iPhone restore as new questions

iVenom

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
I want to restore as new to get the 3.2g of other off my phone can I do this and get all my saved data from my games back? I'm not having major issues or bad battery life but I have carried my files all the way for my iPhone 3GS and figured it can't hurt. Rene says he restore to new all the time but does that mean you just lose all your app data? My angry birds files are not all the important but I use password keeper and a fuel logger and thing like that where I want to keep my data so any help would be great. Thanks

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I want to restore as new to get the 3.2g of other off my phone can I do this and get all my saved data from my games back?
you will more than likely lose your saved game data.
I'm not having major issues or bad battery life but I have carried my files all the way for my iPhone 3GS and figured it can't hurt. Rene says he restore to new all the time but does that mean you just lose all your app data?
That depends on the app. For instance, Evernote, Dropbox, etcetera all save your data online. Password apps like DataVault allows you to save your data on the device, online via Dropbox and iCloud as well as to a computer.
My angry birds files are not all the important but I use password keeper and a fuel logger and thing like that where I want to keep my data so any help would be great. Thanks
I'm sure the password keeper app has a setting that will allow you to save your data to a computer or at least on the cloud somewhere. As for fuel logger, I don't know anything about that app so I recommend that you comb through its options/preferences for an ability to save to the cloud or to a computer. Now having said all of that, iTunes will back up the following:

Contacts* and Contact Favorites (regularly sync contacts to a computer or cloud service such as iCloud to back them up).
App Store Application data including in-app purchases (except the Application itself, its tmp and Caches folder).
Application settings, preferences, and data, including documents.
Autofill for webpages.
CalDAV and subscribed calendar accounts.
Calendar accounts.
Calendar events.
Call history.
Camera Roll (Photos, screenshots, images saved, and videos taken. Videos greater than 2 GB are backed up with iOS 4.0 and later.)
Note: For devices without a camera, Camera Roll is called Saved Photos.
Game Center account.
Home screen arrangement.
In-app purchases.
Keychain (this includes email account passwords, Wi-Fi passwords, and passwords you enter into websites and some other applications. If you encrypt the backup with iOS 4 and later, you can transfer the keychain information to the new device. With an unencrypted backup, you can restore the keychain only to the same iOS device. If you are restoring to a new device with an unencrypted backup, you will need to enter these passwords again.)
List of External Sync Sources (Mobile Me, Exchange ActiveSync).
Location service preferences for apps and websites you have allowed to use your location.
Mail accounts (mail messages are not backed up).
Managed Configurations/Profiles. When restoring a backup to a different device, all settings related to the configuration profiles will not be restored (accounts, restrictions, or anything else that can be specified through a configuration profile). Note that accounts and settings that are not associated with a configuration profile will still be restored.
Map bookmarks, recent searches, and the current location displayed in Maps.
Microsoft Exchange account configurations.
Network settings (saved Wi-Fi hotspots, VPN settings, network preferences).
Nike + iPod saved workouts and settings.
Notes.
Offline web application cache/database.
Paired Bluetooth devices (which can only be used if restored to the same phone that did the backup).
Safari bookmarks, cookies, history, offline data, and currently open pages.
Saved suggestion corrections (these are saved automatically as you reject suggested corrections).
Messages (iMessage and carrier SMS or MMS pictures and videos).
Trusted hosts that have certificates that cannot be verified.
Voice memos.
Voicemail token. (This is not the voicemail password, but is used for validation when connecting. This is only restored to a phone with the same phone number on the SIM card).
Wallpapers.
Web clips.
YouTube bookmarks and history.
* Your contacts are part of the backup to preserve recent calls and favorites lists. Back up your contacts to a supported personal information manager (PIM), iCloud, or another cloud-based service to avoid any potential contact data loss.

Last edited:

iVenom

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for the info. Looks like I will just stay put for now but I know what will stay when I set up my new phone when I get one.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
Had to restore my iPhone 4S as new yesterday.
I'm almost finished but can't figure out how to get my camera roll back from iCloud.
I don't sync with iTunes so i don't think that is the way to go.
Can I restore OTA via wifi and get my camera roll back?
Can't figure it out.
TIA

Edmilan

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
does iTunes backup store jailbreak data? like if i backup a jailbroken device then restore it to remove the jailbreak, then use the previous backup with the jailbroken phone to do the restore, will any jailbreak data come back?

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
Had to restore my iPhone 4S as new yesterday.
I'm almost finished but can't figure out how to get my camera roll back from iCloud.
I don't sync with iTunes so i don't think that is the way to go.
Can I restore OTA via wifi and get my camera roll back?
Can't figure it out.
TIA

Anyone? Anyone?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Anyone? Anyone?

Once you enable photo stream and are connected to Wi-Fi, your photos *should* download to your device. It did for me, but it's been awhile. Alternatively, you will have to sync with iTunes to restore the photos, if they've ever been synced that way or restore from an iCloud backup.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
Once you enable photo stream and are connected to Wi-Fi, your photos *should* download to your device. It did for me, but it's been awhile. Alternatively, you will have to sync with iTunes to restore the photos, if they've ever been synced that way or restore from an iCloud backup.

JMD,

Just to be clear:
I sync camera roll to iCloud OTA/Wi-Fi. (Never attached my iPhone to iTunes)
I know the photos are in iCloud because the storage data reflect that.

So I need to restore my camera roll or Photo Stream from iCloud OTA/Wi-Fi.
This is the only thing missing after restoring my phone as new.

Somehow 13 of my photos were restore to my Photo Stream but that's it.

Any help would be appreciated.
TIA

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
Thought I'd provide an update on my Cameral Roll disappearing after Restoring my iPhone 4S as new.
My camera roll is gone, not in iCloud (mistakenly thought storage data confirmed it)
No Photo Stream either.
So beware. I don't know what happened.

Solution: I use the PhotoSync app to load up photos from my iPhone to my laptop through Wi-Fi.
So I used the app to sync my iPad camera roll to my iPhone. (Never did that before)
Happy Camper. But still don't know why I lost it to begin with.

Also PhotoSync will load photos to Picasa as well.

Good Luck

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thought I'd provide an update on my Cameral Roll disappearing after Restoring my iPhone 4S as new.
My camera roll is gone, not in iCloud (mistakenly thought storage data confirmed it)
No Photo Stream either.
So beware. I don't know what happened.

Solution: I use the PhotoSync app to load up photos from my iPhone to my laptop through Wi-Fi.
So I used the app to sync my iPad camera roll to my iPhone. (Never did that before)
Happy Camper. But still don't know why I lost it to begin with.

Also PhotoSync will load photos to Picasa as well.

Good Luck

Thanks for the update, my friend. I'm hoping that Apple will soon allow us to manipulate photos via the iCloud website instead it being a temporary hold for syncing purposes. Do you have an iPad with photo stream enabled and with Photos in its photo stream? If you do, those photos *should* have synced to your iPhone. Still, with Apple appearing to alter things in regard to iCloud, iOS, OS X as well as initiate big fixes, it's hard to know when things will be as smoothly as should be for everyone.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
Thanks for the update, my friend. I'm hoping that Apple will soon allow us to manipulate photos via the iCloud website instead it being a temporary hold for syncing purposes. Do you have an iPad with photo stream enabled and with Photos in its photo stream? If you do, those photos *should* have synced to your iPhone. Still, with Apple appearing to alter things in regard to iCloud, iOS, OS X as well as initiate big fixes, it's hard to know when things will be as smoothly as should be for everyone.

JMD,
Yes Photo Stream has always been enabled on both my iPad2 and my iPhone 4S.
Good Luck

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
great effort of the writer it has internely and externly power of explanation of the typical pionts.

Dude, what the heck! This is like your third reply in as many forums and none of them make any sense.

Just Me, D

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox