iPhone G5 wish list. Wudaya mean it's too soon?

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
1...Available in Canada first.

2...Forget this careful, efficient memory 'sipping' version of multi tasking.
Take all the specs and pimp them out. I want all the other amartphones to stand around the iPhone chanting 'CHUG-A-LUG, CHUG-A-LUG, CHUG-A-LUG!

Why should we be the designated drivers of multi-tasking?

I know what you're thinking. What about the five pound battery we'd need to carry around to power this memory sucking pig of a cell phone?
No problem. Apple will have a new line of accessories to make money with.

Introducing... The iSack !
Buy two, that way if your sack runs out of juice, you're covered.
Or you could borrow a friends.

So, what would everyone else like to see in iPhone G5?

Last edited:

suitebliss

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Definitely a bigger screen, widgets and a notification system. All of the things I envy about the HTC Evo. The devil is slowly pulling me away. As one who wishes for a white iPhone 4 - I don't know when I'll have my day anyway. I might as well wait for the iPhone G5, LOL! I'll probably die a slow dealth. :mad:

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
1...Available in Canada first.

2...Forget this careful, efficient memory 'sipping' version of multi tasking.
Take all the specs and pimp them out. I want all the other amartphones to stand around the iPhone chanting 'CHUG-A-LUG, CHUG-A-LUG, CHUG-A-LUG!

Why should we be the designated drivers of multi-tasking?

I know what you're thinking. What about the five pound battery we'd need to carry around to power this memory sucking pig of a cell phone?
No problem. Apple will have a new line of accessories to make money with.

Introducing... The iSack !
Buy two, that way if your sack runs out of juice, you're covered.
Or you could borrow a friends.

So, what would everyone else like to see in iPhone G5?

Trust me, once you use iOS4 multitasking, there is no difference between that and the multitasking offered by other smartphones to the user. Third party apps that are optimized resume as if they were running the whole time. Tasks (like uploading, saving, etc.) finish in the background. The only thing the user will notice is that multitasking isn't killing their RAM and battery, which is a good thing.

"if your sack runs out of juice"..... Do I really need to be the one to make a joke out of this? haha..

My wishlist would be:

1. Perfected notifications (if it doesn't come in September via iOS 4.1 for iPad and iPhone, which I really think it will). I fully expect these to be even better than what is offered on webOS and Android.

2. Widgets. At the very least I want the weather icon and clock icon to be alive. Why would you put a static, false representation of the weather, and a static clock as weather and clock icons?? At this point the weather icon especially is a complete fail.

Expanded widgets would also be really nice. See my thread with mockups:
http://forum.tipb.com/iphone-forum/190520-iphone-widget-mockups.html

3. Theming. No, not your lame jailbreak themes with stupid replacement icons and ship. Real themes, themes which really change the behaviour of the OS while still being slick as hell and smooth as butter. Heavily policed theming, all themes would need to be tested for absolute fluidity and quality.

4. 64GB. Pretty sure this will come next year. I don't know why everyone expected it this year, Look at the upgrades in the past, iPhone and iPhone 3G topped out at 16GB. iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 top out at 32GB. iPhone 5 and iPhone 6 will top out at 64GB. Don't even ask for 128GB, it's too expensive for mass production and will be for a while.

5. LTE. It is upon us, believe it or not. I fully believe AT&T is going to bring out an (albeit weak) LTE network (no weaker than Sprint's WiMax, which isn't even as fast as HSPA 3G). I happen to know for a fact that Telus and Bell in Canada have been constructing an LTE network since they completed their HSPA network, so they'll be ready in early 2010 for testing, summer 2010 for launch most likely. Rogers is no slouch either, I suspect they've been working on LTE even longer than Bell and Telus.

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I was kinda bummed when I found out the 4 couldn't microwave a Hot Pocket. What's a man gotta do to get a meal around here? :eek:

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
1. The EVO screen is too big, but not by much. I debate between 3.8 or 4.0 inches but somewhere around there.

2. Notifications. I know they are working on it, especially since they hired that Palm guy.

3. LTE

4. Unlocked in the US

There are other things, but these are at the top my head.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
ghostface147
Honestly, I'm sitting here using my iPhone 3GS, and is it just me or is the screen already big enough??? Apple doesn't feel the need to have the "mine is bigger" fight that all of the other manufacturers are having, and that just shows that they are secure with their product and quality and software trump size and a spec sheet.

If it were any larger I wouldn't be able to use it with one hand, and that would be a big problem in my eyes.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
ghostface147
Honestly, I'm sitting here using my iPhone 3GS, and is it just me or is the screen already big enough??? Apple doesn't feel the need to have the "mine is bigger" fight that all of the other manufacturers are having, and that just shows that they are secure with their product and quality and software trump size and a spec sheet.

If it were any larger I wouldn't be able to use it with one hand, and that would be a big problem in my eyes.

I guess I just have bigger hands which handles one handed a bigger......well......nevermind. It's just a tiny bit bigger than 3.5 and I think it does make a slight difference because the resolutions are getting finer and finer on a small. I agree the EVO is too big however.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I guess I just have bigger hands which handles one handed a bigger......well......nevermind. It's just a tiny bit bigger than 3.5 and I think it does make a slight difference because the resolutions are getting finer and finer on a small. I agree the EVO is too big however.

Yeah, the thing is though the iPhone is a one-size-fits-all device, not a "men with large hands will be able to use this" device. I have average sized hands, definitely larger than most women and larger than most guys my age, and my thumb reaches just perfectly to the ends of the screen. Sometimes I have to slightly reposition my thumb to reach the home button. So, I feel like if the screen was any larger it would become annoying for most consumers.

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Definitely a bigger screen, widgets and a notification system. All of the things I envy about the HTC Evo.

I definitely would love a bigger screen. I'm jealous of my wife's 3.7" droid screen but I doubt apple will do it since that means fragmentation of their apps for the 2 different screen sizes. I don't think it's a coincidence that the iPhone 4 was exactly 4 times the pixels so it will be easier for existing apps to look fine on the new screen

Also widgets and a better notification system would seal the deal. Well that and a Verizon version.;)

Last edited:

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I definitely would love a bigger screen. I'm jealous of my wife's 3.7" droid screen but I doubt apple will do it since that means fragmentation of their apps for the 2 different screen sizes. I don't think it's a coincidence that the iPhone 4 was exactly 4 times the pixels so it will be easier for existing apps to look fine on the new screen

Also widgets and a better notification system would seal the deal. Well that and a Verizon version.;)

Exactly. Despite some of their actions more in favour of consumers, Apple does care about their developers, and they don't want developers to have to make apps for many different resolutions, so the new resolution needed to have the exact same proportion as the old resolution. They also kept the screen the same size so 320x480 apps will look just as good as before.

suitebliss

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
1. The EVO screen is too big, but not by much. I debate between 3.8 or 4.0 inches but somewhere around there.

2. Notifications. I know they are working on it, especially since they hired that Palm guy.

3. LTE

4. Unlocked in the US

There are other things, but these are at the top my head.

Although, I'm all for a bigger screen - I agree the Evo is too damn big. My hands started hurting from holding it when I was toying aroung with my co-workers phone.

I think Jellotime had a thread with a mockup of a "bigger" screen and it was the perfect size.

cajunrph

Sep 29, 2009
Visit site
I'd like to see better notifications. Something not so in your face as it is now. May be the Palm guy can do something for them. WebOS has the best notifications IMHO.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I'd like to see better notifications. Something not so in your face as it is now. May be the Palm guy can do something for them. WebOS has the best notifications IMHO.

Yes, it does. But I think Apple putting their heads together with him will create something even better.

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Trust me, once you use iOS4 multitasking, there is no difference between that and the multitasking offered by other smartphones to the user. Third party apps that are optimized resume as if they were running the whole time. Tasks (like uploading, saving, etc.) finish in the background. The only thing the user will notice is that multitasking isn't killing their RAM and battery, which is a good thing.

"if your sack runs out of juice"..... Do I really need to be the one to make a joke out of this? haha..

My wishlist would be:

1. Perfected notifications (if it doesn't come in September via iOS 4.1 for iPad and iPhone, which I really think it will). I fully expect these to be even better than what is offered on webOS and Android.

2. Widgets. At the very least I want the weather icon and clock icon to be alive. Why would you put a static, false representation of the weather, and a static clock as weather and clock icons?? At this point the weather icon especially is a complete fail.

Expanded widgets would also be really nice. See my thread with mockups:
http://forum.tipb.com/iphone-forum/190520-iphone-widget-mockups.html

3. Theming. No, not your lame jailbreak themes with stupid replacement icons and ship. Real themes, themes which really change the behaviour of the OS while still being slick as hell and smooth as butter. Heavily policed theming, all themes would need to be tested for absolute fluidity and quality.

4. 64GB. Pretty sure this will come next year. I don't know why everyone expected it this year, Look at the upgrades in the past, iPhone and iPhone 3G topped out at 16GB. iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 top out at 32GB. iPhone 5 and iPhone 6 will top out at 64GB. Don't even ask for 128GB, it's too expensive for mass production and will be for a while.

5. LTE. It is upon us, believe it or not. I fully believe AT&T is going to bring out an (albeit weak) LTE network (no weaker than Sprint's WiMax, which isn't even as fast as HSPA 3G). I happen to know for a fact that Telus and Bell in Canada have been constructing an LTE network since they completed their HSPA network, so they'll be ready in early 2010 for testing, summer 2010 for launch most likely. Rogers is no slouch either, I suspect they've been working on LTE even longer than Bell and Telus.

1,3, an4 from this list sound great. LTE on AT&T is laughable but your not on AT&T so it's probably more of a reality for you (jealousy).