• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

iPhone Keeps switching to 5GHz

SkydiverTilt

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I can’t update my Apple Watch Software because somewhere along the line my iPhone thinks it’s a dandy idea to switch from my 2.5GHZ network back to my 5GHz network...and then of course my watch can’t be found and kills the whole process.

Any ideas on how to tell the iPhone to STOP being so “helpful”.

etad putta

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I have never had this type of issue before, however, maybe you could go into the routers settings and disable the 5ghz band until the updates
are done and then turn them back on.

Mars20

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site
The long way round, assuming you have a dual band router, would be to go to the Router settings and split the two bands - naming one 5 GHz. Then you can select the 2.4 GHz band when you join the phone to the WiFi.

SkydiverTilt

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
The long way round, assuming you have a dual band router, would be to go to the Router settings and split the two bands - naming one 5 GHz. Then you can select the 2.4 GHz band when you join the phone to the WiFi.

They are separate, and I go to the WiFi and select the 2.4 but the phone sees the 5 and auto switches over thinking it’s more efficient.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
They are separate, and I go to the WiFi and select the 2.4 but the phone sees the 5 and auto switches over thinking it’s more efficient.

Find the 5GHz WiFi on your iPhone, tap the (i) next to it and disable auto-join.
But that shouldn’t have to matter.
No matter what connection your iPhone is on, the Apple Watch will use the iPhones connection to the internet.

Mars20

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site

Whilst you are trying to update the watch, could you get further away from the router so as to force the phone over to the 2.4 band?

SkydiverTilt

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Find the 5GHz WiFi on your iPhone, tap the (i) next to it and disable auto-join.
But that shouldn’t have to matter.
No matter what connection your iPhone is on, the Apple Watch will use the iPhones connection to the internet.

Unfortunately that doesn’t work...it’s the same signal so you can’t lose one without the other.

SkydiverTilt

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Whilst you are trying to update the watch, could you get further away from the router so as to force the phone over to the 2.4 band?

That might work...I was getting closer so the strength was high and the iPhone wouldn’t kick over .... didn’t think of getting out of the range of the 5GHz

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Another approach is to name both the same.

That way, both devices will be seeing the same network and will assume they can talk to each other.

My understanding is that the Apple Watch will use WiFi to update.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
There is something fundamentally wrong. My iPhone uses my 5Ghz router band and has no problem connecting to my watch.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Evans Brenna