iPhone X data transfer via USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) port not working in Windows 10

jworrel

Jun 19, 2018
Visit site
Dear Community,

I recently purchased an iPhone X 256GB and have been routinely transfering photos to my Windows 10 ultrabook for additional editing in Lightroom and other applications.

I also purchased a Lightning to USB-C cable for fast charging, and was under the impression that it could be used for data transfer along with fast charging on both Mac and PC.

When I plug my iPhone X into the USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) port on my Windows 10 ultrabook, it initiates the fast charging session but does not open File Explorer or show any new devices connected for data transfer. Am I missing a required Apple USB-C driver for Windows to get this working?

This is what my Device Manager looks like when my iPhone X is plugged into a standard USB 2.0 port via Lightning to USB 2.0 cable, and how it looks plugged into a USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) port via a Lightning to USB-C cable:

Lightning to USB 2.0 cable (uses "Apple Mobile Device USB Driver"):
Untitled.png

Lightning to USB-C cable (uses native Windows 10 driver):
Untitled2.png

When plugged into a USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) port, the phone is getting power but the computer does not recognize the device for data transfers. Any advice or explanation of why using a Lightning to USB-C cable on Windows isn't working is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I will attempt to check this, I have MANY, MANY types of cords, BUT I'm not 100% sure I have lightning to USB C. I might, and if I do I will try connecting my iPhone 7 Plus to my Win 10 laptop which has a C port.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Trusted Member
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Hello there, @jworrel. Welcome to iMore.

When you get a moment, please introduce yourself here:
https://forums.imore.com/new-forums-introduce-yourself-here/

As for your issue, when you connect your iPhone to your Windows 10 machine, are you getting the trust message popup on your iPhone to allow? If you don't allow the trust then your Windows 10 machine won't see your iPhone.

Isn't there more specific drivers that need to be installed as well? Wouldn't installing iTunes install those drivers?

eldefrida

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
Visit site
yeah, install the iTunes, and your iPhone X would connect with iTunes automatically. then you can transfer any data you want via iTunes. but i don't like iTunes, it's terrible!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods