iPhone X owners, you might want to read this!

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
How does the OLED screen impact things such as Waze, which could potentially be on for hours showing the same “next duration” for a significant amount of time, even though the actual map shifts.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Note the “$1400 after insurance” part of my comment. If my screen suffers burn in...you can bet your tail I’m at Apple the next day expecting something to be done. No level of responsibility will excuse them from that if it happens within the next two years of ownership.
Apple, being the great customer service company that it is will probably appease you, but they don’t have to. Granted, if you just bought the device and a week or so later you see burn-in then yes. A year or two later? No.

And the longer we excuse the sellers and fault the buyers while manipulative sales tactics take place the worse off the consumers will be. That’s not good for anyone.
I’m not doing that at all and there are no “manipulative sales tactics” involved here.

Not saying Apple is manipulative. Just that I don’t agree with the “blame the buyer” mentality. There should be a reasonable expectation placed upon those selling a product.
If I sell you a white item and then tell you that after some time, the item will turn black and you go ahead and buy it, I don’t expect you to come back to me complaining that the item has turned black, and you as the buyer should take responsibility for making the purchase while knowing the item will eventually change colors. That’s all I’m saying.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Apple, being the great customer service company that it is will probably appease you, but they don’t have to. Granted, if you just bought the device and a week or so later you see burn-in then yes. A year or two later? No.

I’m not doing that at all and there are no “manipulative sales tactics” involved here.

If I sell you a white item and then tell you that after some time, the item will turn black and you go ahead and buy it, I don’t expect you to come back to me complaining that the item has turned black, and you as the buyer should take responsibility for making the purchase while knowing the item will eventually change colors. That’s all I’m saying.

When one spends $200 on AppleCare+ on a $1200 device...there’s an obligation here to take care of an issue such as this within two years. Which is the point I was making in that initial post. Nobody should be buying from a company that believes or does otherwise. The phone should be protected from such things for at least two years. Purchasing the protection is the buyer being “responsible”.

I guess I’ve just worked with those of lesser tech experience enough to know that it’s not as simple as saying “you should have done your research”. In a perfect world that sounds great. But you’d be surprised how ignorant the average customer can be. So I look at things a bit differently and just don’t really subscribe to the “oh well, they should have done their homework” stance. Just me though.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
When one spends $200 on AppleCare+ on a $1200 device...there’s an obligation here to take care of an issue such as this within two years. Which is the point I was making in that initial post. Nobody should be buying from a company that believes or does otherwise. The phone should be protected from such things for at least two years. Purchasing the protection is the buyer being “responsible”.

I guess I’ve just worked with those of lesser tech experience enough to know that it’s not as simple as saying “you should have done your research”. In a perfect world that sounds great. But you’d be surprised how ignorant the average customer can be. So I look at things a bit differently and just don’t really subscribe to the “oh well, they should have done their homework” stance. Just me though.
But that’s just it! The average consumer’s ignorance is on themselves and to say otherwise is making excuses for them. They have in the palm of their hand the tool they need to get all the necessary information about a product before purchasing. If they choose not to view that information, is that the fault of the seller or the fault of the consumer?

Chronoman

Oct 1, 2017
Visit site
A couple of things: Consumer Reports magazine, when discussing TVs, thinks that OLED is the best technology for displays, with fantastic blacks, and better off axis imaging than LCDs. The other thing I wanted to mention is that yes, an iPhone X is not cheap, but in the tech world, the life span of many products, such as cell phones, digicams, and music players is much shorter than it was even just 20 years ago. We expect to get the latest and greatest in just a couple of years, so if there is screen deterioration, does it really matter? We'll be getting a new device before it's a real problem.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
A couple of things: Consumer Reports magazine, when discussing TVs, thinks that OLED is the best technology for displays, with fantastic blacks, and better off axis imaging than LCDs. The other thing I wanted to mention is that yes, an iPhone X is not cheap, but in the tech world, the life span of many products, such as cell phones, digicams, and music players is much shorter than it was even just 20 years ago. We expect to get the latest and greatest in just a couple of years, so if there is screen deterioration, does it really matter? We'll be getting a new device before it's a real problem.

It became a real problem for a competitor within a few weeks of release.

Chronoman

Oct 1, 2017
Visit site
Oh for sure, something like this can be blown up in the press and on social media, as it has been for the Pixel 2. I haven't seen how serious the problem is on the competition's screen, but I'm sure of two things: it's probably been blown up out of proportion to the actual seriousness of the problem; and Apple most likely have a better screen and software combination, so if there is a problem, it will be extremely minor.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
How can this potential problem impact things like navigation apps which stay on screen for long periods?

That wouldn't likely affect anything. For one, the navigation screen would not be stationary long and not high contrast. I would think using the same high contrast wallpaper might. So it might be a good idea to change wallpapers frequently. Maybe, don't know.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
That wouldn't likely affect anything. For one, the navigation screen would not be stationary long and not high contrast. I would think using the same high contrast wallpaper might. So it might be a good idea to change wallpapers frequently. Maybe, don't know.

Right, the map shifts constantly (obviously) as you're driving. But, things like next navigation point can be on screen for hours on long road trips or status bars. I've left my screen on for 11 hours driving from Miami to the Carolinas and using Waze.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Right, the map shifts constantly (obviously) as you're driving. But, things like next navigation point can be on screen for hours on long road trips or status bars. I've left my screen on for 11 hours driving from Miami to the Carolinas and using Waze.

To be clear, there are two separate "concerns," image retention and burn in. They can initially look similar, but image retention will go away after a number of hours/days, by contrast burn in is permanent.

My understanding is that for burn in to occur, you'd need the screen up longer than 11 hours -- like a day or two of it constantly being up, as a minimum. And burn in has been greatly improved on newer OLEDs, so I'm guessing it would likely take even longer.

I do believe you might have some issues with image retention after 11 hours with Waze, or another nav program. You might see the ghosting from the status bars for several hours after, but they should go away as the phone rests or you use it for other activities.

OTOH, there are other things you can do to help minimize the effects you will have. For example, typically there are settings where you can set navigation to turn the screen off between turns; or you can manually reach up and turn the display off (hit the power button). When on a long stretch of highway, there really is no reason to keep the display on; Waze should automatically turn back on to announce you next turn when you are a mile or two away. Last, if you want to keep your screen on, I believe Waze has an option to turn the backlighting off, which could also help.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
But that’s just it! The average consumer’s ignorance is on themselves and to say otherwise is making excuses for them. They have in the palm of their hand the tool they need to get all the necessary information about a product before purchasing. If they choose not to view that information, is that the fault of the seller or the fault of the consumer?

We've had 10 years of iPhone that have not had this issue, people just buy the next one. I'd bet most don't even know the display is different, they're just used to upgrading. At the rate these phones disappear from stores, I'd be surprised if 1% have any idea. Is the disclosure prominent anywhere other than a side item somewhere on Apple's website?

I doubt we'll run into any issues except in extreme cases (you know those that willingly destroy the phone by burning it in just to see what happens). Most anyone who experiences it through regular use would probably be taken care of by Apple.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
We've had 10 years of iPhone that have not had this issue,
True
people just buy the next one. I'd bet most don't even know the display is different, they're just used to upgrading.
That May also be true for a lot of people, but it still does not negate the fact that they are responsible for knowing what they are purchasing.
At the rate these phones disappear from stores, I'd be surprised if 1% have any idea.
Same as above...
Is the disclosure prominent anywhere other than a side item somewhere on Apple's website?
“prominent”? I doubt it. Readily available? Definitely! A Google search is all that is required.

I doubt we'll run into any issues except in extreme cases (you know those that willingly destroy the phone by burning it in just to see what happens). Most anyone who experiences it through regular use would probably be taken care of by Apple.
Agreed....

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Readily available? Definitely! A Google search is all that is required.
If we've been conditioned to turn the phone in each year and get the next one, what's the reason to google anything this year? I don't think it's a big deal and again certainly nothing that Apple will expect to have an issue given how long people use their phones. I don't think Apple is responsible but I have a hard time seeing most people (outside people in these types of forums which make up a small % of users) will think to look up anything about OLED.

Ziich47

May 6, 2015
Visit site
If ever there was a phone that you should get with Apple care it is this one. That way if anything happens your covered

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR