iPhone location tracking controversy costs Google $392 million

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
And that’s why I avoid google search and google apps.

I cleared out remnants of Google a while back too. Their maps are good (their search engine is good too) but Apple Maps became good too. With Maps, Safari, DDG, there is no need for a Google app on your iPhone anymore.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
>>>Verge reports that the settlement also means that Google must now alert users when location tracking is enabled while also making it clear how people can disable the feature from next year.<<<

This is a partial win for Google. Provided location tracking is enabled by a fluffy pop up, they’ll get most user’s location information. IME most people see ‘allow location tracking’ and think ‘sure, why not’. Most users think within the analog world. A car following them around to locations is scary, understandably so. Countless computers in a number of countries recording your movements with 24/7 precision is thought of as very much ‘out of sight, out of mind’.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I cleared out remnants of Google a while back too. Their maps are good (their search engine is good too) but Apple Maps became good too. With Maps, Safari, DDG, there is no need for a Google app on your iPhone anymore.

I did the same.

The only Alphabet/Google app that I am really having trouble getting rid of is YouTube. All the creators I follow publish their videos there, so I’m kind of stuck.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I did the same.

The only Alphabet/Google app that I am really having trouble getting rid of is YouTube. All the creators I follow publish their videos there, so I’m kind of stuck.

I too cannot see that there is a decent alternative to YT.
DDG is good but I’m still running Safari ‘cos it’s more better !

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
I did the same.

Excellent point. I watch some tech channels. YT is currently very hard to beat. Vimeo, Rumble, they are just not even close. Maybe one day (long shot) but not currently. But I watch YT in a Safari Tab. Not as good as the app but good enough.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I’d like to know how much money Google generates by sharing user data with other companies and government entities. I’m sure it’s more than what they amount paid out in the article.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
No idea about that breakdown. But ads are about 80% of googles revenue and almost 95% of their profit

341c2f4eda21f2147e74e4f7edf30e5d.jpg