iPhone Noob - Android Convert - Mobile Hot Spot Options?

d1c1ple

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

Just converted over after using a few Android handsets for a few years. Want to try the apple ecosystem out for the next few years :)

Mobile Hot Spot on my HTC thunderbolt - had options for # of devices allowed as well as MAC filtering (allow/disallow list)

I don't see anything similar on the iPhone 5/iOS6 on VZW? Do these options really not exist???

Thanks for any responses in advance :)

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Yes they exist but not for unlimited data anymore. You'd have to switch to a tiered plan to get hotspot tethering. Or you can wait until jailbreak is released and get an app that has a 1 time cost but will be free after that.

d1c1ple

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm still in grandfathered Unlimited plan - I bought my phone retail; not subsidized - don't see any advanced options for controlling access to the MHS; just uses the device name and allows for setting the password - no filtering by mac, etc. unless i'm looking in the wrong spot

d1c1ple

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
I already pay for the MHS option $30 a month for Unlimited - as part of my existing plan - just looking for advanced options - which may not exist...

Keldog

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
If i'm not wrong, there is a wireless tethering option if you jailbreak you phone. I'd recommend checking out the Jailbreak Forum on this site.

zrxoa1

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
A buddy of mine used his iPhone with a carrier paid mobile hotspot feature. He didn't like it either. He was unable to do what he wanted. He ended up jailbreaking and getting PDAnet and is much happier. Both my iPhone 4's are jailbroken and running pdanet and I think it is great.

I'm afraid you will probably just have to wait for a jailbreak to get an app that will make you happy.

d1c1ple

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
aside from the lack of options - it's quite horrible - barely shows up in the wifi pick list on my MBP - frustrating experience so far

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox