iPhone Upgrade Program Changes

matt_j_s

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Hey all,

Does anyone there have a good understanding of the changes Apple recently announced to the upgrade program?

I use to buy each one up front rather than take the contract subsidy, which I know is somewhat dumb but I hate the carriers. when the 6s came out I jumped in primarily b/c the program, at that time, worked effectively just as an interest free loan with citizens bank. The real kicker was that you could upgrade again after only 10 months where the remainder of the "loan" was fully forgiven upon trade-in. This was a sweet deal because it certainly reduced the monthly amortized cost if you're the type that wants the newest phone each year.

My limited understanding is that with the changes just recently announced, this program becomes carrier-based again, which probably means a bunch of hidden changes that hard to fully understand. Rene et al, would really appreciate if this got a little time on one of the podcasts next week. Or, if anyone here in the forums has a clue, I'd certainly take any thoughts or comments.

Thanks folks

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
From Apple:

When you buy iPhone with the iPhone Upgrade Program, you aren’t tied to a single carrier and a multiyear service contract. And you don’t have to pay any carrier early upgrade fees. So you can choose the carrier that’s right for you. Once your new iPhone is activated, it remains unlocked, which means you can use it with any carrier that provides service for iPhone.

After 12 payments, you can get a new iPhone and start a new iPhone Upgrade Program. No more waiting for your carrier contract to end. Just upgrade your current iPhone to a new one, and your new program begins.

Source: [/FONT][/COLOR]http://www.apple.com/shop/iphone/iphone-upgrade-program

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hey all,

Does anyone there have a good understanding of the changes Apple recently announced to the upgrade program?

I use to buy each one up front rather than take the contract subsidy, which I know is somewhat dumb but I hate the carriers. when the 6s came out I jumped in primarily b/c the program, at that time, worked effectively just as an interest free loan with citizens bank. The real kicker was that you could upgrade again after only 10 months where the remainder of the "loan" was fully forgiven upon trade-in. This was a sweet deal because it certainly reduced the monthly amortized cost if you're the type that wants the newest phone each year.

My limited understanding is that with the changes just recently announced, this program becomes carrier-based again, which probably means a bunch of hidden changes that hard to fully understand. Rene et al, would really appreciate if this got a little time on one of the podcasts next week. Or, if anyone here in the forums has a clue, I'd certainly take any thoughts or comments.

Thanks folks

You're referring to Apple's "Trade Up With Installments" program, which is being shifted to carrier financing. The iPhone Upgrade Program isn't changing.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
That's what I thought, I am planning to use Apple's program when I upgrade to the new iPhone in the fall.

It's a great option IMO, especially if you normally purchase AppleCare+. If you're an annual upgrader it's especially attractive because, since the cost of the AppleCare+ plan is amortized over two years, you're only incurring half of the cost when you trade in after a year.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh