version of iOS are you running?
5. Are you using a metal bumper case?
6. Have you updated your PRL and network settings?

Any or none of these things could potentially impact your service quality.

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
If it's really an issue with the iPhone and you rather save money with sprint vs going to another carrier and spending more maybe get an Android device? The new Nexus devices are cheap and after selling your iPhone could break even or close

Oh I'm not planning on leaving Sprint. I've thought about the new Nexus devices. Still would keep my iPhone. I do love the phone and it works fine in my hometown. I'd just get a Nexus or other Android phone for my trips here.

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
A couple things came to mind:
1. Which model iPhone were you using?
2. How much battery did you have left? Were the phones plugged in or running on battery power?
3. Do you have data roaming enabled (as we've already discussed)?)
4. What version of iOS are you running?
5. Are you using a metal bumper case?
6. Have you updated your PRL and network settings?

Any or none of these things could potentially impact your service quality.

1. 6s+ (both iPhone users)
2. Fully charged. They were plugged in while driving.
3. Yes
4. 9.0.2
5. No. Leather case.
6. Yes but haven't had a chance to see if that will work. I'm currently in a dead zone and it's dead for all carriers except Verizon intermittently.

Gearheadaddy

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I just switched from Verizon to Sprint because to update to the new iPhone was going to be $866.40 early upgrade payoff...should have just paid it. Now I have 2 iPhones that don't get calls, slow downloads (if at all)...Verizon please forgive us...we WILL BE BACK!

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods