iPhone going to France

mentana102

May 12, 2009
Visit site
In July I'm planning a trip to France and I want to bring my iPhone with me.
Ok I know I can use it on any wifi network, that's no problem and in Paris it's pretty well covered. What I would like is to use it has a phone in only that capacity. Only call's in the imediate area cause I know doing international call's will be crasy money wise.
Can I buy a prepaid card or take one from an other phone ( I've got famely there ) and use it. Or is there some other way, like Skype.

Thanks

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Last summer, my daughter turned her iPhone off before boarding our flight to Paris, and didn't turn it on again until we arrived home. (She didn't want to risk voicemail!)

If you can get it unlocked to use with another sim card, that is no problem. If you get WiFi where you'll be - we had free WiFi at our hotel in Bercy - you can certainly use Skype fairly effectively.

To be honest, when traveling internationally, I find I can go a week or two without making a phone call at all.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
You won't be able to buy a pre-paid card if your iPhone is locked. You can add AT&T world traveler which gets you much cheaper international rates for like $5/month and you can remove it when you get back. Or just keep it in airplane mode until you are at a WiFi hot spot. Make sure to durn data roaming OFF.

sil3ntrid3r11

Feb 20, 2009
www.youtube.com
My girlfriend is doing the same thing next year and plans to spend the whole year! So we were thinking of unlocking it and finding a good carrier over there... But i think skype is the best alternative, plus its free so.. Oh and you can have it in airplane mode and still have wifi on.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
You can receive Skype to Skype calls. You can receive landline calls if you have a paid Skype account with a Skype phone number.

FON is not a solution for an American traveling to Europe.