iPhone vs. Adroid (Did not have the answer...)

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Answer if you wish... nothing urgent. I was going back and forth today with a friend online (FB) who said she is getting a Samsung Galaxy S3 when it comes out June 1st. I said I went with iPhone 4 years ago and never looked back.

People started agreeing with me until someone said she switched from iPhone to Android as the Android can do EVERYTHING the iPhone does and better (not worried about the better part). The only thing I can come up with that the iPhone does that Android does not do is...

iMessage
Facetime
General combined mailbox
iCloud / iTunes

What else is there... am I missing some stuff or is Android really filling the gap??

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
iMessage-- Exclusive

Facetime- Android has video call apps

Combined mailbox-- Android has this

iCloud/iTunes-- Google cloud, Amazon cloud, Google Play Store

I am not a "Phandroid" as I have just switched to iPhone, but Android has a lot of features.

Lodingi

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
There's not much difference between the 2 platforms. The only advantages Android has over the iPhone are LTE & larger display. After that, it's iOS all the way.

Maybe the Android commenter can elaborate on the "better" comment. My guess is he or she cannot.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Droids: what flavor of the OS does it have??
iOS: OS is a lot more uniform across providers, and models of phone.

Droids: carrier mandated apps - not optional, unless rooted.
iOS: carrier apps truly optional.

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
It's not about what the iPhone does that the Samsung Galaxy S3 doesn't do, not at all.

It's how it does it.

They both have app stores, yes. One platform has only the best apps, and one platform is a pretty desolate wasteland mostly composed of useless non talent apps full of bugs and viruses, with a few notable apps sprinkled in.

I'll let you guess which is which. ;)

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Airplay, apps (some exclusive, better quality, first to get usually), ibooks, ipad (best tablet, universal apps), value, resell, customer support, more accessories, better accessories, integration of os to hardware, better quality, direct updates, Siri, better size, battery life, camera (and apps for it), etc..

Last edited:

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
iTunes, friendly, diverse, and widespread user base, comfort of having a phone that never gets old, app exclusitivity, monopolized mobile webpage formatting, universal keyboard, perfect form factor.. Oh, and customer service is 11/10..

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
There are pros and cons to both and to debate which is better is like playing tic-tac-toe....a waste of time, in my opinion. A good response is to simply say, "I hope you enjoy your new toy" and leave it at that. ;)

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
There are pros and cons to both and to debate which is better is like playing tic-tac-toe....a waste of time, in my opinion. A good response is to simply say, "I hope you enjoy your new toy" and leave it at that. ;)

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

+1. Each person has different needs as to which device of smartphone they will choose for what ever reasons. As long as it fits what they want/need/like out of it, they I say enjoy!!

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I agree with those that said "to each their own." This is a never ending debate. I love both, and wish I could have one of each. But unfortunately I'm not independently wealthy. Each platform has its Pros and Cons. I got my wife an iPhone to get rid of her Droid 3 and she ended up going back to Android with a Droid 4 and she's much happier. I would be content with either one. The main reason I'm sticking with iOS for now is that I find it to be much more reliable and user friendly on a day to day basis. The app argument is almost null and void at this point. Nearly identical apps can be found on each platform. And I've found more free apps in the Google Play store. Which is nice.

ThaKrazyOne

May 16, 2012
Visit site
I will agree with the previous post on the "to each is own" statement, but I know one things that can set aside iPhones from Android phones... Being that I work in the electronics sector, I see much more integration for iOS devices except for iPad which is still being worked on. Chargers for example, are unified for iPhone/iPod/iPod touch. Androids have the micro USB docks but all have different voltages. Mobile Audio and Video integration. iOS kills here no question. This year Android is getting a taste at the Mobile Audio/Video market, but even then is limited to the newest droid phones and even they have limitations. Home Audio/Video integration. TV's, HT systems, Sound Bars, even alarm clocks have iPod/iPhone docks for full control and charging. There are more things that can be said about iOS VS. Android, but most were already said and I added my piece to it. All I know is when my mom's contract is up I am chucking her Galaxy S out onto Interstate 5 and getting her an iPhone.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I did not intend a pro and con... just a checkbox sort of concept. I guess Siri is really the only thing the iPhone has that Android does not in some sense. Even that is questionable.

Besides the basic reasons I keep the iPhone / iPad (of course not starting iPad vs other tablets) is that the iPhone just works so well and the hardware to me is so solid. With the Android I have to pick the phone and version and I don't need or what that headache anymore.

Besides I just got another $100 iTunes card for $80 on Bestbuy and I have too much invested.

k_kjong

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I don't think there are many differences between those two in terms of "who has what". It just a matter of preference. If you are tied into Google products, then maybe Android if what you need. If you are heavily invested in Apple products, then iPhone is better for you. Still, it doesn't have to be like that, though.
But for me, if I were to buy an Android phone, it has to be a Nexus, as the OS is stock, and I don't have to be concerned with the OEM skin.

melissasraja

May 23, 2012
Visit site
Im new here but I'll throw in my opinion anyway. First I agree it's a very personal choice type of thing. I've had androids for years and have rarely been disappointed. I decided to try iPhone mostly because my husband has been nagging me to do so for a while now and I'm not real excited about the new android devices I'm seeing. We have newer androids already anyway. So we got two iPhone 4S's earlier this week. I've been happy so far but customizing is difficult. I don't want to jailbreak just yet and it seems that's the only way. Android is good with customizing. Maybe too good. iPhone so far seems faster. I have an android tablet and using it at the same time as the iPhone isn't an issue. They really are very similar. I don't know if I'll go back to an android phone. Depends what comes out and how I adjust to the iPhone. At this point I would have to tell someone you can't go wrong with either and to enjoy.

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I recently upgraded my wife's BB 9800 to the Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket and she loves it! She didn't want to go iPhone, and was looking for an android phone, so when Navi posted a while ago that he bought and loved his Skyrocket, that's the phone she fell in love with. I personally will stick with the iPhone over android or BB.

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
...I guess Siri is really the only thing the iPhone has that Android does not in some sense. Even that is questionable.

Ha! funny you mention that. I'll ask Siri a question, like "Where is Disneyland" or "Where is Legoland" and she wont have a clue and can't answer that. What? Can't find Disyneyland or LegoLand? pitiful!!!

The Siri-esk program that my wife installed on her Skyrocket often blows Siri out of the water...

jamesedward318

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I recently wrestled with this question for the better part of a month. While I have a Mac Book Pro, iMac, Apple TV and Apple Airport Extreme(which really doesn't matter) I still felt compelled to leap over to Android. Sure the camera on my RAZR MAXX is not the best but then again I didn't buy the phone for a camera. I love my iPhone 4S with a passion but the slow 3G speeds began to irk my soul. Sure the phone is light in weight and easily hid in the pocket or what not but there were some things that stood out.

1) I found myself online weekly looking at new cases for my iPhone. Any iPhone user or most I should say would agree that you would end up spending close to $100 if not more trying to find THE "perfect" case. There are so many options out there that it is insane. Everywhere from gas stations to Best Buy to online, there are a plethora of case options. Here are a few reasons why I chose Android over Apple this go around:

2) The slow 3G speeds. While this is only an issue for Verizon customers it still bothered me. A few friends and myself went out a few weeks ago and while we were out someone made mention of a getaway resort. Everyone instantly started looking up places. The ones that had 4G LTE devices had search results in no time. While those of us that had iPhone were still loading. Sad sad turn of events.

3) Screen size. To most the screen size isn't an issue but for this guy it was. After playing with my buddy's RAZR MAXX, I fell in love with the screen size. Now while I am at the gym and put in an hour on the treadmill, I can watch two whole episodes of Family Guy on Netflix without buffering not to mention in a nice size display as well.

4) Battery life. My 4S would probably get my thru maybe 1/3 of my day with app use, texting, web browsing and streaming. However my MAXX can get my thru at least two whole days with the same actions being used.

5) Lastly 4G. This is to piggy back off of point number 2. I love the 4G LTE. The speeds are sick. I strongly detest that AT&T has that misleading "4G" icon next the AT&T logo. Anyway these are my reasons for choosing Android. This is not to say I won't return to Apple here soon.

fantom555

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
i have both iPhone 4s and droid razr maxx both on verizon let me say i love the droid and 4G but i am a heavy email and text user and i spend a lot of time driving. after going back and forth for some time the iPhone is just easy to use less buggy and siri is better then any droid app for ease of use. if i was not such a big business user i would stay with the droid just for the fact i can make custom screens. u have to play with both and it all depends on the use of the device i thought i would miss the 4G LTE but i don't since my office and home have wifi. also 1 pig plus is apples restore process when u need to change or update the phone its the best droid lacks in this area by far. i used love to play and change up now i just love the ease of use of the iPhone. The razr is in my draw for more then a month now and i don't miss it that much. i hope this helps. to me its all about reliability and ease of use.

0pusX

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
IMO the iPhone wins out simply due to the iTunes integration. I love it!!

I used Google Music and while it works, I didn't like the UI as much as I do iTunes.

Oh and after recently playing with a Nexus, Razr and Razr Maxx.... I am totally spoiled on the iPhone screen and camera.

jkeitz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
A number of people have noted the "customer service," and I am curious how you have come across customer service? I have had several smartphones before (primarily the Palm series, including the Pre) and I have had excellent customer service every time with Sprint, but I've never come across Apple customer service because, well, frankly nothing ever goes wrong. I'm not being sarcastic here, they could have the best customer service in the world, but with the hardware and OS they use, most people would never know it!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro