iPhone users will pay more for Twitter Blue thanks to Apple

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
The article doesn’t make much sense. With Apples thirty percent cut, Twitter blue on ios would be around 9 dollars not 11.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
“it plans to change the pricing of its Twitter Blue subscription product to $7 if users pay for it through the web and $11 if they do so through its app for iPhones”.

Basic math:
A 30% “premium” would mean 7*1.3=$9.10 blue check cost + App Store premium.
A 57% premium would mean 7*1.57=11$ blue check cost + App Store premium + Ultra premium.

Basic playing with Media math:
Elon Musk speak with purposeful if not comical intent + Media eat it up getting lots of clicks = eeeeeveryone wins! (Shhh, don’t let the secret out that the blue check will cost the same).

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Seems like another example of the really poor writing and content that's come on or into the non-forum aspects of this site. Maybe I missed a management or ownership change???

The Apple and Microsoft stores deliver an overall package of vetted, secure and convenient purchasing. Other choices exist for those who do not like that.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Twitter Blue isn't going to cost me anything extra because of Apple... because I have no interest in signing up for it!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
“it plans to change the pricing of its Twitter Blue subscription product to $7 if users pay for it through the web and $11 if they do so through its app for iPhones”.

Basic math:
A 30% “premium” would mean 7*1.3=$9.10 blue check cost + App Store premium.
A 57% premium would mean 7*1.57=11$ blue check cost + App Store premium + Ultra premium.

Basic playing with Media math:
Elon Musk speak with purposeful if not comical intent + Media eat it up getting lots of clicks = eeeeeveryone wins! (Shhh, don’t let the secret out that the blue check will cost the same).

$7 on the web is definitely lower cost than $11 in the app for users. No sure how that's the same. And Elon doesn't say the $11 only reflects the 30%.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
No, thanks to Twitter. Twitter is responsible for the prices it charges. What I do is install the twitter web app and not use the App Store app.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
$7 on the web is definitely lower cost than $11 in the app for users. No sure how that's the same. And Elon doesn't say the $11 only reflects the 30%.

Understood. I was just trying to breakdown the absurdity of the Musk claim. I completely believe Musk is treating media like they are a cat and he is dragging around catnip at the end of string.
Regarding the App Store, I think Apple provides the medium at huge cost, so it is reasonable for their 30% year one and 15% year two and beyond(I believe that is the rate for the big players). But where Apple will have to give in IMHO is in-app hyperlinks to alternate website payment. I've been doing it for multiple years with Kindle on IpadOS but instead of the hyperlink I type in the book title in Amazon.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Understood. I was just trying to breakdown the absurdity of the Musk claim. I completely believe Musk is treating media like they are a cat and he is dragging around catnip at the end of string.
Regarding the App Store, I think Apple provides the medium at huge cost, so it is reasonable for their 30% year one and 15% year two and beyond(I believe that is the rate for the big players). But where Apple will have to give in IMHO is in-app hyperlinks to alternate website payment. I've been doing it for multiple years with Kindle on IpadOS but instead of the hyperlink I type in the book title in Amazon.

I also think his figures were based on the original $8, rather than $7.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

Love this analogy!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods